Review: CEntrance DACport Slim DAC/Amp Combo
Jul 13, 2016 at 2:12 AM Post #376 of 694
I also use the Cygnus with the Dacport in low gain and it power the cygnus just fine, even the monk+ or my Fostex X-00. Had anyone here try to use the dacport as just a DAC and feed the signal out to other amp? I'm eyeing up the Magni 2 Uber for the pre amp and possible better amp section. 

Jul 13, 2016 at 12:27 PM Post #377 of 694
I also use the Cygnus with the Dacport in low gain and it power the cygnus just fine, even the monk+ or my Fostex X-00. Had anyone here try to use the dacport as just a DAC and feed the signal out to other amp? I'm eyeing up the Magni 2 Uber for the pre amp and possible better amp section. 

No experience with that. However, I have heard that the DacPort Slim's line out configuration is slightly too hot. The DacPort HD's line out configuration is quite a bit too hot.

Jul 14, 2016 at 4:36 PM Post #379 of 694
Nobody can tell as this is a new product.

All I can say is that some have claimed to have plugged the original DACport in their computer for over half a decade and is still doing fine. This isn't the original DACport though. It just shares a name so no guarantees.

If you are worried, either unplug it or place it on a cheap aluminum heatsink. The latter is what people did with the original DACport and it seems to have worked out well.

Jul 16, 2016 at 1:59 PM Post #380 of 694
  Just got mine. Very nice indeed. I was somewhat surprised that it couldn't drive well 64ohm earbuds without the gain switch to high (the highest volume does not appeal when not adjusted to night hearing) - at which point I imagine it can drive anything.
Using the Cygnus earbuds I am fairly certain it is superior to the Dragonfly, if nothing else I can confirm that I can hear more happening in the background (Karajan 1963,2014 Beethoven Symphonies).

It is certainly superior to the E10K.

Edit: It does run pretty hot, well within tolerance in contact with the skin though. And it doesn't matter which gain you use. Not really a complaint, just something to note.

Read my first impression above. I was wondering the same. Some very easily driven cans like Hd598 needed couldn't produce high enough volume with Centrance slim.

Jul 16, 2016 at 2:02 PM Post #381 of 694

I did it with a Meier Audio amp. Works fine.

Jul 17, 2016 at 5:45 AM Post #382 of 694
I just got this from a Massdrop event. I must say that I do like this with every headphone I have tried this with. I would also say that it sounds very authentic. I compare it to the Dragonfly Red and the Mojo. Maybe my ears are not that well trained, but for $99, this is hard to beat for some semi-serious listening sessions. The mojo is amazing for what it does in such a small form factor, but it is also 5x more expensive. The DFR seems to pick and choose which phones it likes. I used the LCD-XC, Ether C, SE846, VE Duke, Zen 2.0, and the 7XX for comparisons. This seems to be one of those no-brainer decisions, especially if your wallet is getting beat up with this hobby.

Jul 19, 2016 at 1:32 AM Post #384 of 694
  This thing is not supposed to be able to play DSD but unless I'm very much mistaken it handles DSD just fine. Weird.

Indeed, because the AKM 4490 chip inside can handle DSD. 

Jul 19, 2016 at 5:57 AM Post #386 of 694
The Slim is not suppose to naively handle dsd though. It is intentionally crippled by design.

I know, but the fact is that it does let the audio go through rather than getting a File not supported error.

Jul 20, 2016 at 6:05 AM Post #387 of 694

I know, but the fact is that it does let the audio go through rather than getting a File not supported error.

Maybe check to see if your music player is switched to playback for pcm dacs?

For me in Foobar, if I select dsd output, I get no sound. If I select pcm output for a dsd file, I get sound.

If it's not the case for you, then congrats! Somehow, you unlocked your DACport slim and now have native DSD support!
biggrin.gif

Jul 20, 2016 at 10:48 AM Post #388 of 694
I'm using Foobar2000, Jriver and the latest version of AIMP. Can you please tell me where do I see those settings? I don't have this option in the preference -> output section.

Jul 20, 2016 at 2:14 PM Post #389 of 694
Not sure about anything other than Foobar2K.

Here's how I set mine to DSD output mode.

Of course, I could be wrong and you actually somehow unlocked your DACport Slim. :D

Jul 20, 2016 at 5:41 PM Post #390 of 694
Alright, so I have tested some DSD files with Foobar 2000 and it works quite well when I set the output on PCM. However when I set it for the DSD option it will play the file but I can't really hear anything in the background.

As for JRiver, the same files sound SO MUCH BETTER than foobar 2000 even with the same settings. When I set the output to DSD in DoP format they sound very good. However when I set to DSD the audio files still work and I can hear the music playing in the background but in a very bad quality and a lot of pesky noise.

With AIMP the DSD files work quite well but it's probably playing as DSD in DoP format. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back