Review: CEntrance DACport Slim DAC/Amp Combo
Mar 19, 2016 at 10:41 PM Post #317 of 694
Considering getting a cheap external dac/amp combo, and I was seriously debating between the E17 and the Schiit Fulla, and now I am introduced to the CEntrance DACport Slim on Massdrop. Since the Massdrop is over in a few days, is it okay for somebody to kindly share their opinions on each, or link comparisons by others? I just started my research, so I'm not sure if I can really find enough info and make a good decision in less than 3 days on my own.

Thanks in advance!

Mar 27, 2016 at 7:50 PM Post #318 of 694
So, I just bought my own CEntrance DAC/amp, (and Sennheiser HD600s, oh yeah) and I really want to connect it to my Ipod nano, which is the newest generation (7th gen). I see people on here doing it with their iPhones and iPads, but I was wondering if anyone knew if that would work with my Nano. And how would I do it?

Mar 27, 2016 at 7:56 PM Post #319 of 694
  So, I just bought my own CEntrance DAC/amp, (and Sennheiser HD600s, oh yeah) and I really want to connect it to my Ipod nano, which is the newest generation (7th gen). I see people on here doing it with their iPhones and iPads, but I was wondering if anyone knew if that would work with my Nano. And how would I do it?

Welcome to Head-Fi!  The newest generation is the 8th Gen (I own it because of a recall on my 1st gen).  You can connect to the DACport Slim the same way that I connect to my iPhone 6 (first post/my review in this thread).

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Mar 27, 2016 at 8:05 PM Post #321 of 694
  Oh, I didn't know that the 8th gen came out, lol. But yeah, thanks so much, and I'll definitely let you know if it goes well.

Yes, it's out. 
normal_smile .gif
 No worries at all, and take care.

Mar 30, 2016 at 7:37 AM Post #322 of 694
Hi, moedawg140

I saw you also posted th-x00 review, can you be so kind to comment on comparison of these headphones with dacport slim and with grace m9xx. I really don't wish to spend 5 times more money for grace, but as I understand m9xx output resistance is 0.08ohm and dacport slim have 1ohm which make it worse synergy with th-x00.. But is it really much worse details/noise/soundstage? Really need your suggestion. Thanks in advance.

Apr 7, 2016 at 6:10 PM Post #323 of 694
CEntrance has officially released their latest firmware update (Rev. 7.9.5) which is supposed to run flawlessly on Windows 10 http://www.centrance.com/downloads/ud/

Apr 7, 2016 at 7:04 PM Post #324 of 694
  Hi, moedawg140

I saw you also posted th-x00 review, can you be so kind to comment on comparison of these headphones with dacport slim and with grace m9xx. I really don't wish to spend 5 times more money for grace, but as I understand m9xx output resistance is 0.08ohm and dacport slim have 1ohm which make it worse synergy with th-x00.. But is it really much worse details/noise/soundstage? Really need your suggestion. Thanks in advance.

Sorry for the delay - during the time you sent this, I was dealing with a troll, and didn't get to answer.  Make sure to add an "@", like this: @moedawg140, so I can know for sure you mentioned me.  Thanks in advance.

To answer your question and not go into too much detail:

The DACport Slim and the m9XX are exemplary for their respective prices.

If you don't mind a little bass lift with the DACport Slim compared to the m9XX and less clarity, the DACport Slim is a great choice.

The m9XX is more detailed, coherent and resolute than the DACport Slim, but is more reference/balanced in sound than the DACport Slim - so the m9XX can be a great choice as well.

With regard to the resistance figures, I wouldn't worry about those too much, as listening to both with your setup and coming up with your own favorite DAC/amp is what really matters.  I do understand that you may not be able to listen to both before you purchase, but I wouldn't worry about paper measurements (especially these specific resistance measurements) too much.  It's all about overall synergy of the entire setup and how it individually sounds to you, in my opinion. 

If you only have $100 to spend, the DACport Slim is great.  If you can, or want to spend more for an auditory upgrade in my opinion, then the m9XX is great for its price.

Hope this helps.

CEntrance has officially released their latest firmware update (Rev. 7.9.5) which is supposed to run flawlessly on Windows 10 http://www.centrance.com/downloads/ud/

Thanks for the post!  I didn't have an issue with Windows 10 before the update, and 7.9.5 works great with the DACport Slim and Windows 10.  Thanks again! 
beerchug.gif

Apr 8, 2016 at 10:00 AM Post #326 of 694
I received my DACport Slim about a week ago with the intent to use it at work.  Tested it at home first and it worked flawlessly.  Unfortunately my laptop at work has issues with music playback when stressing the CPU with other tasks.  I'd hoped the USB rather than onboard DAC would alleviate the issues, but it did not.  Audio was still skipping when closing large Chrome tabs down and booting virtual machines.

Next alternative was to use my HTC M8 with the DACport.  Though it worked, the audio had very brief interruptions every 10-15 seconds.  I now blame this on my Lollipop 5.0 ROM but didn't want to go through the hassle of upgrading to Marshmallow.  Final alternative was blowing the dust off my Nexus 7 2013 tablet (Android 6.0) and using that with the DACport.  Total success.  No chopping, loud clear audio, and with a Y-cable off Amazon the DACport is being powered and the Nexus 7 is being charged via external power.

Apr 9, 2016 at 1:42 AM Post #327 of 694
  I received my DACport Slim about a week ago with the intent to use it at work.  Tested it at home first and it worked flawlessly.  Unfortunately my laptop at work has issues with music playback when stressing the CPU with other tasks.  I'd hoped the USB rather than onboard DAC would alleviate the issues, but it did not.  Audio was still skipping when closing large Chrome tabs down and booting virtual machines.

Next alternative was to use my HTC M8 with the DACport.  Though it worked, the audio had very brief interruptions every 10-15 seconds.  I now blame this on my Lollipop 5.0 ROM but didn't want to go through the hassle of upgrading to Marshmallow.  Final alternative was blowing the dust off my Nexus 7 2013 tablet (Android 6.0) and using that with the DACport.  Total success.  No chopping, loud clear audio, and with a Y-cable off Amazon the DACport is being powered and the Nexus 7 is being charged via external power.

I had a lot of issues on my work laptop with skipping on different DACs. I finally fixed it by using Foobar 2000 and setting the buffer length to something farily high (at least 6000 ms). Stuttering was almost completely gone after that, only happens extremely rarely when I'm doing a ton of stuff at once.

Apr 9, 2016 at 9:44 AM Post #328 of 694

I had a lot of issues on my work laptop with skipping on different DACs. I finally fixed it by using Foobar 2000 and setting the buffer length to something farily high (at least 6000 ms). Stuttering was almost completely gone after that, only happens extremely rarely when I'm doing a ton of stuff at once.

This is sacrilege I know, but I do most of my playback via Google Music. Good tip though, I'll try it for local albums.

Apr 9, 2016 at 12:32 PM Post #329 of 694

This is sacrilege I know, but I do most of my playback via Google Music. Good tip though, I'll try it for local albums.

I'd be using Tidal or Spotify or something, but the internet at my work is so bad I can't even do that.

Anyway, back to topic, I bought this DAC for my brother for his birthday, and I bought him Beyerdynamic DTX 910 headphones for Christmas, so he has a halfway decent setup now and he's totally in love with it. Really happy with how it turned out.

Apr 10, 2016 at 1:54 PM Post #330 of 694
Picked up the DacPort Slim on the last drop because of all the amazing reviews and I was looking for a USB type amp/dac combo. Just got around to opening it up today. Before I plugged into my PC I decided to give it a go on my Nexus 6p to see if it would work. Well I'm happy to report that this tiny piece of kit + the Fostex TH-X00 mahogany sound absolutely amazing out of my phone. I didn't think anything could really improve the sound of music from my phone (beyond viper4android, decent headphones, dedicated portable amp/dac and high quality lossy or lossless files) but the Slim makes even Google Music sound better. I'm not a pure audiophile by any means, but I know when something produces much better sound and quality of sound.

Quite impressed with the Slim, especially for the price and size. And being able to use with phone/tablet and PC? Icing on the cake. Definitely worth the price of admission so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back