Review: CEntrance DACport Slim DAC/Amp Combo
Jan 16, 2016 at 4:44 AM Post #286 of 694
  I have a centrance dacport lx with is supposably a dacport (dac/amp) but without the dac section. 
However after doing some research, the dacport lx does actually contain the same amp inside but is buffered. 
So from my laptop windows 7 or my android lg g3 phone with my headphones directly plug without an amp, the buffered amp section of the dacport lx is automatically on max and so with the absence of a volume control, is adjusted via the digital control on the laptop /android device.
Howeve with the dacport lx connected to a headphones amp, the same digital control is present that effects the volume the same way.
So how do I know for sure that the amp connected to the dacport lx is not just double amping the buffered amp section of the dacport lx instead of completely bypassing the amp section.
I am using the usb audio player pro because my lg g3 doesn't support usb otg native. 

FYI, the DACport LX is a completely different generation of product. The current generation, and the topic of this thread, are the DACport Slim and the quite similar DACport HD, released in 2015.

You may still find some responses here, but your product was released 2010-2011.

Jan 16, 2016 at 5:08 AM Post #287 of 694
  FYI, the DACport LX is a completely different generation of product. The current generation, and the topic of this thread, are the DACport Slim and the quite similar DACport HD, released in 2015.

You may still find some responses here, but your product was released 2010-2011.

yes I know but since this is a newer thread I thought I would get more response.
So can anybody shed some light on this? 

Jan 16, 2016 at 10:55 PM Post #291 of 694

Making it a DAC essentially, which is what it was marketed as.  Turn volume to max on your computer and control with the amp you hook up is the usual advice.

Actually it's false marketing by Centrace stating the lx to be a dac when it is essentially a dacport with the same amp but locked at line-level and the only only difference between the dacport and lx is the dacport uses a volume potentiometer and lx using fixed-resistor divider. 
So in a nutshell, anyone looking to plug in an external amp to the lx will just be double amping the fixed max volume of the interanal amp. 
This is why if I directly plug in headphones to the lx without an attached amp, the amp is still in use. 
You don't hear other companies companies releasing stand alone dac but with an amp section not publicly advertised. The lx is obviously marketed towards people who are looking to connect with an external amp so if the public knew about the truth, I doubt the product would sell.   

Jan 17, 2016 at 3:01 AM Post #292 of 694
Actually it's false marketing by Centrace stating the lx to be a dac when it is essentially a dacport with the same amp but locked at line-level and the only only difference between the dacport and lx is the dacport uses a volume potentiometer and lx using fixed-resistor divider. 

So in a nutshell, anyone looking to plug in an external amp to the lx will just be double amping the fixed max volume of the interanal amp. 

This is why if I directly plug in headphones to the lx without an attached amp, the amp is still in use. 

You don't hear other companies companies releasing stand alone dac but with an amp section not publicly advertised. The lx is obviously marketed towards people who are looking to connect with an external amp so if the public knew about the truth, I doubt the product would sell.   

I really don't understand what you're trying to say but it's normal for a DAC only device to have just a line out and not a volume control. If this is not what you're complaining about then I'm sorry if I've misunderstood.

Jan 17, 2016 at 3:26 AM Post #293 of 694

Do you know that all DACs usually need a opamp? 

Jan 17, 2016 at 3:51 AM Post #294 of 694
I really don't understand what you're trying to say but it's normal for a DAC only device to have just a line out and not a volume control. If this is not what you're complaining about then I'm sorry if I've misunderstood.

no I perfectly understand it's normal for a DAC only unit to not have volume control, it's the fact the lx claims to be a digital to analog converter when it actually consists of a amp that is not publicly advertised. 

Jan 25, 2016 at 11:39 AM Post #296 of 694
Double-amping is not the evil that some people make it out to be.

Virtually all dac chips require some sort of buffer on the outputs. In many cases, there is also an I/V conversion stage before that. Sometimes the converter also provides the buffering necessary.

If your buffer can provide enough current and is stable driving a reactive load while maintaining your desired specifications, then the difference compared to an amp is largely semantic.

Feb 13, 2016 at 7:08 AM Post #297 of 694

this is what I found at mass drop - replied by CEntrance:

"...due to special mode filtering we employ in the AK4490 (our secret sauce), there is more clarity in the midrange and a punchier bass. "
  Short Delay Sharp Roll-off is the default configuration, which is used on most AK4490-based devices.  Based on the sound signature of my DACport HD, that appears to be the case here as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back