Review: CEntrance DACport Slim DAC/Amp Combo
Oct 13, 2015 at 4:54 PM Post #166 of 694
I had a chance to audition HiFi-M8 a while back, and as far as amplifier section goes, it's in a very different category, so direct comparisons are not particularly fair to DACport HD.  On the other hand, M8 is based on a much older DAC chip, not quite as resolving (or bright) as AK4490 in HD.  Then again, I don't think there's a definitive answer on the type of chip in DACport Slim, it might just be the same older AKM chip.

The Slim and the HD both use the AK4490 DAC chip.

Oct 13, 2015 at 7:13 PM Post #168 of 694
Quote:
  It's highly doubtful, considering different supported capabilities of these devices and a relatively high cost of AK4490 chip.  Slim is most likely based on AK4396 - but only Michael Goodman or someone esle from Centrance could answer this definitively.

I didn't pull it out of thin air. He already confirmed as much during the Slim's drop on MassDrop (under alias "CEntrance"):

"DACport Slim and DACport HD. They are built on the same platform and share the amazing AK4490 DAC from AKM, and our award-winning Class-A headphone amp with no-caps signal path. Both have the rotary volume control with perfect tracking. The differences are as follows:

- DACport Slim is more affordable, but still boasts 192kHz resolution and impressive 450mW of total output power.
- DACport HD features 384 kHz resolution and DSD, as well as extra power (775mW total).

We feel that the majority of people will be very happy with DACport Slim, so it's offered here on Massdrop by an exclusive arrangement. You simply cannot get this kind of price/performance anywhere else."

"The DAC used is the AK4490 -- newest and best."

Even the MassDrop description page and the CEntrance product page say as much. There's a reason M. Goodman & CEntrance were very happy to provide the Slim at the MassDrop exclusive price they did ($99). At first I thought it was the typical promotional fare but now I don't think that was the case. The Slim offers quite impressive performance for its price. As does the HD even if it has a $200 MSRP. As such I doubt they'll offer the Slim through any other vendor. As to the differences in capabilities, based on the above it sounds like they purposely and precisely neutered the Slim a little to keep it at that price without encroaching on sale of the HD. Makes sense to me.

Great device. Hmm...I might write a review for it, to the best of my ability.
rolleyes.gif

Oct 13, 2015 at 8:01 PM Post #169 of 694
  Quote:

I didn't pull it out of thin air. He already confirmed as much during the Slim's drop on MassDrop (under alias "CEntrance")... 

It's possible - after all, it was a limited, one-time release.  The two definitely share the board, and at one point a prototype of the device was demonstrated under the name "Slim", but with DSD/DXD in the spec, and at the time was said to have 450mW power.  It was even referred to as "Slim" in some of the descriptions of the IndieGoGo campaign - even though the title read "HD" by that time.  But at the same time, if the differences are only in firmware - then this also opens a possibility of getting DSD/DXD support on Slim as well :)

Oct 13, 2015 at 8:22 PM Post #170 of 694
Quote:
  But at the same time, if the differences are only in firmware - then this also opens a possibility of getting DSD/DXD support on Slim as well :)

Yes, Goodman alluded to that prototype in his drop comments. He said that shortly after its demonstration they finalized the specs of the Slim and the HD to have what we have now. Even if I'm no where near needing DSD/DXD spec (I might never), I'm totally with you on a possible firmware unlock. I remember someone asking as much during the drop but I don't remember him offering a reply
wink_face.gif

Oct 14, 2015 at 3:15 PM Post #174 of 694
Anyone know which of the built-in AKM digital filters used by DACport Slim? Not sure if something like this is a design secret.

Short Delay Sharp Roll-off is the default configuration, which is used on most AK4490-based devices.  Based on the sound signature of my DACport HD, that appears to be the case here as well.

Oct 15, 2015 at 11:33 AM Post #176 of 694
With UAPP and external battery the Slim seem to work will all android devices with otg support :

Interesting, wondering if the same can work with iPhone CCK config.

Any word on Lancea vs Dacport Slim? EDIT: nevermind I found your post. I also have GO720 so probably Slim would be better for me too :))

Oct 15, 2015 at 2:38 PM Post #177 of 694
I joined the drop :p

Oct 15, 2015 at 2:41 PM Post #178 of 694
Oct 15, 2015 at 2:51 PM Post #179 of 694
Can anyone tell me what the volume dial is like? Does it have substantial tension to it, or does it feel kind of cheap? It's hard to guess the quality just from looking at the Massdrop pictures.

Thanks!

Oct 15, 2015 at 4:04 PM Post #180 of 694
  Can anyone tell me what the volume dial is like? Does it have substantial tension to it, or does it feel kind of cheap? It's hard to guess the quality just from looking at the Massdrop pictures.

Thanks!

It's definitely on the "kind of cheap" side.  But it's hard to expect something different in such a small, low cost device.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back