Review: CEntrance DACport Slim DAC/Amp Combo
Oct 10, 2015 at 10:10 AM Post #151 of 694
Today I found some time to compare the Slim with the Geek Out 720 and SHOZY Lancea and these are my foundings:

The Slim has a volume control the others don't.

The Lances is smoother in presentation which also means that it's less distinct (slightly overly smooth actually). The bass on the Lancea is also boomier in comparison. The Lancea lacks volume control.

The GO720 actually feels dull in comparison (never thought I'd say this since I really like it). The GO720 is closer to the presentation of the Slim but still loses out on some things. The GO720 lacks volume control (it was actually REMOVED!)

This is what I find the Slim to be better than both the others on:

Bass is better defined and reach deeper. Separation and soundstage is also better. Most importantly I find the Slim to have a better timbre to the notes (man do I love timbre :wink:) giving it an overall more enjoyable signature.

Although these are all solid performers the Slim is clearly a step up from the other two for me. It's simply more musical and entertaining. Did I also mentioned that it has a volume control :wink:

I've been listening to all three with a split box and matched the volume with a simple app on my phone. Listing was done through the Fidelio X2 and VE Duke.

Oct 10, 2015 at 11:53 AM Post #153 of 694
So will this work with iOS devices with A CKK (lightning to passive USB) connector?

The linked post is currently what works with at least the iPad:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/778966/review-centrance-dacport-slim-dac-amp-combo/135#post_11950264.

Welcome to Head-Fi! 
beerchug.gif

Oct 10, 2015 at 1:18 PM Post #154 of 694
The linked post is currently what works with at least the iPad:

Welcome to Head-Fi! :beerchug:

I should've phrased my question better. I'm wondering if the reason it works is if that specific Lightning-USB adapter is passive?

Thank you! I was here a few years ago but lost my login email/password. I'd abandoned the site after getting my ES5 to try and avoid upgrade-itis!

Oct 10, 2015 at 1:24 PM Post #155 of 694
I should've phrased my question better. I'm wondering if the reason it works is if that specific Lightning-USB adapter is passive?

Thank you! I was here a few years ago but lost my login email/password. I'd abandoned the site after getting my ES5 to try and avoid upgrade-itis!

More than likely, however I am not 100 percent sure, without speculating.  As long as a particular method works, that's all I need to know! 

While I was working in IT, we would seldom know exactly the reason why specific actions or non-actions took place.  Nevertheless, we did know the process(es) how to get specific actions to work for what we wanted/needed.

Oct 11, 2015 at 12:06 PM Post #157 of 694
  any idea when it will be back on massdrop ?

Hey -- Not sharing information of commercial nature, but rather of product life-cycle nature.

The current Massdrop sale on DACport may in fact be the last one. Ever.

I'm simply informing. I'm not selling anything or encouraging any action on anyone's part.

The second quote is from another thread. You can purchase the DACport HD, which has more power and DSD capability.

Oct 11, 2015 at 12:57 PM Post #158 of 694
okay thank you i wanted this one because it's cheaper and maybe works with otg androdi because it's 450mw compared to 1000mw dacport HD that would need a powered hub.. and more costly,
i'm just looking for a portable dac/amp that could drive easily high impedance headphone incase i buy one in the feature and at moment i need a bit more power to drive my headphones..
so if anyone want to sell one i'm in, i'm from france.

Oct 11, 2015 at 2:04 PM Post #159 of 694
The second quote is from another thread. You can purchase the DACport HD, which has more power and DSD capability.

Judging by the date and context of his post, I think mgoodman was referring to the DACport (aka the "classic") and not the DACport Slim. The Slim may appear on MassDrop again, however I don't know when or how soon. I doubt anyone but CEntrance and MassDrop know that. Give it some time as they smooth over any issues from the first drop.

Oct 12, 2015 at 8:31 PM Post #160 of 694
"As far as bringing the product back, this is up to Massdrop. We spoke to them and told them that we wanted to first make sure all issues are fixed so that we only have happy customers. That would make the second drop go much smoother." from Centrance on massdrop.com
so there is hope it will have another drop.

Oct 12, 2015 at 9:59 PM Post #161 of 694
from today's drop status update:

Due to an error at our vendor's warehouse, the USB cables we received and shipped back out are charge only and without data transfer capabilities. Our vendor is currently preparing the replacement cables for shipment, and they will be shipped express to our warehouse. Our warehouse team should be receiving the cables by Wednesday, and we will immediately start shipping them back out upon arrival. Apologies for the delays in getting you all your USB cables.

so it's official - the usb cables they sent us were not so great

Oct 13, 2015 at 5:05 AM Post #162 of 694
for those still having problems with your PC, I got a reply from Centrance about the issues people have been having

I suspect your Slim needs an update to fix an issue seen with some USB controllers, which will be ready late this week.  If you have access to a Mac, an update will be ready as early as tomorrow.

So just a short wait longer and hopefully that'll solve our issues

Oct 13, 2015 at 12:57 PM Post #164 of 694
  Any HiFi-M8 owners here? I'd like to know how the Slim or HD compare to it if someone has both!

+1

I have the same question.
Is the sound significantly different than these, or different due to power limitations, or quite similar?

Oct 13, 2015 at 4:05 PM Post #165 of 694

+1

I have the same question.
Is the sound significantly different than these, or different due to power limitations, or quite similar?

I had a chance to audition HiFi-M8 a while back, and as far as amplifier section goes, it's in a very different category, so direct comparisons are not particularly fair to DACport HD.  On the other hand, M8 is based on a much older DAC chip, not quite as resolving (or bright) as AK4490 in HD.  Then again, I don't think there's a definitive answer on the type of chip in DACport Slim, it might just be the same older AKM chip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back