Review: CEntrance DACport Slim DAC/Amp Combo
Aug 29, 2015 at 12:54 AM Post #16 of 694
1.  The DACport Slim is $99 as reviewed.

2.  I did not detect any hiss or background noise when using the DACport and SE846 combination.

Geek Out vs. DACport Slim (listened/compared this morning) - The Geek Out has a more distant sounding signature.  Slightly more tinny than the DACport Slim.  There is not nearly as much attack as the DACport Slim.  There is less heft, bite, and the notes do not attack with authority compared to the DACport Slim.  The DACport Slim embodies a more full sound, where you feel the music (literally and figuratively) more than the Geek Out.  The DACport Slim sounds more clear and emits a more open and spacious sound, presenting spatial cues and conveys plankton/micro-detail with ease.

I listened to the Geek Pulse X and Geek LPS stack throughout the day and as I type.  I listened with a re-balanced Fostex TH-900 and balanced HIFIMAN HE1000 to compare headphones on the stack, and using the HE1000, SE 3.5 mm to 1/4 inch with the stack and SE 3.5 mm with the DACport Slim, comparing the two DAC/amps.  Amazing synergy, immense soundstage and highly resolute complete sound signature.  Why do I mention this stack?  Well, I a/b-ed with the HE1000 with multiple songs and genres, and even though the Geek stack is an amazing sounding piece of equipment, the stack does not completely leave the DACport Slim in the dust.  The DACport slim is less resolute, but is respectable in its own right.  The DAPport Slim has a signature that is natural, with a slight bass tilt, and as a result, detected a more palpable and invigorating bass and overall attack than the Geek stack.  Amazing results for a device that small and cost-effective, no doubt in my mind - in my opinion.

I will listen to the most up to date Dragonfly later today or tomorrow if I can.

Regarding doubting the DACport Slim won't surpass the Geek Out (in my opinion) - check above (first reply to you).

The drop is regarding only the Massdrop edition of the DACport Slim, as reviewed.

Correct, thanks for the info.

I will attempt to listen to them both later today or tomorrow if I have time.

I did not listen to the DACport original with the DACport Slim, so it would be difficult to impossible to compare the two in a meaningful manner.  With that said, I spoke to a friend I met here, and he said my DACport Slim sounds better than the DACport original.  That's confirmation enough for me! :xf_eek:

Congrats in advance (to purchasing and using the DACport Slim)!

[rule]
Off to sleep for about a little over an hour.  I apologize in advance again if it takes time for me to reply.

Thanks for all your replies. Sounds very promising.

Aug 29, 2015 at 1:10 PM Post #20 of 694
Yes. Similar to the original Dacport and the Dragonfly, just set volume to max and use the proper cable. The difference is the Slim should be set to "low" gain when you do this. 

Aug 29, 2015 at 5:14 PM Post #22 of 694
  Geek Out vs. DACport Slim (listened/compared this morning) - The Geek Out has a more distant sounding signature.  Slightly more tinny than the DACport Slim.  There is not nearly as much attack as the DACport Slim.  There is less heft, bite, and the notes do not attack with authority compared to the DACport Slim.  The DACport Slim embodies a more full sound, where you feel the music (literally and figuratively) more than the Geek Out.  The DACport Slim sounds more clear and emits a more open and spacious sound, presenting spatial cues and conveys plankton/micro-detail with ease.

Regarding doubting the DACport Slim won't surpass the Geek Out (in my opinion) - check above (first reply to you).

Was this the Geek Out Version1 or the current?latest Version 2? Seems the Version 2 is significantly improved over the first version. 
I never took to the first version. Very detailed and transparent but lacked didn't sound engaging or musical to me. Lacked fullness and warmth. 
So I may really prefer the Dacport Slim. But as for "heft and bite"...what do you mean? When you say fullness it sounds like full mids but when you say heft and bite, sounds like V-shape--bass boost and treble brightness. 

Aug 29, 2015 at 9:13 PM Post #24 of 694
Thanks for the review! I wanted to do one myself, but it seems that CEntrance aren't answering my emails at the moment 
frown.gif

In regard to harder to drive headphones, are you sure that the HE1000 is a good test of that? I mean, after all, the HE1000 only has a 35 ohm rating, which is closer to portable than anything. Sure, it benefits from power, but it sounds good out of an iPhone 6 as well...

Do you have a K7XX, HD600/650, or a Beyer T90 to pair it up with? That would really test if it was meant for harder to drive headphones, IMO.

Aug 30, 2015 at 7:21 AM Post #27 of 694
I'm looking for dac/amp to use at work, but we're not allowed to install external drivers on our computers. Would this still work at 24/96 without installing the drivers, other than those that automtically installs when you connect it to a windows computer?

Aug 30, 2015 at 2:10 PM Post #28 of 694
  i agree, their website is actually a little confusing, it had me thinking there were 2 diff products, slim and hd. smh.

The difference between the Slim and HD ...  what the extra $100 buys you.  Hope this helps someone.

http://centrance.com/products/dacport/

Digital Specs

Max Sample Rate (Slim)192kHz (Also: 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4kHz)
x.gif
Max Sample Rate (HD)384kHz (Also: 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4, 192, 352kHz), DSD
 Max Resolution (Slim)24-bit (Also supports 16-bit)
x.gif
Max Resolution (HD)32-bit (Also supports 16 and 24-bit)
 ConnectionUSB 2.0, asynchronous
 Local clockMil-spec clock, 10 ppm precision, 1 ps jitter
 CompatibilityAny computer running Mac, PC, Linux. Driver is available for Windows.

Analog Specs

Frequency Response20Hz...40kHz +/-0.2dB
 Dynamic Range (Slim)109 dB, re +11.5dBu, max gain
 Dynamic Range (HD)112 dB, re +14.5dBu, max gain
 THD+N (Slim)0.003% (FS, 1kHz)
 THD+N (HD)0.002% (FS, 1kHz)
 Noise Floor7 µV RMS (A-weight), max gain
 Audio OutputStereo 3.5mm (1/8") jack, headphone or line output

Headphone Amplifier

Output Impedance1 Ohm
 Amplifier TtypeDirect Class-A, no caps in the signal path
 Max Level (Slim)2.9 V rms / +11.5 dBu
 Max Level (HD)4.1 V rms / +14.5 dBu
 Output Power (Slim)450mW (total), drives 600 Ohm headphones
 Output Power (HD)775mW (total), drives 600 Ohm headphones

General Specs

Input powerUSB bus (no external power supply needed)
 Gain Switch20dB range
 Internal power supplies±9V, dual, super-clean analog rails
 Unit Dimensions:3" (7.6cm) L, 1.1" (2.9cm) W, 0.4" (1.1cm) H
 Weight:2.5 ounces (72 grams)

Aug 30, 2015 at 8:46 PM Post #30 of 694

The difference between the Slim and HD ...  what the extra $100 buys you.  Hope this helps someone.

http://centrance.com/products/dacport/

Digital Specs

Max Sample Rate (Slim)192kHz (Also: 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4kHz)
x.gif
Max Sample Rate (HD)384kHz (Also: 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4, 192, 352kHz), DSD
 Max Resolution (Slim)24-bit (Also supports 16-bit)
x.gif
Max Resolution (HD)32-bit (Also supports 16 and 24-bit)
 ConnectionUSB 2.0, asynchronous
 Local clockMil-spec clock, 10 ppm precision, 1 ps jitter
 CompatibilityAny computer running Mac, PC, Linux. Driver is available for Windows.

Analog Specs

Frequency Response20Hz...40kHz +/-0.2dB
 Dynamic Range (Slim)109 dB, re +11.5dBu, max gain
 Dynamic Range (HD)112 dB, re +14.5dBu, max gain
 THD+N (Slim)0.003% (FS, 1kHz)
 THD+N (HD)0.002% (FS, 1kHz)
 Noise Floor7 µV RMS (A-weight), max gain
 Audio OutputStereo 3.5mm (1/8") jack, headphone or line output

Headphone Amplifier

Output Impedance1 Ohm
 Amplifier TtypeDirect Class-A, no caps in the signal path
 Max Level (Slim)2.9 V rms / +11.5 dBu
 Max Level (HD)4.1 V rms / +14.5 dBu
 Output Power (Slim)450mW (total), drives 600 Ohm headphones
 Output Power (HD)775mW (total), drives 600 Ohm headphones

General Specs

Input powerUSB bus (no external power supply needed)
 Gain Switch20dB range
 Internal power supplies±9V, dual, super-clean analog rails
 Unit Dimensions:3" (7.6cm) L, 1.1" (2.9cm) W, 0.4" (1.1cm) H
 Weight:2.5 ounces (72 grams)

thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back