Review: Cardas Ear Speakers EM5813 Model 1
May 19, 2015 at 2:37 AM Post #16 of 24
If anyone would like to move on from these and try something new,PM me, and we can trade ☺

May 19, 2015 at 3:27 AM Post #17 of 24

Shirtclip OCD is no laughing matter.  I`ve cut a vacation short because of an inadequate shirt clip.

The cable is not removeable.  It is, however, about a kilometer long.  

WARS HAVE BEEN WON OR LOST DUE TO PROPER APPLICATIONS OF SHIRT CLIPS!

...how hard is it to get the case open? I'm really starting to appreciate IEMs that were built with some amount of fixability in mind (B+W C5, I'm looking at you disapprovingly)

Oct 8, 2017 at 12:56 AM Post #21 of 24
Bought this on a recent Massdrop offering... Figured I'd provide a few thoughts (not a review). This is with the provided foam tips, that i liked the most. Liked the sound of the big white stacked tips. Discomfort was what I imagine is early childbirth. I tried what I tough I'd like better, my ue900 tips. But surprisingly it squelched the treble more than the foam tips. And further did something weird to phase and frequency response.

- Incredibly efficient. Driven great from my Opus #1, no need for my Mojo or M9XX.

- That efficiency lends itself to being extremely sensitive. I never before realized the hum I'd get in my opus #1 when plugged in to power to charge the battery, with any other full hp or iem. I could even distinguish differences in the buzz of the hum from different 5v power supplies. And that sensitivity is readily available in response to the slightest musical stimuli.

- if I hated EQ, I'd really not like this iem. Not at all.

Maybe if I was young, and really cared for my hearing, the treble of this would be 'enough'. But by 18 I'd already caused my hearing some damage. 35 years later, certainly not better.

- Luckily I LOVE equalization. As does this iem. It responds very well to it.

My EQ is as follows. Any positive opinion is based on this in effect in my opus #1.

(I do not know if each division is 1db or 0.5db, or other)

Hz : Division
31.5 : -3
63 : -3
125 : -3
250 : -2
500 : -3
1K : 3
2K : 5
4K : 0
8K : 6
16K : 9

ForEach, plus or minus 1 based on the music or my mood. It certainly is never sparkly. But it sounds great.

- Hours of listening loud, with the treble boosted as stated, yet no ringing in the ears.

- Today, I spent a bit over an hour at Audio46, auditioning & comparing/contrasting the iSine 20 & LCD i4 (no EQ), with plans to buy one. I left the shop and plugged this Cardas in my ears. I expected to be thorougly dissapointed. I activated the EQ, and was actually very satisfied with the sound. All but the top octave that is. That was unexpected; a pleasant surprise.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2018 at 6:30 PM Post #22 of 24
Bringing the dead back to life...

I've had these (two pairs) for a couple of years now and have periodically gone back to them during that time whenever I wanted a relaxed, rich, listen at lower volumes. These seem to have a fuller sound without needing to reach higher db's as other IEMs I have or have had.

The reason for adding to this thread is this: For the last few months, my pair at work seemed to not be as dark and rich sounding as I'd recall them to sound. I often found myself wondering to myself why I ever thought these were dark sounding IEMs in the past, as they were far more - dare I say it - "neutral" sounding. Yep, I said it! At least compared to before.

I wasn't sure about this until today.

I thought my work pair was starting to go out (one channel seemed quieter than the other) and thought maybe the driver in them were going out and that somehow contributed to the sound I was hearing. So I brought my pair from home into the office to compare.

The pair from home, which hasn't been used much, had the dark, rich, chocolatey sound I expected to hear. The office pair, not so much. And the balance issue I thought I heard yesterday was gone.

Which bring me to this: The EM 5813 apparently requires many, many hours of break-in to reach its potential. How many "many" hours? Who knows, just lots of manys.

These things are quite awesome!

Feb 14, 2021 at 9:50 PM Post #24 of 24
600 hours minimum
I’m not there yet (close) and ’yes’ the sound is still changing in profound ways.

These were my first set of headphones that I heard such huge audio playback differences in the initial 3 minutes. (the straight from the box sound was like ‘the wet blanket’ sound that was leveraged at them by a user, who them promptly returned them.)
I like how Cardas in box instructions gave direction to ‘dock them together’ by removing one of the tips and inserting the other driver into the flange of the first. (I made jokes about this with my partner, eye brows greatly raised).. but it does put resistance /loading on the units whilst being broken in that would equate to a human ear canal somewhat. (and lowers the noise for those sleeping nearby).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back