Review CablePro Freedom Cable for the HE500 and LCD2
May 1, 2013 at 8:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

Frank I

Columnist/Reviewer at Headphone.Guru
Review: The CablePro Freedom Cables for the Audeze LCD and  Hifiman Headphones   

Ted Paisley started CablePro in 1989.   He was doing custom installation and wiring for high end audio installations and realized that the sound of many systems were being limited by the wire that was being used.  He decided that he could make wire with a much better sound quality and decided to offer some cables for installation with  his custom work.  That was the beginning of the CablePro.  The Freedom  cable is their newest offering and it is priced very competitively at $169.00. The base price is for a 5 foot cable with a standard 1/4 inch jack.  There are options to customize the cable in any length and termination that you would need for your system.  The cable used for review was a 10 ft  optional single ended configuration for the HE500 which  brought the total price of the  cable to $210.00 and  the 5Ft standard cable was used  for the LCD2.2.  The cable is UPOCC copper.  The copper used is considered one of the best  quality copper to use in high end cable design. The Freedom cable is designed as two coaxial cables separated all the way up to ear piece and stuffed with cotton filler .  This helps to reduce any noise to the earpiece.  The cable is housed in a plastic black vinyl jacket in the standard configuration and the cotton jacket is available as an option.   The cable is well built and has some weight to the design.  The cotton sleeve is more attractive than the black vinyl sleeve that comes standard. The cables were burned in for about 100 hours prior to me doing any critical listening.

Sound

The HE500 comes  shipped with the  silver stock cable from Hifiman and I felt that the silver cable was very grainy and hard sounding.  It was also bright.  Silver has the tendency to sound bright to my ears in most configurations I have heard them used with.  The Freedom cable immediately transformed the hE500. The sound went from being bright to being more natural.  The brightness disappeared and the musicality starting to come through with the Freedom cable in the system.   I started to completely forget about the cable and became  involved with the music. The tone of the instruments became much more like live music.  I could hear deep into the sound stage. The delicate brushes used on drum recordings became very  noticeable.  I could hear in a very clear and non congested manner everything that was going on with the recording.  The focus of the sound stage was more 3D and you could see a clear picture into the sound stage.  The grain completely disappeared.  It was like using windex on a dirty window.  The veil was lifted.  The cable made the HE500 go from a pretender to a contender for one of the best headphones on the planet.  The LCD 2.2  has a ribbon type copper cable that comes stock with the headphone. The stock cable is an OFC copper design  and has a warmer sound signature than the silver cable used with the hE500.   The cable is a decent cable and the sound is good.  The Freedom cable increased the transparency.  It also made the music listening experience more enjoyable. The differences were subtle but the Freedom cable had a little more transparency and a grain free presentation.   The Freedom cable did step up the performance of the LCD2.2 a notch.  The  differences with the LCD2 were not as drastic as I had heard with the he500 but an improvement  over the stock cable nonetheless.

Conclusion

The CablePro cables are being offered  at a very competitive price.  Ted Paisley designed  a real world cable  that is being  offered for anyone looking for an upgrade for their planar headphones. I enjoyed my time with both cables. The Freedom transformed the HE500 and improved the LcD2.2.  The cables are a little heavy  but when placed on the floor should be acceptable to most users.  The cotton jacket is also more attractive and the one I would personally order if I were to purchase the Freedom Cable.  If you in the market for an an excellent upgrade cable at  a real world price the Freedom Cable should be on you must audition list.  Offered with 30 day trial period it is a no brainer.   If you do not like the cable you can return it for a refund.  The sound quality is excellent and it is a cable that I feel confident recommending.  Very nicely designed and an enthusiastic thumbs up. The CablePro is available factory direct. Their website is hereCablePro delivers high performance at home and on the road! | The ...

May 5, 2013 at 9:13 PM Post #4 of 27
Frank...I appreciate your continued contributions and well written reviews. Please keep them coming!!

May 9, 2013 at 6:25 PM Post #6 of 27
I used to have an earlier version of this cable before Ted released it to the public (cloth based coating of the exterior)  when I owned the HE-400, but I sold both the cable and HE-400 awhile ago. I recently acquired the HE-500 and I agree the silver cable has a very hard sound to it, even when running through the Hifiman EF5 amp. My question is, when you swapped out the stock cable with the Freedom Cable, how much did the bass tighten up? Thanks.

May 9, 2013 at 7:18 PM Post #7 of 27
The bass was tighter with the Freedom cable but the biggest difference was that the cable was grain free and not bright. It was all much better than the stock cable that came with the headphones.

May 9, 2013 at 8:05 PM Post #8 of 27
Ah, that's good to know. I really like how the bass is with the HE-500 already, its really good but I know it can dig deeper. I'll probably order the cable sometime over the weekend. Do you think that it's better to just pay the extra money for the 10ft cable instead of the 5ft?

May 9, 2013 at 10:03 PM Post #10 of 27
Quote:
Nice review Frank!

I'm a big fan of Ted and his CablePro gear, having used a bunch of it in my system. The Freedom series is particularly good and I think represents a solid value compared to what else is available from other brands. 

I'll second that. His power strips are also great and a bargain.

May 9, 2013 at 10:23 PM Post #11 of 27

The cable made the HE500 go from a pretender to a contender for one of the best headphones on the planet. 

Glad to read this - i was never convinced silver was the right choice and had been wrestling with my setup to tame the shrillness (and all the while telling myself that it sounded awesome). 
Just when I thought I had a perfect balance after a couple of days break it went back to sounding exactly as you described. Not to mention the microphonics...
Thanks for the review!

May 9, 2013 at 10:25 PM Post #12 of 27
Quote:

Glad to read this - i was never convinced silver was the right choice and had been wrestling with my setup to tame the shrillness (and all the while telling myself that it sounded awesome). 
Just when I thought I had a perfect balance after a couple of days break it went back to sounding exactly as you described. Not to mention the microphonics...
Thanks for the review!

Glad you liked it and thanks

Aug 8, 2013 at 2:37 AM Post #15 of 27
 I have not tried his headphone cables but I have bought one of his reverie II power strips and some of his power cables and they did improve the sound in my set up. Things became much more natural sounding and relaxed in in a good sense.
  My latest purchase is a pair of reverie power cords mainly for my emotiva powered monitors. They have made a difference especially with regards to dimensionality which has been greatly enhanced.
   I tried one tonight on my ray samuels otl  raptor headphone amp and I have to say that the sense of spaciousness has been exponentially enhanced . The reverie power cables are definitely worth checking out especially if spaciousness and dimensionality is one of your preferences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back