[Review] Brainwavz M4
Aug 2, 2012 at 11:20 AM Post #136 of 154
Quote:
Is there a lot of noise form the cable when using them without the clip? Do you hear the mic rubbing against you shirt etc? Also, how's the quality of the cable? Thanks! 

The cable is a thinner plastic-styled cable.  So microphonics is actually pretty good without the clip.  Do note that like all IEMs, these do have some microphonics and bone conduction.  Quality-wise, these cables don't feel as strong as the regular Brainwavz cables I'm used to.  It feels a lot cheaper.  

Aug 2, 2012 at 11:30 AM Post #137 of 154
Quote:

The cable is a thinner plastic-styled cable.  So microphonics is actually pretty good without the clip.  Do note that like all IEMs, these do have some microphonics and bone conduction.  Quality-wise, these cables don't feel as strong as the regular Brainwavz cables I'm used to.  It feels a lot cheaper.  

OK thanks for the reply. Damn, I read that the set with the mic had a lower quality cable, but before buying, I was live-chatting on the 'live chat' on mp4Nation. And that guy told me it was the same cable on both sets. Doesn't really matter a whole lot, but I always prefer better quality... I'll have to see them for myself when I receive them. 

Aug 2, 2012 at 11:40 AM Post #138 of 154
Quote:
OK thanks for the reply. Damn, I read that the set with the mic had a lower quality cable, but before buying, I was live-chatting on the 'live chat' on mp4Nation. And that guy told me it was the same cable on both sets. Doesn't really matter a whole lot, but I always prefer better quality... I'll have to see them for myself when I receive them. 

The IEM is still worth the price.  The thing that surprised me the most (despite feeling cheap), the cable doesn't tangle up easily and has a good bit of flexibility to it.  It's not too loose, but not tight either.  I like that part a lot, just wish better materials were used.  

Aug 2, 2012 at 3:52 PM Post #140 of 154
Strange, I felt like the cable was maybe the best I saw in an IEM at that price range. Very durable, although a bit microphonic (enter the shirt clip =)

Do you have a mic'd model or unmic'd? They both use different cables (unless Brainwavz changed cable design).

Sent from an iPod touch with TapaTalk... Autocorrect may alter the meaning of this message :p

Aug 2, 2012 at 11:23 PM Post #141 of 154
The latest production version of the M4 have had their cables changed, on both models, they are a black cable and thicker than what it was used on both the models. The splitter was also changed, it is now larger with reliefs, making them a lot more durable. The internal composition of the cabling has always been the same for both the models and is the same on the new cable. The plug was also changed, its slightly larger and flatter.

Aug 2, 2012 at 11:30 PM Post #142 of 154
Quote:
The latest production version of the M4 have had their cables changed, on both models, they are a black cable and thicket than what it was used on both the models. The splitter was also changed, it is now larger with reliefs, making them a lot more durable. The internal composition of the cabling has always been the same for both the models and is the same on the new cable. The plug was also changed, its not slightly larger and flatter.

Oh, OK, thanks Raz.  That explains why I thought the build could be better.  A thicker (I'm assuming this is what you meant rather than thicket) cable is good for sure :)  Thanks for the information, it's very useful.  

Aug 3, 2012 at 3:19 AM Post #143 of 154
Quote:
The latest production version of the M4 have had their cables changed, on both models, they are a black cable and thicket than what it was used on both the models. The splitter was also changed, it is now larger with reliefs, making them a lot more durable. The internal composition of the cabling has always been the same for both the models and is the same on the new cable. The plug was also changed, its not slightly larger and flatter.

Yes, thanks for clearing that up. Great information. 

Aug 3, 2012 at 10:31 PM Post #144 of 154
Yes i meant thicker, the cable is about 2.5 times thicker than what was used on both the previous cables. I also meant to say the plug is bigger and flatter. Overall we think the changes are big upgrade to the cabling, in our own testing we found the new cables to be more durable. I can understand that people just see the new cable as being black and not standing out in its look, but if you take a closer look you will see its not just a standard cable.

Oct 1, 2012 at 2:27 PM Post #145 of 154
I got the microphone version today, paid $40 on mp4nation, honestly, I've had almost no experience with IEMs past crappy earbuds, and I might be spoilt by headphones by now, but the M4s didn't impress me at all, I'm burning them in now but so far I'm a little disappointed, seperation is very sub-par, bass is just too much for my ears, none of the tips really fit me ears well, the smallest ones that you get are alright though and I get a nice seal, I must have small inner-ears. The M4s also hiss quite a lot, none of my other headphones hiss on the FiiO E11 but the M4 delivers an annoying low hum at all times, not a big issue when listening to music but quite annoying for quiet classical or between songs, the isolation is not bad.

I've had no complaints on public transport so far and they do dampen the outside noise a bit but nothing to write home about.
For $40 they're 'ok', I'd be fairly annoyed if I paid the $70 asking however, and I'll probably upgrade to the B2s as soon as I get chance.

Oct 1, 2012 at 3:09 PM Post #146 of 154
I have been torn between the m2 and the m4. I listen to folk metal/viking metal to classical music/movie soundtracks. I know M4s are great for guitars and vocals but how well would these do for stuff like yo-yo ma's solo cello stuff? I would be using an android smartphone as the music source. I am currently using sony's mdr-zx100 so i am sure anything would be an upgrade from there. Thanks

Oct 1, 2012 at 5:27 PM Post #148 of 154
Quote:
M4s are great for vocals? I'd actually say the opposite, they're so U-shaped, can hardly hear vocals sometimes.

What do you suggest then, you can see from my post what I listen too. I really don't want to spend over $30 though. Both the m2 and the m4 are in my price range on amazon right now, and they look really durable. Just reading through the posts it seemed like the m4 would be the better choice. But if you have a suggestion i would be interesting in checking it out.

Oct 26, 2012 at 11:02 AM Post #150 of 154
Someone got a recommendation for an IEM similar to the M4 (recessed mids, clear highs but not too aggressive), but bass which is less boomy, but more clear and dry (e.g. Fischer Silver Bullets)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back