[Review] Brainwavz M4
Feb 3, 2012 at 4:44 AM Post #47 of 154
After reading this review I am really interested and considering an upgrade form my Klipsch s4's. Has anyone ever tried both of them? Is the difference between them significant? I don't know whether it is worth to upgrade....

Feb 7, 2012 at 7:01 PM Post #48 of 154
Just got mine today. Out of the box, M4 sounds a little more recessed/muffled than the klipsch S4's. I wouldn't call it an upgrade, maybe similar, but to my knowledge, klipsch is a little more expensive. M4 sounds better than Meelec M6, no doubt about that: better soundstage, tighter bass, reproduces highs/lows better. People were right about the semi-recessed mids, it's like there's a thin wall between my ears and IEMs. Anyone heard of the Thermaltake Isurus? It sounds kinda similar to them lol. Also reminds me of my panasonics.

Feb 7, 2012 at 7:35 PM Post #49 of 154

Quote:
Just got mine today. Out of the box, M4 sounds a little more recessed/muffled than the klipsch S4's. I wouldn't call it an upgrade, maybe similar, but to my knowledge, klipsch is a little more expensive. M4 sounds better than Meelec M6, no doubt about that: better soundstage, tighter bass, reproduces highs/lows better. People were right about the semi-recessed mids, it's like there's a thin wall between my ears and IEMs. Anyone heard of the Thermaltake Isurus? It sounds kinda similar to them lol. Also reminds me of my panasonics.

I don't remember how the M4s burned in with the mid-range, so I can't tell you if this will change.  I do remember the bass settling down.

Feb 9, 2012 at 10:59 AM Post #51 of 154

Quote:
Does anyone knows how the M4 compare to other IEMs in the same price range such as Eterna V1, RE-0, Xcited/Xcape IE?

They will sound nothing like the RE-0s.  They have a V-shape to them, along with much more bass and less midrange... 

Mar 28, 2012 at 5:42 PM Post #54 of 154
Just got my M4 today and testing it as I type this. First impressions: holy bass BATMAN! And I'm not yet sure if I mean that in a good way. There is a ton of bass quantity, but the quality is a bit questionable. The best word I can use to describe it is BOOMY. It doesn't have the fast decay and punchy impact of my GR07. On the bright side, there is no sibilance in the treble, but the treble also sounds a bit muddy and recessed. I only paid $28 for these so I can't really complain, but I was expecting a more balanced sound based on the reviews I've read. Or maybe I've just been spoiled by my GR07. Either way, I bought these mainly for use at the gym, so a studio monitor-like balanced SQ isn't crucial.

The included Comply tips are AWESOME, though.

Mar 28, 2012 at 5:44 PM Post #55 of 154

Quote:
Just got my M4 today and testing it as I type this. First impressions: holy bass BATMAN! And I'm not yet sure if I mean that in a good way. There is a ton of bass quantity, but the quality is a bit questionable. The best word I can use to describe it is BOOMY. It doesn't have the fast decay and punchy impact of my GR07. On the bright side, there is no sibilance in the treble, but the treble also sounds a bit muddy and recessed. I only paid $28 for these so I can't really complain, but I was expecting a more balanced sound based on the reviews I've read. Or maybe I've just been spoiled by my GR07. Either way, I bought these mainly for use at the gym, so a studio monitor-like balanced SQ isn't crucial.

Let them settle down for 30 - 50 hours that boom should subside somewhat hopefully. 

Mar 28, 2012 at 6:50 PM Post #56 of 154

Quote:
Let them settle down for 30 - 50 hours that boom should subside somewhat hopefully. 

Yeah, I'm burning them in right now with various genres of music. I've never noticed burn-in having a significant effect on any of my other IEMs/headphones, but we'll see.

Mar 28, 2012 at 10:18 PM Post #57 of 154

Quote:

IDK about everyone else, but in my review, I did mention the V shape it had.  Many said it was "well balanced" but I tried to argue that one out as it definitely had a V to my ears.  It will balance out better with time, but will still have a V to it.

Mar 28, 2012 at 10:28 PM Post #58 of 154
But I feel like it's more like a \__ shaped response. The treble seems recessed in comparison to the bass.

Mar 28, 2012 at 10:39 PM Post #59 of 154

Quote:
But I feel like it's more like a \__ shaped response. The treble seems recessed in comparison to the bass.

The treble is recessed in comparison to the bass, but the mids are recessed in comparison to the highs.  So my V would look something like this:

\
 \_/

Obviously it's not this deep, but just to illustrate my point.

Mar 29, 2012 at 12:10 AM Post #60 of 154

Quote:
The treble is recessed in comparison to the bass, but the mids are recessed in comparison to the highs.  So my V would look something like this:

\
 \_/

Obviously it's not this deep, but just to illustrate my point.

Yeah, I think that is pretty accurate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back