[Review] Brainwavz HM5, A New Neutral Champ
Apr 20, 2012 at 12:31 AM Post #1,082 of 1,750

Quote:
I have one question.
They sound really good, but I noticed that particularly in my left ear, it sounds like my ear is slightly clogged or something. I don't know if this is from the headphones, or if maybe my left ear isn't as good as my right?

Well wear them the other way around and see if the 'slightly clogged' sound remains or moves to the other side.  If so, something's not right.  If it stays with your left ear, perhaps a careful application of a "Q-tip" is required
smile_phones.gif

Apr 20, 2012 at 1:51 AM Post #1,083 of 1,750

Quote:
 If it stays with your left ear, perhaps a careful application of a "Q-tip" is required
smile_phones.gif

One has to be careful with that actually. Q-tips remove earwax that's on the outside of your ear, but often it actually pushes the deeper stuff further back and plugs up your ear canal even more. Same thing with earplugs and IEMs. 
frown.gif

Apr 20, 2012 at 3:01 AM Post #1,084 of 1,750

Quote:
how do these compare to the vsonic gr07?

does it have a stronger bass or the same, weaker?

and would buying these be worth it if i own the gr07 already?

i've heard it mentioned that the gr07 is closer to the denon d2ks. if that is true, then the bass on the hm5 is definitely without a doubt weaker.
i'm currently saving to own the gr07 as a more portable alternative to the d2k's i currently have. hopefully, what i heard is true.

if anyone who has owned the gr07, knows a headphone with an extremely similar sound signature, kindly help this man.

p.s. blu is my favorite rapper/hiphop artist

Apr 20, 2012 at 1:00 PM Post #1,085 of 1,750

Quote:

One has to be careful with that actually. Q-tips remove earwax that's on the outside of your ear, but often it actually pushes the deeper stuff further back and plugs up your ear canal even more. Same thing with earplugs and IEMs. 
frown.gif

I think this might be what happened actually :p. The day before I got these I was messing with Q-Tips before using my IEMs and I might have slightly clogged my left ear. But anyway, it's not as noticeable now.
One thing I like a lot about these headphones is how balanced the sound is. The bass sounds exactly like it should, there isn't too much or too little.
Another thing I should point out, and it's something that has been mentioned by a user in this thread previously, is that sometimes it's hard to pinpoint where the sounds are coming from. It's kind of a strange sensation.

Question: Does anyone know what port is best for plugging this into my computer? I have one in the back that my speakers are currently plugged into, as well as a headphone plug in the front. My speakers also have a little volume dial hub that has a headphone port on the front of it. This is the case btw: http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/product.php?product_id=2810

Apr 20, 2012 at 4:14 PM Post #1,086 of 1,750
Have you tried both to see which sounds better to you? 

After all, that's what really matters.
basshead.gif

Quote:

I think this might be what happened actually :p. The day before I got these I was messing with Q-Tips before using my IEMs and I might have slightly clogged my left ear. But anyway, it's not as noticeable now.
One thing I like a lot about these headphones is how balanced the sound is. The bass sounds exactly like it should, there isn't too much or too little.
Another thing I should point out, and it's something that has been mentioned by a user in this thread previously, is that sometimes it's hard to pinpoint where the sounds are coming from. It's kind of a strange sensation.

Question: Does anyone know what port is best for plugging this into my computer? I have one in the back that my speakers are currently plugged into, as well as a headphone plug in the front. My speakers also have a little volume dial hub that has a headphone port on the front of it. This is the case btw: http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/product.php?product_id=2810

Apr 20, 2012 at 4:43 PM Post #1,087 of 1,750

Quote:

i've heard it mentioned that the gr07 is closer to the denon d2ks. if that is true, then the bass on the hm5 is definitely without a doubt weaker.
i'm currently saving to own the gr07 as a more portable alternative to the d2k's i currently have. hopefully, what i heard is true.

if anyone who has owned the gr07, knows a headphone with an extremely similar sound signature, kindly help this man.

p.s. blu is my favorite rapper/hiphop artist

i been reading through the forum and i believe ill skip on these 

and yeah Blu is my boi Below the Heavens >>>
glad people know who he is and hoping he gets his **** together this year :)

Apr 20, 2012 at 5:00 PM Post #1,088 of 1,750
It doesn't matter much if both ports are connected your dedicated sound card. But I would use the one at the back for less potential noise and interference.

Apr 23, 2012 at 8:16 PM Post #1,090 of 1,750

Quote:
Did you notice a significant difference with and without the E10?  Is it worth the extra $$ to amp it?

I'm a newb, and I got to say that even my undistinguishing ears hear a difference and the E10 does make things sound better. But whether it's worth it or not, I agree with wilky61 and jeckyll, it really depends on you. I also agree with the comment that I still like the HM5 alone with my MBP.

I might be selling my E10 in fact, to change for an E17 so I can use with my iPod touch.

Quote:
Over that time, I have really grown fond of these cans.  My initial concerns about "loudness" in the midrange, which someone more accurately described as "congestion" have gone away.  I don't really notice it anymore.  The sound is not as spacious as the 650s, nor should it be.  But I think its got a great sound, with plenty of detail.  Don't really find the midrange to be recessed.  And vocals are excellent.

Without EQ, definitely a natural sounding bass that represents what is in the recording -- which, for rock, is generally lighter than most people realize. 

Clamping force, which was initially very tight, loosened up after a few days, and the cans just feel supremely comfortable on your head.  Although over time your ears can get warm.  Isolation is fine.  Listening on the NYC subway is a pleasure.

All in all, I am very pleased with these.  Give them a bit of time to break in if your initial impressions are mixed.

From my experience of lower-end headphones (Senn PX100, Denon AHD-1001, Soundmagic E30) , I think the separation is quite good for this headphone. Actually, the HM5 made me compare it to the open PX100s which I haven't listened to for a while, and I think I understand what the difference between 'open' and 'closed' sound is... (I might have picked up the "better, open" version of these HM5s if I didn't value isolation...) The thing I was looking for after my Denons broke was a less... 'powerful' treble? Sometimes it would just be too much. The HM5's are very comfortable to listen to (sound-wise).

I agree that the bass is pretty much perfect for me. It's not overbearing, but I definitely think it's enough. I was precisely looking more for this 'rumbly' bass you can feel rather than the 'boom' you can hear, which I find sometimes enveloping the entire sound of other headphones. Overall, I think I really like this sound signature, I just wished it was more comfortable.... I have had it for about a week or so, but the clamping force is still pretty uncomfortable for me, even though it lessened. Their isolation is pretty good though, it definitely helps keeps out the voice of my housemates.

Incidentally, the right band of my HM5's keeps on slipping down, it doesn't really bother me too much (because the clamp is so tight it just fits on my head? I don't really notice?), but I wonder if I should fix them? I bought them from MP4nation... anyone know if I could even do that (i.e. get them fixed)? Advice?

Apr 25, 2012 at 10:38 PM Post #1,091 of 1,750
you can try to open up a support ticket... but it does tend to do that but never too far (prolly because i change the cups with wood cups that's abit heavier).. however if yours like slipping up abit too far.. i think we can call that a defect, and I believe they will help you. question is.. are you willing to wait.. :D

Apr 26, 2012 at 2:17 PM Post #1,092 of 1,750
Does anyone else who has owned these headphones know how many hours of burn in are required for them to sound their best. And after sufficient burn in, what changes occurr in areas like bass, mids, highs, soundstage, instrument separation, and overall clarity?

Apr 27, 2012 at 1:15 PM Post #1,093 of 1,750
Quote:
you can try to open up a support ticket... but it does tend to do that but never too far (prolly because i change the cups with wood cups that's abit heavier).. however if yours like slipping up abit too far.. i think we can call that a defect, and I believe they will help you. question is.. are you willing to wait.. :D

Haha, well mine isn't slipping too far. And I really like them too much to part with them now! Their comfort level has increased since the last time I posted (although I still don't like to have them on for long periods) and I just really enjoy listening to them.

Apr 27, 2012 at 2:40 PM Post #1,094 of 1,750
I have a pair that has one side that slips down by itself (the notches in the metal don't prevent it from sliding).  The other side stays tight and only moves when you pull it.  The sliding side stays put when on my head though so I try not to let it bother me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back