[Review] Brainwavz HM5, A New Neutral Champ
Apr 18, 2012 at 5:02 AM Post #1,066 of 1,750

Quote:
Finally got mine.  Listened to them for a while without the Fiio E10, then with the E10.  Enjoying them a lot so far :)
Time to let them cycle overnight and listen more after they get 8 more hours on them...

Did you notice a significant difference with and without the E10?  Is it worth the extra $$ to amp it?

Apr 18, 2012 at 10:44 AM Post #1,068 of 1,750
So I've had the HM5s for about a month now.  I use them on my morning and evening commute every weekday, so about 1.5 hours a day -- with weekend use, call it roughly 8 hours a week.

Over that time, I have really grown fond of these cans.  My initial concerns about "loudness" in the midrange, which someone more accurately described as "congestion" have gone away.  I don't really notice it anymore.  The sound is not as spacious as the 650s, nor should it be.  But I think its got a great sound, with plenty of detail.  Don't really find the midrange to be recessed.  And vocals are excellent.

Without EQ, definitely a natural sounding bass that represents what is in the recording -- which, for rock, is generally lighter than most people realize. 

I run these through a CMOY and I use the bass boost, and I find the bass to be plentiful, but not overbearing.  Nice extension, and over time the bass has tightened up a bit.  These are not basshead cans, by any stretch, but that's never been what I was looking for.

Clamping force, which was initially very tight, loosened up after a few days, and the cans just feel supremely comfortable on your head.  Although over time your ears can get warm.  Isolation is fine.  Listening on the NYC subway is a pleasure.

All in all, I am very pleased with these.  Give them a bit of time to break in if your initial impressions are mixed.

One thing I am still experiencing is the slight hum when I plug into my Little Dot.  Can't figure that out. 

Apr 18, 2012 at 11:24 AM Post #1,069 of 1,750
It's well worth it to use a DAC, which is what the E10 is.  Though the E10 has plenty of power.

As for amping, I haven't spend any significant time running them amped / unamped off a portable player. 

Quote:
Did you notice a significant difference with and without the E10?  Is it worth the extra $$ to amp it?

Apr 18, 2012 at 11:32 AM Post #1,070 of 1,750
I think the use of a DAC (e.g., E10 or E17 are pretty inexpensive options) helps to clean up the music some, it helps to define the instruments and the separation between them more clearly. Depending on the type of music to which you listen, this can make a decently large difference (e.g., jazz). For example, tenor saxophones definitely sound clearer and sharper to my ears; they impact me on an emotional level more. This is true of a lot of guitar solos as well (e.g., some Zappa or some Steely Dan or some David Gilmour with that crystal clear tone).

But I have to say that if I had never purchased the DAC, I expect I would've been perfectly happy with the sound I was experiencing. But if you decide to buy the DAC and do some A/B testing, then you'll likely expose yourself to the differences and then you probably won't be able to go back to the way you were listening before. :)

And btw, you can always purchase an E10 from Amazon ($75), try it out, and return it if you don't think it was worth the money you spent (you'll only pay a couple bucks for return shipping).

Quote:

Apr 18, 2012 at 12:26 PM Post #1,071 of 1,750
That is so true for much of this hobby, isn't it?  :)

Once you find out how much better it can be, you don't want to go back!

Quote:
I think the use of a DAC ... <snip>

But I have to say that if I had never purchased the DAC, I expect I would've been perfectly happy with the sound I was experiencing. But if you decide to buy the DAC and do some A/B testing, then you'll likely expose yourself to the differences and then you probably won't be able to go back to the way you were listening before. :)

<snip>

Apr 19, 2012 at 6:42 AM Post #1,072 of 1,750

Quote:
Once you find out how much better it can be, you don't want to go back!

That's the same way with every step you make upgrading audio! :p
I listened to ibud earphones a couple weeks ago after listening to my HM5s for a while. They were horrible. I've never heard anything worse. Bass was so muddy, because it was a dubstep song...and it was terrible. I'll never go back

Apr 19, 2012 at 7:22 AM Post #1,073 of 1,750

Quote:
It's well worth it to use a DAC, which is what the E10 is.  Though the E10 has plenty of power.

As for amping, I haven't spend any significant time running them amped / unamped off a portable player. 

I am under the impression that the Fiio E10 is a DAC + amp.  If I'm wrong, please clear that up for me.

Cheers for the responses guys, I'll look into it a little more as it does not appear to be a night/day difference, so I will need to think a little as to whether it is worth the $$.  I listen to a variety of music (rock, metal, classical, dance/punk (like The Prodigy), or whatever genre it is), but usually nothing too bass intensive.

Apr 19, 2012 at 10:31 AM Post #1,074 of 1,750
You are correct; the E10 is a combination DAC/amp. According to its specs, the E10's amp provides 200 mW of power at 16 ohms, 150 mW of power at 32 ohms, and 28 mW at 300 ohms.

The Brainwavz HM5 have a pretty middle-of-the-road impedance (64 ohms) and a moderately high sensitivity (105 dB at 1 mW).

I think this means that the HM5 should be capable of producing 108 dB at 2 mW, 111 dB at 4 mW, 114 dB at 8 mW, 117 dB at 16 mW, 120 dB at 32 mW, 123 dB at 64 mW, 126 dB at 128 mW (gonna stop here because the E10 ought to provide approximately 128 mW of power to the HM5). Also, keep in mind that dB represent a logarithmic scale.

Quote:

I am under the impression that the Fiio E10 is a DAC + amp.  If I'm wrong, please clear that up for me.

Cheers for the responses guys, I'll look into it a little more as it does not appear to be a night/day difference, so I will need to think a little as to whether it is worth the $$.  I listen to a variety of music (rock, metal, classical, dance/punk (like The Prodigy), or whatever genre it is), but usually nothing too bass intensive.

Apr 19, 2012 at 1:16 PM Post #1,075 of 1,750
Mine just came in today :)
Right off the bat: nice carrying case, two cable options is awesome, extra pads are awesome too.
The pads are really soft and comfortable, which is important because...
holy **** you guys didn't lie, these things clamp! Which isn't necessarily a bad thing. They're still comfortable because of the pads, and they cancel out a ton of noise.
Sound wise I've only heard two songs, and they both sounded pretty great. I'm not an audiophile, this is my first "real" pair of headphones, but they're definitely the best headphones I've heard so far. I didn't hear any "hallway" or "echoing" sound, probably because my ear isn't as finely tuned as some of yours are :p

Apr 19, 2012 at 3:17 PM Post #1,076 of 1,750
I have one question.
They sound really good, but I noticed that particularly in my left ear, it sounds like my ear is slightly clogged or something. I don't know if this is from the headphones, or if maybe my left ear isn't as good as my right?

Apr 19, 2012 at 6:33 PM Post #1,077 of 1,750
Finally got the L3 Cable and OMG they improved the sound so much more. Instrument separation sounded a lot clearer and more details were picked up.  My only problem is that i can't find a solid position to put my iPod, E6, and this LOD cable together in a way that wouldn't put a lot of force on the LOD cable. It feels sturdy enough but the part where the cable attaches the dock connector of the L3 is VERY SLIGHTLY off. Again this didn't detriment sound at all, but I don't know how long these will last. Only time will tell. So far though they make the HM5s sound a fair amount better. Louder too. 

Apr 19, 2012 at 7:10 PM Post #1,078 of 1,750

Quote:
I have one question.
They sound really good, but I noticed that particularly in my left ear, it sounds like my ear is slightly clogged or something. I don't know if this is from the headphones, or if maybe my left ear isn't as good as my right?

Did you try flipping the headphones around and seeing if the "clogged" sound switches sides? Then it's the headphones. If not, there may be something wrong with your ear. Earwax?

Apr 19, 2012 at 9:59 PM Post #1,079 of 1,750
Can one buy the HM5 somewhere in North America? Maybe somewhere in-store? I'm kind of queasy about ordering something that big from Hong Kong. I also don't want to give my credit card to a center so far away.

Apr 19, 2012 at 10:39 PM Post #1,080 of 1,750
How about on Amazon.com?

http://www.amazon.com/BRAINWAVZ-HM5-Studio-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B006MA9XXM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334889499&sr=8-1

Quote:
Can one buy the HM5 somewhere in North America? Maybe somewhere in-store? I'm kind of queasy about ordering something that big from Hong Kong. I also don't want to give my credit card to a center so far away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back