[Review] Brainwavz HM5, A New Neutral Champ
Feb 3, 2012 at 2:46 PM Post #676 of 1,750

Is that the best soloution?  Run a male/female 3.5mm cord from my source, to that adaptor, then run two single male/male 3.5mm cords from the adaptor to each side of the HM5?  Seems like someone would make a male to dual male 3.5mm cord.  Or am I wrong and the HM5 inputs are actually RCA sized?  I see 3.5mm male to dual male RCA cords are easy to find.

Quote:

Feb 3, 2012 at 3:14 PM Post #677 of 1,750

Quote:
Is that the best soloution?  Run a male/female 3.5mm cord from my source, to that adaptor, then run two single male/male 3.5mm cords from the adaptor to each side of the HM5?  Seems like someone would make a male to dual male 3.5mm cord.  Or am I wrong and the HM5 inputs are actually RCA sized?  I see 3.5mm male to dual male RCA cords are easy to find.

Not RCA, just 3.5 - 3.5.
http://cdn.head-fi.org/5/56/567b697b_FA-003-TSconnectoroncable.png

Feb 3, 2012 at 3:24 PM Post #678 of 1,750
Wouldn't make a difference anyway - a 3.5mm plug won't fit properly.  The plugs used on the HM5 have a molding at the end that you'd need to clone in order for them to fit snugly (without falling out).

Feb 3, 2012 at 7:43 PM Post #679 of 1,750
That's not good news : (  Why wouldn't they go with a cable that's easily replaceable and available everywhere?  Does anyone know if getting such cables from MP4Nation is easy or affordable?  Cables do go bad/get messed up over time.

Quote:
Wouldn't make a difference anyway - a 3.5mm plug won't fit properly.  The plugs used on the HM5 have a molding at the end that you'd need to clone in order for them to fit snugly (without falling out).

Feb 3, 2012 at 7:48 PM Post #680 of 1,750

That because cables will easy fell out if there is some way to lock them in place. You will find the same issue on some Sennheiser ,Shure Headphones as an example.

Quote:
That's not good news : (  Why wouldn't they go with a cable that's easily replaceable and available everywhere?  Does anyone know if getting such cables from MP4Nation is easy or affordable?  Cables do go bad/get messed up over time.

Feb 3, 2012 at 8:54 PM Post #681 of 1,750

Quote:

Well you get two with the HM5 for a start anyway 
wink.gif

Why don't you just send mp4nation an email and find out?

Feb 6, 2012 at 1:25 AM Post #682 of 1,750
I've had my Brainwavz for over three weeks now. I'm not to sure how long i've burned them in but its been well over 100 hours. I am new to this whole audiophile thing but I'm defiantly hooked.

My current setup is Brainwavz HM5 with the Fiio E10 amp. I can say I enjoy the Brainwavz more amped than un amped. I find the bit of extra power helps with bass and clarity (amp set to bass on and high gain). The Hm5's are very comfy and I don't find my ears get to hot or sweaty. The build quality is good but the cups seem to have a slight wiggle where the metal band goes into the plastic.

These headphones do sound great, but I have nothing really to compare them to so I won't go in detail and make things up, lol

I really enjoy these headphones but I desire more!

(big step)

My next purchases are: Schiit Valhalla/230V, Beyerdynamics DT990/600 and Fiio D3 (intill I have more funds to get the Bifrost). I like to listen to rock, jazz, classical, electronica, bit of dub step, and hip-hop. I've heard good and bad things about the DT990 but great things about the 990 with the Valhalla. I listen to all my music on my PC/MAC and i've been trying to get more and more of my music in FLAC files.

*Back to HM5

Here are a couple photos I took with my iPhone of the HM5's.

Cheers!

Feb 6, 2012 at 2:00 AM Post #684 of 1,750
My DT880 Pro should be here soon. From What I've read the DT880 and DT990 are about the same with just more damping on the DT880 for more linear response where it's removed in the DT990 for more open sound and a bump in the bass and treble. Though I only have Grado SR80i to compare to.

Feb 6, 2012 at 3:29 AM Post #686 of 1,750
Seriously. The only logical reason is that he might be using other sources that have SPDIF outs, not USB.

Feb 6, 2012 at 4:03 AM Post #687 of 1,750

Quote:
RipR0arin, why would you buy the D3 DAC when you already have the E10, which should be better? 

I thought i'd need it for the Valhalla since it has coaxial in RCA R/L out and the E10 only has coaxial out?

Quote:
My advice is to just enjoy the music from the HM5, don't worry about upgrading right away.

I'm in no rush. Up grading will happen in a month or so after I learn more. :)

Feb 6, 2012 at 3:38 PM Post #690 of 1,750

Quote:
My advice is to just enjoy the music from the HM5, don't worry about upgrading right away.

+1

Easy to get carried from one upgrade to the next (especially spending time around here) without allowing time to 'stop and smell the roses'. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back