[Review] Brainwavz HM5, A New Neutral Champ
Jan 30, 2012 at 10:47 PM Post #631 of 1,750
Hi all. Havent been here in a bit 
wink_face.gif
  As to the HM5/HD600 comparison, let me add that I dont think they sound similar, just that for their intended purposes they fill the same roll. The HD600 has a singular advantage, its ability to be almost entirely rebuilt, a strong point in a busy studio. Otherwise, I find the HM5's to be just as capable across the board. Save some cash and go for the HM5's 
o2smile.gif

Jan 31, 2012 at 1:40 AM Post #632 of 1,750
Jan 31, 2012 at 3:44 PM Post #637 of 1,750
Try this mod !
First mod I did was, following Hans sugestions,  half covering the vents getting a better bass but not eliminating the bloating bass totally.
Second, I left vents open but included  a cotton ball inside each cup, as Hans said, there is less bass but better control/tightness, some more present mids and treble.

This is how I like them better:

Cut two "vulcano" pieces of carboard out of an egg container, align the hole with the centre of the driver, let the "flower" shaped carboard spring up a bit upwards pushed  by its own  nature and that´s it. Expensive ...  mmm it´s not.
I also added some bluetack in the top perimeter of the driver, though I give more credit for the improvement to the carboard rather than to the blue thing as I already had that with the cotton in place.

Bass is now as I like, full,  deep and tight,  and IMO better than with the cotton supplement. Might seem crazy but works for me. 

Jan 31, 2012 at 4:25 PM Post #639 of 1,750

Quote:
What is the theory behind above mod? This is interesting, and I see the re-direction of flow. However, I am boggled as to what you were trying to accomplished here.... 

I was trying to get the original deep bass but tighter, with the cotton it was reduced. I remembered an old cinema club where they had egg carboards covering the walls and the accoustics there were fantastic. That´s I how figured it out (while I was unpacking the supermarket buy this evening. I guess it´s got something to do with the flow and I also avoid using volume filling stuff that might partly "eat" the bass.

Jan 31, 2012 at 4:50 PM Post #640 of 1,750
Pls excuse my English, obviously I should have written (several times) "cardboard" instead.

Quote:

I was trying to get the original deep bass but tighter, with the cotton it was reduced. I remembered an old cinema club where they had egg carboards covering the walls and the accoustics there were fantastic. That´s I how figured it out (while I was unpacking the supermarket buy this evening. I guess it´s got something to do with the flow and I also avoid using volume filling stuff that might partly "eat" the bass.

Jan 31, 2012 at 8:39 PM Post #643 of 1,750
You know what sucks? I love audio, headphones, and music in general. I got beats for holiday gift and refunded them for $200(Relatives who got the beats were alright with this b/c i told them about the HM5 and they wanted me to have what i thought was better value). After learning about the HM5s, I really want them along with the E6 amp and L9 LOD. Even after all of these items i STILL save money. Unfortunately, my mom thinks headphones are the biggest waste of money(keep in mind it is MY holiday money)and won't allow me to preorder them. What should I do?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back