[Review] Brainwavz HM5, A New Neutral Champ
Jan 12, 2012 at 1:33 AM Post #526 of 1,750

Quote:
80 or less. Spent as if it was your money :D My source is an ipod, btw.

I went with the E6 that's $24 bucks and it does make a big difference--depending on your music tastes. For me, it really livens up rap, pop, alternative, etc. They sound amazing with this little amp. It's wonderful.. It's cheap and small.. I would recommend those.

Jan 12, 2012 at 2:02 AM Post #527 of 1,750

Quote:
I went with the E6 that's $24 bucks and it does make a big difference--depending on your music tastes. For me, it really livens up rap, pop, alternative, etc. They sound amazing with this little amp. It's wonderful.. It's cheap and small.. I would recommend those.

I get the feeling that such improvements come from colorations of whatever amp is being used, rather than the fact of being amped itself. What I mean is, I don't think the HM5 benefit very much from the mere power of an amp alone. I've spent time A/B-ing the headphone out on my portable player, and then plugging it into the analog in of my Cube. Maybe a little more weight to the bass and slightly more energetic highs, but the differences, if any, were extremely slight. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to preach that people shouldn't amp them, just clarifying my thought that the amplification itself doesn't really make a significant difference. I could be wrong. Maybe the amp in the cube isn't very good. Or maybe the difference is bigger coming from an iPod, because those sound like poop. 
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 12, 2012 at 2:49 AM Post #528 of 1,750
New member here! (been lurking for a while) Thanks for the detailed review and intelligent discussion!

Finally at a point where my under-$20 MEElectronics IEMs aren't cutting it anymore (durable little things, though) and I wanted something for dedicated home listening anyway. After waffling between these and the Audio Technica M50s for the past week, I caved and got the HM5 off MP4Nation's shop on Amazon (I have Prime). Figure I'll forgo the slight discount for more reliable shipping.

I'm not much of a basshead and from what I've read the M50s are bass-heavy. These are going to be multi-purpose, movies, games, and many genres of music. Grabbed the FiiO E17 off MP4Nation too, though I don't know how much the HM5 will benefit. Laptop integrated sound is really crappy - I first noticed this when I plugged in a cheap USB headset and they sounded 10x better than more expensive headphones in the 3.5mm jack.

Jan 12, 2012 at 7:11 AM Post #529 of 1,750

Quote:
New member here! (been lurking for a while) Thanks for the detailed review and intelligent discussion!

Finally at a point where my under-$20 MEElectronics IEMs aren't cutting it anymore (durable little things, though) and I wanted something for dedicated home listening anyway. After waffling between these and the Audio Technica M50s for the past week, I caved and got the HM5 off MP4Nation's shop on Amazon (I have Prime). Figure I'll forgo the slight discount for more reliable shipping.

I'm not much of a basshead and from what I've read the M50s are bass-heavy. These are going to be multi-purpose, movies, games, and many genres of music. Grabbed the FiiO E17 off MP4Nation too, though I don't know how much the HM5 will benefit. Laptop integrated sound is really crappy - I first noticed this when I plugged in a cheap USB headset and they sounded 10x better than more expensive headphones in the 3.5mm jack.

Perhaps you should get a combo of DAC/Amp instead when you're using a laptop to get that laptop integrated sound replaced. FiiO E10 does the job well

Jan 12, 2012 at 7:42 AM Post #530 of 1,750

Quote:

I get the feeling that such improvements come from colorations of whatever amp is being used, rather than the fact of being amped itself. What I mean is, I don't think the HM5 benefit very much from the mere power of an amp alone. I've spent time A/B-ing the headphone out on my portable player, and then plugging it into the analog in of my Cube. Maybe a little more weight to the bass and slightly more energetic highs, but the differences, if any, were extremely slight. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to preach that people shouldn't amp them, just clarifying my thought that the amplification itself doesn't really make a significant difference. I could be wrong. Maybe the amp in the cube isn't very good. Or maybe the difference is bigger coming from an iPod, because those sound like poop. 
evil_smiley.gif

I really have to get my hands on a player that is inarguably far superior to an Ipod/Iphone to see what differences there is on a song-to-song level. I think music sounds just fine from my phone. I couldn't tell a difference between using a LOD and the E7 and a LOD and the E11 aside from when I used the base boost setting on the E11. I would agree though that all these amps seem to be doing is lending weight to the bass, which IMO makes it sound better, but isn't really providing a better version of the headphones actual sound itself.

Jan 12, 2012 at 8:35 AM Post #531 of 1,750
Part of my post, copy/paste'd from my thread over at Mp4nation.net

Today I received my Fiio E10 and Brainwavz HM5. Ordered on the 28th of November for $155 shipped on the 15th of december. I had to pay $40 extra to customs for tax and extra charges. All in all it took the package about a month to arrive and the total cost was slightly under $200

The whole was decently packed, but the Fiio E10 didn't have it's own box. The tin can could move freely around inside the parcel. Since the HM5 isn't shipped inside a box but in a large paper package I'm surprised it didn't dent during transport. Wouldn't hurt to put the tin can inside a bubble envelop or something for extra protection. 

Brainwavz HM5:
The carrying case for the HM5 is great. I wish more manufacturers would include a large zipper case like that. Makes shipping a whole lot easier too since the valuables are well protected. 
color]
 Is this case included as a Brainwavz accessory or is it part of the CD-880 OEM package from Yoga? If Brainwavz only: very nice addition to an already great headphone. Thanks for including! Very happy with it. 
The HM5 looks beautiful and is VERY light. Much lighter than I expected. Build quality looks great on first impression and I'm looking forward to reviewing it properly. 

Jan 12, 2012 at 12:08 PM Post #532 of 1,750

Quote:

evil_smiley.gif

i used with an e5. sure it made it louder, but it didn't change the sound. it might have made the bass a tad bit bit tighter or looser tho.
with bass boos there was coloration out the *ass-tronaut* that i didn't like.
after that initial use. i've never touched the amp. if i need it louder, i use the pre-gain on my sansa player.

EDIT. what i meant was that it didn't change the sound signature. but amping makes it shine since sound is not distorted before reaching a listenable level (unlike pre-gain). but an amp is only necessary if what you are listening from cannot completely drive the headphones.
and yes. i chain two fiio e5's together. hehe.

Jan 14, 2012 at 10:24 PM Post #536 of 1,750

Quote:
any more impressions/minireviews/complaints????

I think some of us are trying to simply get more time with these - so that any impressions given are not clouded by the OMG I JUST GOT THESE syndrome.  Not a good idea to post a review until you really get to know their nuances.

I've almost had mine two weeks, and will probably start serious comparison with my HD600 and give a review sometime in the next 10-14 days.

Jan 14, 2012 at 11:43 PM Post #538 of 1,750
If only the pads don't look that ugly when squeezed..they look great when not worn.

Jan 15, 2012 at 1:49 AM Post #539 of 1,750
Quote:
Hehe, well, the pads are so nice that I put the replacements on my T50s :wink:

To be honest, I was planning on using my HM5s as my portables and as I've been home mostly, I've been using my T50s.

How are you finding they compare to your T50RPs? I feel like my T50RPs have spoiled me, because there is something about the HM5s that just sound weird to my ears in (a potentially unfair) comparison. :/

Jan 15, 2012 at 4:52 AM Post #540 of 1,750

Quote:

I think some of us are trying to simply get more time with these - so that any impressions given are not clouded by the OMG I JUST GOT THESE syndrome.  Not a good idea to post a review until you really get to know their nuances.

Exactely! I posted my first impression on the headphone itself a few posts back, and am now getting familiar with it's sound quality. I will post a review as soon as I feel I have made an opinion about them. :) I can already say that these offer a great value here in headphone-land and should be on every budget-audiophile's short list. I also have some niggles which I'll talk about in the review as well. Patience! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back