[Review] Brainwavz HM5, A New Neutral Champ
Jan 9, 2012 at 12:25 AM Post #481 of 1,750

Quote:

uuuumm.
sooo.

this may sound strange but how can i increase the clamp force? the placement of my ears requires my right earcups in ANY headphone/earphone that i use to be just a tad tiny teensy bit closer.

i was fine before but 6 nights of sleeping with them on has squished the cushion enough to not clamp as tight on the side that i sleep on (right).
that extra teensy bit of clamp that i need to push the cups closer.
any help?

Easy. Just stop sleeping on them 
wink.gif

Actually all you need to do is switch the cushion for one of the new ones,that should fix it right up.

Jan 9, 2012 at 7:04 AM Post #482 of 1,750
My HM5 came but E10 wasn't there. I knew something like this would happen. I added the E10 after the preorder, but Raz said it was included in the package. I don't know what to think now...

First impression of HM5s: Oh man... this is everything I look for in a pair of headphones.

Solid build, nice deep earpads, really deep! I love it when they don't touch my ears. The isolation is fabulous, coming from CAL, so is the soundstage. Out of the box, I listened to Hotel California (one of my favourites); I don't think I'd heard the song that good before. Deeper bass than CAL, close to some nice sub-woofer sort of bass. I just got a pair of cheap bookshelf (see signiture); while they are decent speakers, I was so much more impressed with the HM5s. I didn't find anything particularly wrong with the HM5s. One word: smooth. Of course, I need more than one song to judge HM5s' SQ, and some burn-in too. I think I will skip my usual burn-in procedure; yes, they are THAT good.

I can see how they compete well with headphones twice or three times the price. I was so worry that I wouldn't be as impressed with these as with the CAL!, however, that can't be further from the truth. If anything, I am more impressed with these than CAL! initially. I got my CAL! for $90, with a gift card I had these were only a few dollars more. I'll stop writing now before I regret it.

Before someone (anyone) says I'm hyping these 'phones. Maybe I am, maybe not. Take my opinion with a grain of salt if you like. Hopefully they won't burn in a bad way...(you know how sometimes that can happen)

How can anybody be this impressed and yet this disappointed at the same time? I wish my E10 was here, I bet it's ashamed to even show up...

Jan 9, 2012 at 9:29 AM Post #484 of 1,750
You can't. E10 is not portable and is not a standalone amp. People should stop calling it an amp and stop having threads about them in the portable amp sub-forum. It belongs in the dedicated source sub-forum.

Jan 9, 2012 at 9:37 AM Post #485 of 1,750
The E10 is surprisingly good considering the price and size. It's not a giant killer or even a mid fi killer but there really isn't much to complain about.

Nice first impressions of the HM5 :) It's always nice when you make a purchase and you end up liking it immediately.

Jan 9, 2012 at 9:46 AM Post #486 of 1,750

Quote:
You can't. E10 is not portable and is not a standalone amp. People should stop calling it an amp and stop having threads about them in the portable amp sub-forum. It belongs in the dedicated source sub-forum.

Hm, so apparently the nuForce can't either be connected, since it doesn't look to have any other in-ports than USB.

Jan 9, 2012 at 10:20 AM Post #488 of 1,750
I've been giving my HM5s some more time, and I'm beginning to warm up to them (like I originally said I probably would). I gave myself a break from my modded T50RPs before listening. I was a bit confused, because I found myself actually liking the HM5s. I wasn't very aware of my previous complaints against them during this listening session. 

Once I did some direct A/B comparisons, my previous complaints became more apparent. While the HM5s sound spacious for being closed, they still have a distinctly closed-sounding signature compared to my T50RPs. The T50RPs sound much airier and cohesive in this regard. I did not take much time to compare which had a more "3D" sound, better imaging, or anything like that. 

I also found the HM5s to be very slightly bloated in comparison to the T50RPs. My T50RPs have no problems digging down to 30Hz and slightly below. You might be able to argue it both ways. From the viewpoint of the HM5, the T50RP is ever so slightly anemic in the bass. The HM5s seems ever so slightly bloated from the T50RPs perspective. Of course, I do find the same 300Hz dip measured in the FA-003 with my HM5s, and this coupled with the small hump around 100-200Hz produces a distinct sound. My T50RPs do have more bass than my HD598s did, but they have less than my D2000s (or HM5s, as I've stated). In my opinion, it's nice and balanced.

The HM5s also don't replicate treble as well as the T50RPs. The HM5's treble sounds almost artificial at times compared to the T50RP. The T50RP can pick up microdetails that the HM5s cannot while still sounding smoother and more natural in the top end. 

Overall, the T50RPs simply sound more natural. Everything sounds like it is there next to you with little coloration added to the sound (according to my imperfect ears). The HM5s simply don't sound as natural, even though they sound more similar than different in the end.

That's not to say the HM5s are bad by any means. The modded T50RPs are well known for being (potentially) fantastic. I still think the HM5s are competitive in their price range, but I don't think they are worth 2-3x their price. I say this because of headphones like the HD598, which are quite wonderful sounding. I don't find the HM5s to be any better or worse overall than the HD598s, so it's hard for me to say that they're worth much more than they cost. The HM5s are probably some of the best in the price range based on what I've heard before.

Jan 9, 2012 at 10:43 AM Post #489 of 1,750

Quote:
My HM5 came but E10 wasn't there. I knew something like this would happen. I added the E10 after the preorder, but Raz said it was included in the package. I don't know what to think now...

First impression of HM5s: Oh man... this is everything I look for in a pair of headphones.

Solid build, nice deep earpads, really deep! I love it when they don't touch my ears. The isolation is fabulous, coming from CAL, so is the soundstage. Out of the box, I listened to Hotel California (one of my favourites); I don't think I'd heard the song that good before. Deeper bass than CAL, close to some nice sub-woofer sort of bass. I just got a pair of cheap bookshelf (see signiture); while they are decent speakers, I was so much more impressed with the HM5s. I didn't find anything particularly wrong with the HM5s. One word: smooth. Of course, I need more than one song to judge HM5s' SQ, and some burn-in too. I think I will skip my usual burn-in procedure; yes, they are THAT good.

I can see how they compete well with headphones twice or three times the price. I was so worry that I wouldn't be as impressed with these as with the CAL!, however, that can't be further from the truth. If anything, I am more impressed with these than CAL! initially. I got my CAL! for $90, with a gift card I had these were only a few dollars more. I'll stop writing now before I regret it.

Before someone (anyone) says I'm hyping these 'phones. Maybe I am, maybe not. Take my opinion with a grain of salt if you like. Hopefully they won't burn in a bad way...(you know how sometimes that can happen)

How can anybody be this impressed and yet this disappointed at the same time? I wish my E10 was here, I bet it's ashamed to even show up...

Nice comments,kingpage,glad you finally got your HM5's 
atsmile.gif
 As for the E10,open a ticket ovver on mp4nations site and they will clear that up for you.According to Razzer,it was a very busy holiday season,.so some mistakes are bound to happen.They are great at fixing things up,though,so have no reservations about that 
L3000.gif

Jan 9, 2012 at 10:56 AM Post #490 of 1,750

Quote:
Nice comments,kingpage,glad you finally got your HM5's 
atsmile.gif
 As for the E10,open a ticket ovver on mp4nations site and they will clear that up for you.According to Razzer,it was a very busy holiday season,.so some mistakes are bound to happen.They are great at fixing things up,though,so have no reservations about that 
L3000.gif

agreed

P.S.
there was a time when i used to analyze my albums with mp3gain and it would show clipping with a lot of the newer hip hop albums. back then i said "waaaah? clipping? no waaaay? i NEVER hear any clipping."

listening to those same albums with the HM5s and now i go "woah. it was right."

Jan 9, 2012 at 3:55 PM Post #493 of 1,750
Just bought mine on the new pre order... Now, the expectations... :D

Jan 9, 2012 at 4:20 PM Post #494 of 1,750
I agree with issues, like the treble, cymbals sometimes seem distorted. But on some song the midrange comes to life, and it's starting to scare me, got to get used to the feeling of a gutiar right behind me, and yes I do feel they are getting a little bloated, very little, practically unnoticeable, my ears are really starting to pick up these small problem. :xf_eek:

Jan 9, 2012 at 4:49 PM Post #495 of 1,750
Pre-ordered (on the new pre-) along with the E10.

I already have the PA2v2, so we'll see how those play together :)

Now the waiting ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back