[Review] Brainwavz HM5, A New Neutral Champ
Jan 3, 2012 at 7:28 AM Post #331 of 1,750

Quote:
6dB doubles the SPL, 10dB doubles the perceived loudness. Matching the equal loudness curve? That's madness, I'd like to see how ear bleeding it would be for you if you did the same to high frequencies. Let's see how the FR looks after your bass boost.

(FA-003's FR graph from innerfidelity, which may or may not be indicative of HM5's FR, just for illustration)

Since I don't know how much 20Hz is boosted, I have made the assumption that frequencies at and below 60Hz are increased by the same amount. This would underestimate the sub-bass region if you gradually increased everything below 60Hz beyond the reference point. The added pink curve is a 6dB increase whereas the green curve is a 9dB increase, both at 60Hz. They were drawn by hand.
Have you tried lowering all the other frequencies by 1 dB except 40Hz and below? I think if the gain is adjusted for the boost there shouldn't be any distortion. But it seems like you know what you're doing.

aahh. so the 9db increase wasn't that bad then? but i'll stick to 6. works for all music i listen to.
and for illustrative purposes, the 6 db low shelf at 60 hz and 1.8 bandwidth looks more like only about 40 hz and below reach the 6 db increase. 40 hz to 100 hz gradually and equally reduce in db increase from 6 to 0. here. a picture is worth a thousand words, they say.

and yes. i did adjust for the boost. (-5.5) 
and no. i wouldn't try it for higher frequencies.

HOPE  YOU GUYS GET YOURS SOON.

Jan 3, 2012 at 5:27 PM Post #334 of 1,750

Hello,

I just made an account on headfi today and i'm extremely excited to be apart of this awesome community! 

I am currently using Astro A40's paired with the Astro mixamp for gaming and music on my PC. This week, I felt like upgrading. I started creeping the head fi forums for a pair of closed headphones under 200 that would be the best bang for my buck. I narrowed my search down to the Brainwavz HM5 and the Ficher Audio FA-003. Seeing as the Brainwavz are slightly cheaper and perhaps maybe even the same headphone just rebranded, I decided to go with them (plus dragon2knights youtube video review got me pretty excited :D ). I also ordered the FiiO E10 to add a bit more power and bass to the headphones. Now, I play the waiting game.

My question (even tho ill be able to answer this myself in a couple days): Do you guys think I will notice a difference in sound quality from the astro set up to my new set up? Astros are definitely overpriced for what they. I was never fully satisfied with the headphones and the mixamp was decent but felt cheap.

cheers!

Jan 3, 2012 at 10:18 PM Post #335 of 1,750
Welcome to Head fi, yes the hm5 will not disappoint, before burn in they may seem boring, but give it some time and every time you put them on you will love them more. Very fun to listen, I guess will suit your gaming needs.

Jan 3, 2012 at 11:09 PM Post #336 of 1,750
i guessing from reading so many threads this and fa00 are very much alike more like 95% alike.???
What is a good explanation for someone to like me to get the HM5 instead of the FA003

Jan 3, 2012 at 11:22 PM Post #337 of 1,750

Quote:
i guessing from reading so many threads this and fa00 are very much alike more like 95% alike.???
What is a good explanation for someone to like me to get the HM5 instead of the FA003

They are cheaper and more readily available from a more reliable seller. In fact, if I'm not mistaken the FA-003 aren't available anywhere now. GD-Audiobase is down and Frogbeats is out of stock. If not identical, the HM5 should be extremely similar to the FA-003. I think there was only one guy who has heard them both and he said they sounded exactly the same.

I was originally interested in getting the FA-003 when these came out. Went with the HM5s for the reasons listed above. Obviously I can't attest to what the FA-003s sound like, but I don't regret my decision at all. Happily listening to Spock's Beard on my HM5 right now :)

Jan 3, 2012 at 11:36 PM Post #338 of 1,750
Also, to anyone interested, I emailed Frogbeats about the possibility of getting a set of the velour pads from the FA-003. They wrote back to me earlier today and said they are waiting on Fischer to manufacture new stock, and offered to notify me as soon as they're available. I'll post an update if/when that happens.

Jan 3, 2012 at 11:59 PM Post #339 of 1,750
I ordered my Brainwavz HM5 this evening from MP4 Nation and selected FedEx (2-7 days).

Nowhere throughout the ordering process was I showed the item was in stock, or out-of-stock.

Has anyone ordered from MP4 Nation assuming the item was in stock, then told you would have to wait for more?

(They have already taken my money.)

Jan 4, 2012 at 1:25 AM Post #340 of 1,750
It's most likely in stock. If it isn't it's typical for them to send out an email to subscribers about expected dates for in-stock, and possible pre-order discounts.

Generally when there's a discrepancy they handle it really well, I wouldn't sweat it.

On another note, I always go for the free shipping option, which arrived before expected within a week or 2 for every one of my orders from them.

Jan 4, 2012 at 1:40 AM Post #341 of 1,750
Does anyone have both the Audio Technica ATH-M50 and Brainwavz HM5?

Is the HM5 immensely better sounding then the M50, only somewhat improved, or is the difference only noticeable when doing very critical listening?

I have heard that soundstage is larger on the HM5 as well as them being more neutral, but I am stuck on whether the HM5, HD598, or a Beyerdynamic DTxx0 would have the greatest difference in sound quality from the M50's. 

I also have no DAC or amp which is really making the decision tough while I try to stay under a $200 budget.

Part of me wants the HM5, but it also feels like this headphone and the FA-003 are being overhyped and I will buy it but not notice a difference from my M50.

Jan 4, 2012 at 1:41 AM Post #342 of 1,750
Thanks Rickstahful! Good info for future reference if ordering from MP4 Nation. Obviously, I have no experience with them and felt nervous when ordering.

BTW, if anyone can make comparison - Shure SRH940 vs Brainwavz HM5 - I'd love to hear. It seems there are similarities in sound character.

Jan 4, 2012 at 1:59 AM Post #345 of 1,750
Quote:
Does anyone have both the Audio Technica ATH-M50 and Brainwavz HM5?

Is the HM5 immensely better sounding then the M50, only somewhat improved, or is the difference only noticeable when doing very critical listening?

I have heard that soundstage is larger on the HM5 as well as them being more neutral, but I am stuck on whether the HM5, HD598, or a Beyerdynamic DTxx0 would have the greatest difference in sound quality from the M50's. 

I also have no DAC or amp which is really making the decision tough while I try to stay under a $200 budget.

Part of me wants the HM5, but it also feels like this headphone and the FA-003 are being overhyped and I will buy it but not notice a difference from my M50.

I personally think I preferred the HD598 over what I'm hearing with my HM5s (could be wrong, I no longer have the HD598s). The HM5s sound somewhat bloated and unnatural in comparison, though I did sometimes find myself wishing the HD598s had more bass. That's not to say the HM5 is worse. It's great for its price range and has many great qualities regardless of price. Whether or not it will be an upgrade over the M50s to you entirely depends on your listening preferences and how well you can pick up on differences between cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back