[Review] Brainwavz HM5, A New Neutral Champ
Dec 30, 2011 at 2:17 PM Post #241 of 1,750

Quote:
The bottom part of the ear pad does not push upon my each like the top does. So the bottom is slightly "out." I don't think I'm explaining it correctly.

The cups on the headphones  have a pivot to help equalize the pressure from the top of the ear cup to the bottom of the ear cup. There is not as much hard surface below the ears. With some of the AKG headphones which do not have a horizonal pivot for the ear cups it will put too much pressure on the bottom of the ear cup and in turn partly closes the "vent" (Eustachian) tube for the ears and muffles the sounds for me.

Dec 30, 2011 at 3:48 PM Post #243 of 1,750

Quote:
The cups on the headphones  have a pivot to help equalize the pressure from the top of the ear cup to the bottom of the ear cup. There is not as much hard surface below the ears. With some of the AKG headphones which do not have a horizonal pivot for the ear cups it will put too much pressure on the bottom of the ear cup and in turn partly closes the "vent" (Eustachian) tube for the ears and muffles the sounds for me.

Well I wish they put more pressure on the bottom of the ears =/

Dec 30, 2011 at 6:23 PM Post #244 of 1,750

Quote:
Coming from a Superlux HD668B myself I can say the treble on these are much less fatiguing. At first it seemed to me like there was a loss of detail in the treble right where the 668B had it's spike o.O. However with more listening I feel like I may just have been used to the treble spike of the 668B. Now the HM5 feels just as detailed through the treble, albeit more relaxed sounding. The mids walk all over the 668B for me though and makes them sound hollow and thin by comparison. I am very pleased with my HM5 so far as they are the most natural and overall detail set I currently own. I'd still throw on the Superlux if I'm in a treble head mood 
atsmile.gif

I AGREE ON THIS.
on another note. (can't remember if i mentioned it before.) 
separation is there but. i got too used to my brainwavz m4 iems. the separation/positioning on those things are incredibly phenomenal.  

Dec 31, 2011 at 1:34 AM Post #245 of 1,750
So mine arrived on boxing day (pretty quick for free whipping i would say, far better than paying 20$ to gd-audiobase and waiting for 1 month). Compared to the FA-011, I feel the mids are forward and better overall. The detailing is also better and there is no sibilance as in the FA-011. Bass is also adequate and deep, but lacking the quantity and impact of FA-011s. Found the soundstage to be great for a closed headphone.  Overall, a great set of headphones for the money (I got it for 99$ on pre-order).  I would also like to mention that the packaging and build quality are top-notch, and I couldnt help thinking how poor the FA-011s were packaged in comparison (and I paid more for it).

Dec 31, 2011 at 1:48 AM Post #246 of 1,750
Well... I've had these running music for about a week now constantly...  and I feel like they sound better every time I put them back on my head.  It's been pretty comfortable for me, as I don't seem to run into the top headband problems.  The clamp force + soft ear pads are enough for me where the top headband isn't an issue at all.

I've been running these with a FiiO E10 since after the second day of ownership.  Great pairing.

Dec 31, 2011 at 2:19 PM Post #248 of 1,750

Quote:
Wow, a lot like the hm5's, the first thing I noticed about the hm5 's were the forward midrange. But bass is never lacking, just not much impact. How do they sound on Beatles music?

Beatles are one of the bands I listen to most and I find that they sound great through the HM5 whether it's Octopus Garden, Rocky Raccoon, or I Saw Her Standing There.

Dec 31, 2011 at 4:41 PM Post #250 of 1,750
Play this on Lucy in the sky with diamonds, doesn't the bass really come out and shine, it's a neutral pair of headphones but on LSD, lol, neutrality doesn't really matter. The bass really come out, but deep and controlled. Same for When I'm 64

Users who are viewing this thread

Back