[Review] Brainwavz HM5, A New Neutral Champ
Dec 21, 2011 at 8:47 PM Post #91 of 1,750
Just got mine on the 21st, and they are extremely flat. After having mdr v6s these are a relief. Very good quality, nice rubbrerized body. But after the v6s i can't get used to not having the backround sounds overpowered, the v6s usually overpowered the hard backround tunes. But still a great pair of headphones for 139. Any amp reccomendations?

Dec 21, 2011 at 8:48 PM Post #92 of 1,750

Quote:
If the US was a safer place, I'd move there for cheap food, cheap postage and cheap retail and online products.

As I suspected, delivery to the US is from the US locally. anabolictrance, when did you order yours? If you ordered after the 16th, that's when Amazon got the stock.

Kat over on head-fi explained it, ya I guess it was shipped from the Amazon warehouse

I had pre-ordered it I think the same night you did, because you were posting around that same time. Black Friday weekend if I recall

Dec 21, 2011 at 9:28 PM Post #94 of 1,750
Is it one that starts with RQ and ends with SG? It's not trackable in the normal sense. There may be an update when it leaves Singapore, on ezyparcels or singpost. mp4nation said now all parcels go to Hong Kong first and then to the destination, but they also say the time it takes should be the same or better.

Dec 21, 2011 at 9:29 PM Post #95 of 1,750

Hm, maybe it has something to do with ordering it on black friday?

I ordered mine on the 10th and didn't have en estimated shipping date or anything. It just says that it was shipped with ezyparcel or whatever.
Quote:
Kat over on head-fi explained it, ya I guess it was shipped from the Amazon warehouse

I had pre-ordered it I think the same night you did, because you were posting around that same time. Black Friday weekend if I recall

Dec 22, 2011 at 1:25 AM Post #96 of 1,750
It says "despatched to overseas (Country code: AU)" now on the singpost site. I might get it next week depending how bad the backlog and the customs are.

Dec 22, 2011 at 2:08 AM Post #97 of 1,750
hmmm interesting Signpost is now saying mine are Despatched to overseas (Country code: CA), but the EZParcel site still doesn't know whats happening LOL. The good news is they look like they have left Hong Kong :) Maybe I will have mine before New Years, not holding my breath but you never know :).

Dec 22, 2011 at 2:31 AM Post #98 of 1,750
hurrray!!!!.
mine might arrive in time as a personal christmas present. perhaps even christmas day.
just got tracking info not more than an hour ago and it says it's coming from amazon via ups 3 day shipping.
soooooo........

Dec 22, 2011 at 3:09 AM Post #99 of 1,750

Quote:
hurrray!!!!.
mine might arrive in time as a personal christmas present. perhaps even christmas day.
just got tracking info not more than an hour ago and it says it's coming from amazon via ups 3 day shipping.
soooooo........

x2! 
bigsmile_face.gif

Only have to put up with listening to music on Turtle Beach X12's a little while longer!

Dec 22, 2011 at 4:18 PM Post #100 of 1,750
I am new around these forums so I wouldn't be the right person to talk about the subtle tones etc.

But what I can say about the build:

Mine did come with the case. I know some were wondering about that, but perhaps that is because mine is a pre-order.

Very comfortable! It clamps on my head just fine, but not so much that it hurts or causes pressure. I actually forget that its on my head..

The padding is very soft, and my ears fit inside perfectly without touching the edges.

The underside of the band is a foam feel, and I have had no problems with the top of my head feeling pressure like some headphones.

The cables are thick and seem of good quality.

Sound is very clear, and honestly the bass is exactly what I wanted! I was worried that neutral headphones would lack in bass, but that proved to not be the case.

I now understand what neutral really means, it isn't bass shy.. the bass is there as it should be normally.  I'm a big fan of neutrals now, and don't think I'd ever want a more bass heavy headphone.

With some songs, the bass is intense enough that had I played the song with another headphone.. it would have been annoying.

I am not using an amp, but it seems to play songs just fine from my desktop computer, laptop and mp3 player.

I would like to purchase an amp though, but I need to find one that can act as an external sound card for my desktop, and also portable for my mp3 player. (I have a Sandisk clip zip).

Dec 22, 2011 at 4:21 PM Post #101 of 1,750
I'm hoping these will improve with burn in. They don't sound that impressive out of the box. They have a somewhat bloated, thick sound. Many parts of the sound are just...strange. Probably has something to do with that weird bass hump starting around 200Hz and extending below, if the FA-003 graphs are anything to go by. Drums sound artificial. Certain elements of the sound are very nice. Good soundstage and imaging, though a lot of things sound unnaturally far away.

Keep in mind these are initial impressions. I literally just opened up the box and played a few tunes. I'll be burning them in for sure. They have a lot of potential and a lot of good qualities, but the just sound a bit weird compared to my modded T50RPs out of the box. I have a good feeling about these, and I will most definitely warm up to them I think.

They also aren't very comfortable. Earpads are kind of hard. Very strong clamping force. I bet this will improve over time, and I plan on stretching these out a bit.

They seem to feel better after a few minutes. I think the body heat from your head softens the earpads quite a bit, which might also lead to better sound.

Dec 22, 2011 at 4:21 PM Post #102 of 1,750

Quote:
I am new around these forums so I wouldn't be the right person to talk about the subtle tones etc.

But what I can say about the build:

Mine did come with the case. I know some were wondering about that, but perhaps that is because mine is a pre-order.

Very comfortable! It clamps on my head just fine, but not so much that it hurts or causes pressure. I actually forget that its on my head..

The padding is very soft, and my ears fit inside perfectly without touching the edges.

The underside of the band is a foam feel, and I have had no problems with the top of my head feeling pressure like some headphones.

The cables are thick and seem of good quality.

Sound is very clear, and honestly the bass is exactly what I wanted! I was worried that neutral headphones would lack in bass, but that proved to not be the case.

I now understand what neutral really means, it isn't bass shy.. the bass is there as it should be normally.  I'm a big fan of neutrals now, and don't think I'd ever want a more bass heavy headphone.

With some songs, the bass is intense enough that had I played the song with another headphone.. it would have been annoying.

I am not using an amp, but it seems to play songs just fine from my desktop computer, laptop and mp3 player.

I would like to purchase an amp though, but I need to find one that can act as an external sound card for my desktop, and also portable for my mp3 player. (I have a Sandisk clip zip).

I'm getting mine tomorrow, but can you give us a full description of the contents of what's included in your package so that the rest of us may know what to expect?

Dec 22, 2011 at 7:18 PM Post #103 of 1,750

Quote:
I'm getting mine tomorrow, but can you give us a full description of the contents of what's included in your package so that the rest of us may know what to expect?

Mine came in the case. Inside were the headphones, an extra set of pads, both the short and long cables, 6.5 mm adapter, and a warranty card. The packaging/accessories are really nice. Color me impressed.

Dec 22, 2011 at 7:20 PM Post #104 of 1,750
Also the doctor fixed my ear today. Huzzah! He pulled the biggest blob of earwax out that I've ever seen. Seriously, you could've made a miniature candle with that thing. I guess no more IEM's for me. Can't wait til I get home tonight to commence burn in.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 22, 2011 at 8:07 PM Post #105 of 1,750

Quote:
Also the doctor fixed my ear today. Huzzah! He pulled the biggest blob of earwax out that I've ever seen. Seriously, you could've made a miniature candle with that thing. I guess no more IEM's for me. Can't wait til I get home tonight to commence burn in.
smily_headphones1.gif

Hah!... That's pretty disgusting... 
ph34r.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back