[Review] Brainwavz HM5, A New Neutral Champ
Oct 31, 2015 at 8:48 AM Post #1,726 of 1,750
  The mod proposed here is so awesome!!

http://www.head-fi.org/t/615030/unleash-the-full-potential-of-your-brainwavz-hm5-or-fa-003-with-mods

I don´t know if I even like them better than the M-100 for home listening...

And a little bit of cotton... Wonderfull!!!

The soundstage goes several levels up!!

Sorry for bringing this up, i just got my HM5 and find it harsh at upper mid and sibilance sopran female vocal, tried velour pad but it doesn't help much. Is this mod will brings down the problems? also i kinda have a difficulty of getting the mod stuffs, can I substitute them with usual cotton, dense foam for side, and flannel cloth instead of felt?

thanks.

Nov 3, 2015 at 4:24 AM Post #1,727 of 1,750
Nevermind, i tried the mod like on the first post, here it goes:

Instead using dynamat i use acoustic mat as suggested by local car audio store, more less similar like dynamat with aluminum top.

39760ab82b6ba24ef98db66b60661bcb.jpg

Fill with aquarium filter (dacron?)

c527c4396a4a70077229e31bdf9b1efd.jpg

Covered the front driver with fiber felt

df18b1c03a9b300c3877b9ae6d5609d7.jpg

I'm still hearing some sibilance with woman vocal, but i think the harsh part is gone (maybe). Any extra suggestion? I didn't replace cup felt with mat tho.

Credit to OP.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Dec 29, 2015 at 7:01 PM Post #1,728 of 1,750
Try removing the cups and keeping the pads on, and playing pink noise while you listen. Now hold your fingers over the black foam in the middle of the driver's backside. You're trying to seal the hole the foam is coming out of with your skin. Listen carefully to the high mids area. Notice how sealing this area kind of scoops out a bit of high mids? I think I'm going to try a mod based on this effect. Might help the 2.8-ish khz peak!

Edit: has anyone tried tearing the foam off the inside of the cup? I'm thinking of tearing it off, using it as a template for dynamat, line the rear with dynamat, and glue foam back over the dynamat. Thoughts?

re-edit: Just tried putting two felt pads into the rear cup so they press up against the rear of the driver, where the black foam is. Don't do that. Ever. Ugh!

Jan 25, 2016 at 3:03 AM Post #1,729 of 1,750
I'm interested in buying one - almost ordered one but once I check Amazon I backed out due to it's headband cracking issue.

Here my question to the owners of this Headphone, Anybody used regularly what is the MAX expected life before appearing Cracks on the Headphone Band.

At Amazon user claim it was 7 months if use regularly.

P.S: - I have a Big Head above my Shoulders....so Longevity is less for me ..Right ?

Jan 25, 2016 at 11:48 AM Post #1,730 of 1,750
  I'm interested in buying one - almost ordered one but once I check Amazon I backed out due to it's headband cracking issue.

Here my question to the owners of this Headphone, Anybody used regularly what is the MAX expected life before appearing Cracks on the Headphone Band.

At Amazon user claim it was 7 months if use regularly.

P.S: - I have a Big Head above my Shoulders....so Longevity is less for me ..Right ?

Maybe get the 'clone' NVX 100...the headband is more flexible.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/cat_m725_i736_nvx-over-ear-headphones.html

http://www.nvx.com/xpt100-studio-over-ear-headphones/

http://www.amazon.com/NVX-Over-Ear-Headphones-ComfortMax-Cushions/dp/B0093PVTPS

Feb 6, 2016 at 11:54 AM Post #1,731 of 1,750
I've had my HM5 for well over a year now and have had no issues. I baby them, just like everything else I own though. I bring them to work most days to listen to on my lunch break. 

Mar 6, 2016 at 11:50 PM Post #1,733 of 1,750
Try removing the cups and keeping the pads on, and playing pink noise while you listen. Now hold your fingers over the black foam in the middle of the driver's backside. You're trying to seal the hole the foam is coming out of with your skin. Listen carefully to the high mids area. Notice how sealing this area kind of scoops out a bit of high mids? I think I'm going to try a mod based on this effect. Might help the 2.8-ish khz peak!

Edit: has anyone tried tearing the foam off the inside of the cup? I'm thinking of tearing it off, using it as a template for dynamat, line the rear with dynamat, and glue foam back over the dynamat. Thoughts?

re-edit: Just tried putting two felt pads into the rear cup so they press up against the rear of the driver, where the black foam is. Don't do that. Ever. Ugh!

Whoaa, good I decided not to remove that rear felt, but my HM5 seems to sound better after burned it again with pink noise. maybe...

May 3, 2016 at 1:20 PM Post #1,734 of 1,750

My headband recently had started cracking like most people say will eventually happen. Fixed it up with one of those kits where the glue hardens under UV light. Lightly sanded the area of the cracks, and applied the glue. Seems to be holding up fine. Doesn't look as pretty anymore, but the headphones still work and I've always enjoyed their sound.

May 24, 2016 at 5:20 PM Post #1,736 of 1,750
This is better than ath m50x?

Ive never heard the m50 for myself, but going off of what i remember reading about the M50, the HM5 should be the more nuetral heqdphone. The one with the flatter response overall. For me it compares very nicely with my Q701. I call it my sealed back Q701. It sounds very similar in terms of frequency response.

May 25, 2016 at 3:45 AM Post #1,738 of 1,750
  Hey, I was wondering if someone here had heard the AKG K550 (or K553 pro or K550 MK2's) and can compare these? Thanks! 

550 is better than hm5, If you like Hm5 model Fischer Audio FA003Ti has better SQ than HM5.

http://fischeraudio.com/shop/fa-003-ti/

Feb 7, 2017 at 5:51 PM Post #1,739 of 1,750
I tried a pair today. My baseline is against DT 770/990

I thought the build was meh, not bad, but not great either.

The sound was very boring compared to the DT 770/990. I don't know how to describe it, but it sounded like a less muddy M50x, but just as analytical and a tad more soundstage.

Returned the cans, didn't like them.

Apr 4, 2017 at 10:56 PM Post #1,740 of 1,750
These sound pretty good on my Schiit Magni 2 Uber on low gain. I have a window AC running right now in the same room my headphone rig is in so I decided to try these on my desktop rig since they isolate better than the HD650. They don't sound as good, but not bad and they almost block out the sound of my AC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back