[Review] Brainwavz HM5, A New Neutral Champ
Oct 6, 2014 at 4:04 PM Post #1,681 of 1,750
4 days later. I'm still liking them quite a bit. At first I was using a little bit of EQ, but now I'm using them flat and like it. It is a very neutral sound in my opinion. They are also pretty smooth with no noticeable peaks or dips. All around a great headphone that works well straight out of a smartphone.

Oct 27, 2014 at 11:03 PM Post #1,682 of 1,750
I have posted a full review of these:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/brainwavz-hm5-studio-monitor-headphones/reviews/11802

I like them quite a bit. 

Oct 31, 2014 at 12:44 PM Post #1,683 of 1,750
So what is the general consensus on build quality and sound ?
Some people have used it for a longer time now. Is the build quality and audio mono jack inputs durable? Do the super soft pads skin peel off?

Nov 1, 2014 at 11:34 AM Post #1,684 of 1,750
  So what is the general consensus on build quality and sound ?
Some people have used it for a longer time now. Is the build quality and audio mono jack inputs durable? Do the super soft pads skin peel off?

I've only had mine for about a month, so I can't comment on long term durability. They seem well built though, and I love the sound.

Nov 1, 2014 at 5:29 PM Post #1,685 of 1,750
What amplification woul dbe usefull for HM5 ? I have only xonar DG and want to order that headphone but wonder if they would benefit from any of the fiio products. Mainly for use with pc and occasionally console/smartphone.
ofc my budget is already a bit stretched so which of the cheaper fiio products would cut it ?

Nov 2, 2014 at 8:29 AM Post #1,689 of 1,750
I would often take my headphones to classes so that I could listen to music on my commute. Instead of using the carrying case (which I bought an older model that came with the large box case), I simply placed it in my bag with all my other things. After months of this, the pressure from all of my things broke the plastic on the right cupholder. After using superglue to fix the right, it wasn't long before the left eventually went as well. I still have the cups in perfect condition but I had to throw away the headband.

Nov 2, 2014 at 8:37 AM Post #1,690 of 1,750
oh ok. So They would nt break in normal condition.

Maybe YOu could make a woodcraft or something if You are a handy person. How are the cupholders attached to the cups ?

Nov 2, 2014 at 8:40 AM Post #1,691 of 1,750
buy a HD600\HD580 headband with cupholders or a used HD600\HD580.It fits perfectly!

Nov 2, 2014 at 8:06 PM Post #1,692 of 1,750
What amplification woul dbe usefull for HM5 ? I have only xonar DG and want to order that headphone but wonder if they would benefit from any of the fiio products. Mainly for use with pc and occasionally console/smartphone.
ofc my budget is already a bit stretched so which of the cheaper fiio products would cut it ?

Do you own an HM5 yet? I'm guessing that you don't, because if you did you should notice how easy to drive they are. They will be just fine straight out of a smartphone headphone jack. My Samsung Galaxy S4 powers them very well, never exceeding the 60% mark. For use with a computer if you are looking to do better than your computers internal sound card then something in the Fiio line-up would be more than enough. Anything more would be overkill. You could use the modi/magni pairing or the ODAC/O2 combo, but those would both be overkill.

I have used a few hard to drive headphones that require powerful amps, this is not one of them. They are quite sensitive and quite easy to drive.

Nov 4, 2014 at 3:33 PM Post #1,693 of 1,750
Do you own an HM5 yet? I'm guessing that you don't, because if you did you should notice how easy to drive they are. They will be just fine straight out of a smartphone headphone jack. My Samsung Galaxy S4 powers them very well, never exceeding the 60% mark. For use with a computer if you are looking to do better than your computers internal sound card then something in the Fiio line-up would be more than enough. Anything more would be overkill. You could use the modi/magni pairing or the ODAC/O2 combo, but those would both be overkill.

I have used a few hard to drive headphones that require powerful amps, this is not one of them. They are quite sensitive and quite easy to drive.

They indeed do sound pretty good straight out of a smartphone/macbook headphone jack, but I found them to scale really well when amped.

Nov 5, 2014 at 6:40 AM Post #1,694 of 1,750
Just got them !!!!!!

HOLY COW they are fantastic on all fronts. From build quality to comfort and finally the fanastic detailed but enjoyable sound. Who said the bass is lacking ? It's the most precise bass ever

Nov 7, 2014 at 6:34 PM Post #1,695 of 1,750
So these are fantastic after few days of listening.
Any tips regarding usage ? Are the both set of pads the same softness ?

Also. I am using xonar dg but would like something on desk to plug into. Maybe fiio e10 ? (something that would also allow me to plug speakers)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back