[Review] Brainwavz HM5, A New Neutral Champ
Jun 20, 2014 at 12:06 AM Post #1,666 of 1,750
That sounds really interesting....has anyone tried them yet?  Please share your impressions?

My pair shipped yesterday but it'll take at least a week before I get them.

Jul 1, 2014 at 4:49 PM Post #1,668 of 1,750
I tried the open mod  long time ago. Imo it did not work. Hm5/digitech is one of the best bang for the buck around but  I don't feel it compares to takstars's offerings so I gave up with them. However hm5 and its copies are great place to start a headphone hobby. Amazing build and accerories. Gotta love them...but for me those have been outranked.

Jul 2, 2014 at 7:57 AM Post #1,669 of 1,750
Thought I'll update this ...painted it matte black to make it more refined shall we say .....also added some electrical tape to the adjustments to make them more secure , the picture makes it look funny  , in real life it looks flush and sharp 
I know this is far fetched but this could quite possibly be the best looking HM5 , I like it more than the 3D-Printed cups that Brainwavz makes , time to enjoy the sound and that automotive paint :wink:  

Jul 2, 2014 at 8:00 AM Post #1,670 of 1,750
  I tried the open mod  long time ago. Imo it did not work. Hm5/digitech is one of the best bang for the buck around but  I don't feel it compares to takstars's offerings so I gave up with them. However hm5 and its copies are great place to start a headphone hobby. Amazing build and accerories. Gotta love them...but for me those have been outranked.

I think after the open mod the HM5 kills the 598s in terms of fidelity and neutrality , the 598 may be a touch soft and less grainy but overall the HM5 win for me , they are getting more head time than ever
I like the Takstars , will get those one day !  

Jul 14, 2014 at 5:47 PM Post #1,672 of 1,750
if it weren't for the tight grip, i'd love these. As the HD650 headband fits, i'll get that as soon as i have some money spare.

Jul 14, 2014 at 9:28 PM Post #1,673 of 1,750
  if it weren't for the tight grip, i'd love these. As the HD650 headband fits, i'll get that as soon as i have some money spare.

If you stretch the headband with a few books (OK more than a few), it'll help out the tight grip.  I know I broke out my Chronicles of Narnia collection to break in the headband :p 

Jul 22, 2014 at 4:19 AM Post #1,674 of 1,750
  Interesting "upgrade for these headphones.

BRAINWAVZ HM5 Clarity Boost - Low Profile - 3D Printed Headphone Cups - Black

http://www.mp4nation.net/brainwavz-hm5-clarity-boost-low-profile-3d-printed-headphone-cups-free-fedex-2-day-to-select-destination

I've got the white version. The 3D-printed cups indeed bring out the treble. In fact, it's a tad bright for me. For people who think HM5 is too smooth on the upper range or think there isn't enough energy in high frequencies, it is a good way to change the sound signature. However, because of the resolution of the 3D printer, I don't think it looks very good. And when changed, the cups will make the enclosures hard to swivel.

Everyone seems to be praising Soundmagic HP100 and HP200, are they really that much better than stock HM5? They are all sold out as well. I wonder whether HP200 would be an upgrade from my modded HM5.

Aug 7, 2014 at 11:10 PM Post #1,676 of 1,750
I've got the white version. The 3D-printed cups indeed bring out the treble. In fact, it's a tad bright for me. For people who think HM5 is too smooth on the upper range or think there isn't enough energy in high frequencies, it is a good way to change the sound signature. However, because of the resolution of the 3D printer, I don't think it looks very good. And when changed, the cups will make the enclosures hard to swivel.

Everyone seems to be praising Soundmagic HP100 and HP200, are they really that much better than stock HM5? They are all sold out as well. I wonder whether HP200 would be an upgrade from my modded HM5.

Soundmagic HP150 is nice! :D

Aug 26, 2014 at 7:16 PM Post #1,678 of 1,750
Damn! One of my cup holders broke today and i hardly did anything except for taking them off my head with one hand. At least the HD600/650 Headband fits so i'll look for one used on the net.

Oct 1, 2014 at 10:09 PM Post #1,680 of 1,750
Got a pair today. These are sweet. Got a review sample from Brainwavz. Will burn them in and write up a review in a week or so. So far about an hour in and they are very nice. Sound somewhat similar to a closed Q701.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back