[Review] Brainwavz HM5, A New Neutral Champ
Apr 5, 2014 at 11:53 AM Post #1,653 of 1,750
  Question, I'm looking for a Dac+amp combo for the HM5, How's the Modi/Magni stack?

In my opinion, you don't need a Dac or amp for the HM5.  I personally didn't find it improved much.  Instead, I chose to save up and put the money towards upgrading my headphones, which I have noticed a significant difference.  You can find some great deals on Head-fi and can also trade if you don't like a certain sound signature or want to try something else.  My problem now becomes one of diminishing returns--what is the sweet spot for quality and cost?

As for answering on the Modi/Magni, I'll let someone else speak to that as I haven't experienced those personally.  I have a ELE DAC EL-002 that I use as a DAC only with a BSG Cmoy 18V with a AD8620 Op amp that has worked great for my Q701's, TDK IE800's, and TDK BA200's. The ELE Dac was about $10 new on Ebay and the BSG Cmoy is fairly inexpensive.  The op amp was a little pricier but well worth it, IMO.  I wouldn't mind a DAC that can play higher resolution files, but the sound I'm currently getting is very enjoyable and detailed.  

I hope this helps a little.  Remember, this is just MY opinion and not meant as stand alone.

May 14, 2014 at 3:40 PM Post #1,654 of 1,750
Can somebody tell me how to open these? I want to get the pads off, but I don't know how to get inside. I've googled it, but all I get is results on how easy they are to take apart, which I believe, but I still don't know how.

May 14, 2014 at 4:03 PM Post #1,655 of 1,750
You turn the pads, i think (counter)clockwise then take them easily off.The screws should be able to see then.

May 16, 2014 at 8:14 AM Post #1,657 of 1,750
I snipped off the tight-material filters between the drivers and the ears (attached to the pads) and I immediately noticed a much more open, deep sound, of course, I've yet to compare it properly but just initial impressions.

May 18, 2014 at 7:09 AM Post #1,659 of 1,750
I tried.. but just could not get to pull out the drivers anyway. one of the driver diaphragm was squeezed up. so had to break away the front grill to pull it back in shape
redface.gif

May 23, 2014 at 3:30 PM Post #1,660 of 1,750
Has anyone had any experience with both the Brainwavz HM5/NVX XPT100/Fischer Audio FA-003s and the AKG K551s?

I'm looking for a neutral and detailed sealed headphone for mostly acoustic/classical, and with discounts on Amazon in the UK the prices their prices are similar enough for me to consider both. Thanks in advance for any help!

May 26, 2014 at 6:05 PM Post #1,661 of 1,750
AKG K551 is pretty much same as K550 I suppose.AKG's and HM5 have completely different characters. AKG's are clear and bright HM5 is dark and more romantic. Neither of those are musical headphones... But if you prefer clarity over somehow darker presentation go with AKG's. Both are neutral headphones but both have different means of achieving that neutral tone.

Jun 18, 2014 at 10:06 AM Post #1,662 of 1,750
I'm trying to find the right pair of headphones for use primarily in the library at my university. I had the GR07 and although I loved the sound I just can't stand wearing IEMs.  I like the price of the Takstar pro80 and the HM5 and am considering one of these. The HM5 seems like the better 'phones but im not quite sure I won look completely ridiculous wearing these in public. What do you guys think?

Jun 19, 2014 at 9:24 AM Post #1,664 of 1,750
HM5 pads in velour are now available:

http://www.mp4nation.net/brainwavz-hm5-velor-memory-foam-earpad-suitable-for-other-large-over-the-ear-headphones-1pc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back