Review: Beyerdynamic DT880 03' w/ comparison to my beloved AD700's.
Oct 10, 2008 at 11:57 AM Post #47 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Probably. I think the very tips of my ears touch the foam bit in front of the drivers but it's not too bad. Any more than that and you probably need new pads.

Ah yes, well I guess these are not fully worn then. I'll keep them just a little longer. Though one pad is more worn then the other, it's not that bad.

Oct 10, 2008 at 11:21 PM Post #48 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
whatever happened to your 880/k701/ad700 thing? did you end up returning or selling the k701s?

I CANT DECIDE! D:

They all have strengths and weaknesses... I'm trying to think about which has the best strengths and the worst weaknesses but its so tricky!

Oct 11, 2008 at 12:15 AM Post #49 of 59
Just wondering, do you ever get the feeling that the k701 sounds plasticky? the 7khz peak on its FR graphs scare me. Actually I've done a little simulation and eq'd my hd600s to make it closer to the k701 based on their difference on the graphs and the hd600s sound like a big plastic haze was sprayed on it with that 7khz hump. I've also realized that a boost at 7khz makes the bass seem a lot thinner than it really is which could explain why people say the k701s sound thin compared to senns despite the measurements showing more bass than even the hd650.

EDIT: I know that what I did is not going to accurately depict the sound of the k701s hehehe but 7khz is 7khz. whats up with that evil peak there? I've heard some people say that k701s do have a plastic sheen to its sound... If it is as much as the simulated eq does, it sounds ridiculous. Anyone care to comment?

Oct 11, 2008 at 12:48 AM Post #50 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah yes. The Johnny Cash effect.
wink.gif

I like them though I think I really need a good amp. They don't sound as good as I want them to be..

Nice review!

Just received a pair of DT880/2003, purchased from eBay. This is my second outing with the Beyers, headphones I really liked before (about three years ago) but sold (and then later regretted).

Matched with the Darkvoice 337, the DT880/2003 sound the best I've ever heard them: brilliant, unrestrained highs, clear, lively mids and deep, plowing bass all in a generous headspace.

Next to the K501, the DT880/2003 are my favorite open headphones. I'm very glad I took a second listen! : )

Oct 11, 2008 at 2:14 AM Post #51 of 59
Quote:

Just wondering, do you ever get the feeling that the k701 sounds plasticky? the 7khz peak on its FR graphs scare me. Actually I've done a little simulation and eq'd my hd600s to make it closer to the k701 based on their difference on the graphs and the hd600s sound like a big plastic haze was sprayed on it with that 7khz hump. I've also realized that a boost at 7khz makes the bass seem a lot thinner than it really is which could explain why people say the k701s sound thin compared to senns despite the measurements showing more bass than even the hd650.

EDIT: I know that what I did is not going to accurately depict the sound of the k701s hehehe but 7khz is 7khz. whats up with that evil peak there? I've heard some people say that k701s do have a plastic sheen to its sound... If it is as much as the simulated eq does, it sounds ridiculous. Anyone care to comment?

I dont think they sound plasticky... Not sure what they mean by that. I do think they sound a wee bit thin, not as thin as ER6i's without Shure Olives though.

Oct 11, 2008 at 11:26 AM Post #55 of 59
Quote:

In my, and others', experience the K701 exhibit a discontinuity in the upper midrange/lower treble that sounds to me like a smear. Cymbals can often expose this "glitch" in the K701's sound.

I was not keenly aware of this until I did exhaustive a/b-ing between the K701 (RAL re-cabled, no less) and the K501 (stock). Unfortunately, that nasty little glitch effectively wrecks the midrange of the K701, IMHO. The K501 are much, much, much more coherent in the critical midrange than the K701 (IMHE).

Oct 11, 2008 at 11:38 AM Post #56 of 59
graphCompare.php

The graphs of both the 501 are very similar actually except for difference in bass boost and the extra boost in the mids from 3 to 6khz. Wonder if thats the reason why the 501s are more coherent. I wonder if the akgs graphs tell us how they sound accurately. All the cans Ive had that has a measurement on headroom usually sounds like how they measure from my experience.

Oct 11, 2008 at 12:16 PM Post #57 of 59
Donunus, your general believe in graphs is a bit exagerrated IMO...

Oct 11, 2008 at 12:22 PM Post #58 of 59
hahaha, everytime I do hear major flaws in cans ex... the 990s highs... The akg 240s highs at 10khz etc... the graphs show exactly what I hear to be wrong with the cans. The highs, I'm especially sensitive to which is the reason for my fear of buying the k701/k702s blind. Unfortunately, I live in a country where I cant audition anything. If I were in the US, My post count would considerably be less and I would be posting more in the headfi meets section
wink_face.gif

EDIT: AAAhhhh the ad2000 was the one that had a graph that puzzled me. The mids on them didn't sound flat to me at all and they measure flat on the ryumatsuba site, so there are exceptions to the rule which is what I have been wishing deep down with the k701s. I know that a flat measuring can doesnt sound flat though because of hrtf issues but I usually notice the harsh spikes and dips like the beyer spike and the senn dip.

I am in the mood to try some semi-fast sounding neutral cans without any recessed mids and the 701s seem to be the only ones that are affordable with that criteria in mind... besides the hd600s that I also have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back