Review: Beyerdynamic DT880 03' w/ comparison to my beloved AD700's.
Sep 1, 2008 at 6:49 PM Post #31 of 59
ah I see, thanks apatN

I guess I'll find out when they arrive if the bass is whack. Too bad I don't know anyone with 03's to compare.

Sep 1, 2008 at 6:55 PM Post #32 of 59
The 2005 has more kickbass and very little deep bass, whereas the 2003 model is vice versa.

Sep 1, 2008 at 7:19 PM Post #33 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 2005 has more kickbass and very little deep bass, whereas the 2003 model is vice versa.

Are you sure the kickbass is not just covering up the deep bass and the amplitudes down there are the same, but the relative levels are like you say?

Do you have any comments about the mids or highs?

Sep 1, 2008 at 8:38 PM Post #34 of 59
My buddy Noxter has the 2005 model, and we both agree in respect of the bass. Considering mids, the newer version has a (very slight) agressive touch compared to the old model. Highs don't differ significantly. Allover, the newer DT880 is a bit "gradoed", which makes it more suitable for the oh-yeah-oh-babe stuff.
biggrin.gif

Sep 1, 2008 at 8:42 PM Post #35 of 59
I never heard them side to side but from what I've read here the 05 is like nickchen and I are saying. People often seem to like their 03 better. That's not say there not good. Beyer even says that their 05 is only cosmetically different from the 03. Though people here claim otherwise.

PS. There is something similar going on with the HD650. There is an old model and a new one with another material used for damping I believe. People here claim to hear a difference between them.

Sep 1, 2008 at 10:57 PM Post #36 of 59
I was able to compaer the 03 w/ the 05 version of the DT880 and IMO the presentation was more natural, open, engaging w/ the 03. The instruments were easier to place w/ a more realistic clarity. Since I was looking for other headphones I just sold the DT880 and I already miss them. Who knows I may pick up another pair in the future.
wink.gif

Sep 2, 2008 at 4:27 AM Post #37 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by bowraboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
fraserboy,

Have you tried the AD900?

They would be, to me, the obvious step if you like the AD700. Great sounding headphone and easily driven.

No I haven't. I came to the conclusion (from what I've read) that the AD900 is not much of an improvement over the AD700. I decided it wouldn't be worth the extra money since I probably wouldn't really notice it anyway.

Quote:

Originally Posted by spronkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice review! I'm almost crazy enough to buy a pair outright on looks alone. Those '03s are just gorgeous!

I'm guessing you'd say they're somewhere in between the AD700s and the HD580s in terms of tone then? And the opposite end of the spectrum in terms of ultimate detail?

Must say, if you did decide to sell those DT880s at some point I'm not sure I could stop myself.
smily_headphones1.gif

They do sound like cans to grow into though from what I've read. Be interested to hear your thoughts after a few weeks
smily_headphones1.gif

They have more detail than both the HD580's and the AD700s (AD700s are less detailed than HD580's though IMO) and... Hmm yeah, they're in between. Maybe more tilted towards the AD700's.

Yes, they are the most beautiful cans I own (although I am quite partial to the purple and gold of the AD700's...
wink.gif
) and if I do decide to sell I will be sure to PM you. How are the HD580's btw?

Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another great review Fras....
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh man, I'm starting to feel 'recessed mid syndrome' out of my AD700's. Damn upgradeitis (Denon C700 canalphones) thus no $$$. :/
Anyway, ya right about the AD700's price, it's stupidly good value.

Anyway Fras, how's the burn-in on the DT880's?

Thanks
beerchug.gif

I find that the mids on the AD700's become alot more prominent with burn in. Haven't been burning in the DT880's. They probably already have 50 or so hours on them from the previous owner.

Just to reiterate: OK Computer sounds AMAZING on these
dt880smile.png

Sep 2, 2008 at 4:40 PM Post #38 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoomzDayz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you sure the kickbass is not just covering up the deep bass and the amplitudes down there are the same, but the relative levels are like you say?

Do you have any comments about the mids or highs?

I was playing around with test tones and a number of my headphones. I set the level at 1K Hz, then dropped down to 100 Hz and went down one Hz at a time until I couldn't hear anything. The DT880 was audible to 35Hz and started dropping at around 50Hz. I only have 2 headphones that go lower, the Stax SR-Gamma and the Yamaha HP-1. Both go to 30Hz.

I listen at low levels so for someone who listens louder, they may go a little deeper. However, they still start to roll off at 50Hz. It may also change with different equipment. I was listening out of my vintage NAD 3155 integrated amp.

Sep 2, 2008 at 7:18 PM Post #39 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find that the mids on the AD700's become alot more prominent with burn in. Haven't been burning in the DT880's. They probably already have 50 or so hours on them from the previous owner.

Yeah, but even when burned-in like mine are, I still feel the AD700's mids are recessed. Overnight burn-in doesn't hurt
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyway, let's hope you have OK Computer in FLAC / ripped from CD to FLAC to give them justice
wink.gif

Sep 3, 2008 at 3:28 AM Post #40 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, but even when burned-in like mine are, I still feel the AD700's mids are recessed. Overnight burn-in doesn't hurt
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyway, let's hope you have OK Computer in FLAC / ripped from CD to FLAC to give them justice
wink.gif

I don't notice any recession. Maybe my LD MKII is doing good things to it?

I think the listening post has K701's (and my english teacher works there
biggrin.gif
) so I may be able to give them an audition and see if I like them more than my DT880's. From what I've read they take the detail of the DT880's and add a huge soundstage and nicer mids. Sounds perfect.

Yes. DT880's are probably the only headphones were I could tell the difference between Mp3 and FLAC
biggrin.gif

Sep 3, 2008 at 4:42 AM Post #41 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by ATHFan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very nice review!
atsmile.gif

Makes me wonder if I should get the ATH-AD900 afterall in stead of the DT 880. I plan to connect them with a Yamaha RX-V663 amplifier/receiver and use the headphones for gaming, movie watching, anime watching and Hip Hop and R&B listening.

For more details, read the following thread:

Yamaha RX-V663 Amplifier/Receiver: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/yam...ceiver-357437/

Don't waiver.. YOU know you want them 600 ohm 880's. I was playing the SC DEMO for the PS3. After modifying the parameters of a certain Soundfield, The clanking of the swords made me do a most satisying grin.. Nice reverb, but not too much.. Just felt 3D like, real, with nice weight and imaging.. The water SS effects were 'OK'. I guess Resistance spoiled me.

Sep 3, 2008 at 4:53 AM Post #42 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Those who have read my posts will know that I absolutely love the Audio Technica AD700's! They're comfortable and sound AMAZING with the most immersive soundstage I have ever experienced. Strangely though, my favorite sound comes from the ER6i's. The detail, the instrument separation and the neutrality makes what I consider the perfect sound. Only problem is, my ears do not seem to like having bits of foam stuffed in them (I use the Shure Olives) and after 10 minutes or so I begin to experience pain.

And so my quest began, to try find the sound of the ER6i's (maybe with some aspects of the AD700's) in a full sized can. Through vast amounts of googling I came across reports that the DT880's were very detailed and neutral, but with a slight exaggeration in the treble, and lots of soundstage. They sounded near perfect. So I bought a set of 03's (mostly due to people saying the 05's had a more bass which wasn't what I was looking for.)

Out of a sea of foam peanuts...

A Beyerdynamic monster appears!

They come with a nice but fairly useless case. It's quite big compared to the headphones themselves but I guess it would be handy if I were to transport them somewhere (like to a LAN party).

Unzip it...

And there they are! I have to say I quite like the silver and black styling. It makes them look kinda oldschool, in a good way. While the 05's look more modern, I still prefer the style of the 03's.

The build is quite good. None of the creaking that I experience with my AD700's. They seem rock solid. The only part that's not perfect is the swiveling mechanism of the cups. Could just by my pair, but the left one seems to catch on something and make a clicking sound when twisted the right way. Not sure what's going on there, but it doesn't seem to affect the comfort or placement.

And what comfort! The velour pads are EXTREMELY soft, softer (and deeper) than my AD700's. They're sized perfectly to surround my ear and don't reach down to my upper cheek like the AD700's do. By the way each cup automatically touches together you would think that they clamp. In truth, they clamping force is almost zero! They're also VERY VERY light (alot more than they look). They feel like they're about the same or maybe a touch heavier than the AD700's. Since they don't have the 3d wing headband of the AD700's, they put more pressure on the top of your head but it's still not bad. Overall I think they're just as comfortable as the AD700 and would probably suit smaller heads better.

Now, the part that you've all been waiting for... SOUND!
dt880smile.png

To make thing's simpler, I'll break it down into the different aspects of the sound. I recommend reading it all though, not just the aspects that are of interest to you.

Highs

The treble is quite prominent with lots of 'sparkle' and is exceptionally clear. Some may find this too much but I personally don't mind. The AD700's don't have as much treble sparkle and, in comparison, it sounds grainy. Cymbals are more 'real' on the DT880's. In extremely bright recordings they can become fatiguing due to the amount of sparkle. Very very clear though. They do acoustic guitar VERY well.

Mids

Less prominent, slightly recessed compared to the rest of the music. I personally can't stand recessed mids. Luckily it's not TOO bad on the DT880's. I originally thought that the AD700's had recessed mids, but that seems to have been fixed with burn in. One thing about the mids though is that they seem to be separated from the rest of the music. The mids are in your head and the rest of the music is like around you. The tone of the mids is less bright than the AD700's as well. Overall they seem more natural but less fun.

Bass

DT880's have exceptional bass. It has about the same extension as the AD700's but much more slam and presence, yet still remains totally tight. Very very nice bass. Nicely textured too.

Soundstage

Quite interesting... They do have soundstage, not all in your head like a Grado. It's just interesting soundstage. While the music in the AD700's is front back, left right, all around, in the DT880's it's just left to right. It seems more 2D. Still, it's much more natural and probably more true to the recording.

Tone and Upfrontedness

DT880's are more... Mellow, perhaps warmer. AD700's in comparison seem very bright. I've heard people say the DT880's are cold and thin. While the treble does lead to a slightly thin sound, I don't think they're cold at all. Could just be my amp. They say that tubes do good things to the DT880's... To my ears the AD700's are on the stage and the DT880's are in the front row. They're not like senns so they still suit rock quite well.

Detail and Separation

MUCH MUCH more detailed than my AD700's. Nothing is lost. The seperation is quite good too, but not up to the standard of my ER6i's. On the ER6i's you can focus on one part of the music and it's like in it's own 'part'. Very hard to explain but it's something which I think must be exclusive to Ety's.

Overall I think the DT880's are great totally natural cans. They reveal EVERYTHING and it's always good to have those types of cans around. However I think the AD700's have a more 'fun' sound which suits rock better. Less natural and real, but more enjoyable. As for whether the Beyers do what the Ety's do... I don't think so. Moreso than the AD700's but they just ain't ety's. Probably no full size can has that ety sound... But if anyone has suggestions I'd love to hear them!

So are they a keeper? I'm really not sure yet... It amazes me how well the AD700's perform for there price. They are greatly underappreciated IMO. I find it funny that this has turned into a battle to find a pair of headphones that can beat a set of $120 AD700's. But in comparison to the DT880's I must admit the AD700's sound blurry, coloured, unnatural and lacking in bass while in comparison to the AD700's the DT880's sound extremely clear, more natural but the midrange sounds recessed and they seem slower with less energy.

Nice set up for a 15 yr old.. I do disagree about the 880's soundstage being just left & right.. From my experience the soundstage is very front focused , like the audio is 1-2FT away from your face.. And the seemed to be coming from the walls instead of my ears.. Very ss like.. HL2 on the 360 startled me as i could hear the crab heads in 4 distint locations. F,B,L,R.

Sep 3, 2008 at 5:23 AM Post #43 of 59
I agree with you bubba. Listening as we speak and I hear a more up front type of sound, but it's up front from different directions (and not just left and right). This is within my first few hours of listening to the dt880's. They're damn sexy i must say.

Oct 9, 2008 at 9:24 PM Post #44 of 59
I think my pads are pretty worn. Do your ears ever touch the headphone itself? My ears touch them, that's why. Not that much, but definitely noticeably. Do you think I should get some new pads?

Oct 10, 2008 at 12:29 AM Post #45 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think my pads are pretty worn. Do your ears ever touch the headphone itself? My ears touch them, that's why. Not that much, but definitely noticeably. Do you think I should get some new pads?

Probably. I think the very tips of my ears touch the foam bit in front of the drivers but it's not too bad. Any more than that and you probably need new pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back