[REVIEW] Beresford TC-7510 MKIII DAC (56k warning)
May 1, 2007 at 7:40 AM Post #121 of 273
Quote:

Originally Posted by feifan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey T&C, congratulations! Be sure to pop in a report when you've had enuf time with the MK4. From your initial post, I'm guessing that you like what you're hearing. BTW, does it look like the earlier models? Any differences in the surface appearance? The internal layout?

Unless you have low impedance headphones that you use regularly I would recommend leaving out the mod to the MKIV. I still use my MKII to drive my HD650 very nicely. I have suggested a dip switch to select gain and headphone impedance. I hope it can be added. Would make life easier for many of us, The MKII with HD650 and volume control at about 2/3rd level is frighteningly loud. The MKIV is far lower.

May 1, 2007 at 11:44 AM Post #122 of 273
Quote:

Originally Posted by penguindude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did I foresee a Queen's mini meet sometime in September?!
eggosmile.gif

Sounds like a cool idea. There should be post about it in the Meets forums sometime in the summer.

May 1, 2007 at 2:07 PM Post #123 of 273
Quote:

Hey T&C, congratulations! Be sure to pop in a report when you've had enuf time with the MK4. From your initial post, I'm guessing that you like what you're hearing. BTW, does it look like the earlier models? Any differences in the surface appearance? The internal layout?

Haven't opened it up yet but surface appearance is same as MKIII.
I've been busy with other projects and haven't had much time to A/B with SB3 but my initial impressions are favorable. Vocals(especially female) have definitely smoothed out. Not sure about detail yet - will have to do more extensive comparing. Bass is deep enough through my amp but could be a little bit tighter. This could be an interconnect (BJC LC-1) issue though - will need to do some experimenting.
I also noticed an improvement with my STB - sounds clearer with less female voice harshness I used to experience on some broadcasts.
I should be opening it up in a few days to do a power cap mod which will, hopefully, tighten up the bass.
Headphones(Grado 60) sounded good straight out - no hiss, hum, etc as was reported with MKIII
Will keep you posted.
I had originally planned on getting a Paradisea but changed my plans at the last minute($$$). I would like to be able to do an A/B between the two.
BTW - As others have stated - communications with Stanley and customer service are top notch.

May 1, 2007 at 6:31 PM Post #125 of 273
Quote:

Originally Posted by Herandu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unless you have low impedance headphones that you use regularly I would recommend leaving out the mod to the MKIV. I still use my MKII to drive my HD650 very nicely. I have suggested a dip switch to select gain and headphone impedance. I hope it can be added. Would make life easier for many of us, The MKII with HD650 and volume control at about 2/3rd level is frighteningly loud. The MKIV is far lower.

Herandu, am I correct in assuming, then, that the hiss persists in MK4? As you say, tho, this is not an issue unless one uses low-imp hps.

Did you have a chance to mention these possible changes, especially a switch for hp impedance, when you got together with Stanley? BTW, I thot it was really cool for you to actually get together with him. You actually got to see his "lab" or whatever it is that he works out of? Prototypes, old and in-progress schematics, etc.?

EDIT: Sorry for the misread. I see that you did make these suggestions to Stanley.

May 1, 2007 at 6:37 PM Post #126 of 273
Quote:

Originally Posted by Turn&cough /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haven't opened it up yet but surface appearance is same as MKIII.
I've been busy with other projects and haven't had much time to A/B with SB3 but my initial impressions are favorable. Vocals(especially female) have definitely smoothed out. Not sure about detail yet - will have to do more extensive comparing. Bass is deep enough through my amp but could be a little bit tighter. This could be an interconnect (BJC LC-1) issue though - will need to do some experimenting.
I also noticed an improvement with my STB - sounds clearer with less female voice harshness I used to experience on some broadcasts.
I should be opening it up in a few days to do a power cap mod which will, hopefully, tighten up the bass.
Headphones(Grado 60) sounded good straight out - no hiss, hum, etc as was reported with MKIII
Will keep you posted.
I had originally planned on getting a Paradisea but changed my plans at the last minute($$$). I would like to be able to do an A/B between the two.
BTW - As others have stated - communications with Stanley and customer service are top notch.

Thanx for the update, T&C. I'm not familiar with the Paradisea so I can't comment on it, but I, too, chose the Stanley instead of another DAC (in my case, Benchmark's Dac1) because of $$$. We'd be interested in hearing if the Stanley improves with burn-in.

May 1, 2007 at 8:33 PM Post #127 of 273
Quote:

Herandu, am I correct in assuming, then, that the hiss persists in MK4? As you say, tho, this is not an issue unless one uses low-imp hps.

The hiss has vanished in the MKIV. But SPL has in turn been reduced. On my 32 ohms Denon HP1000 (great eardrum damaging set by the way with its 3.5W handling
basshead.gif
) that drop is not an issue. On my HD650 the higher output from the MKIII is more to my taste for those cans. Mind you, the SPL on the MKIV is still loud enough to deliver permanent hearing damage if used for an extended period! Everything is relative. Hopefully the switches can become a reality, or an easy way for modders to change the output level. I understand the head amp uses an IC in each channel that can produce 700mW. It was used to full effect on the MKI. Noisy as hell on low impedance cans, but boy, I never managed to go beyond midpoint on the volume knob. Scary... To think the MKIV can be reversed engineered to reproduce that MKI output makes me want to get a K701.

May 1, 2007 at 9:19 PM Post #128 of 273
Just spent a few hours listening to the MKIV on my speaker system.
I don't know if it's burn in or if I'm just in a more relaxed mood today but it all seems to be coming together really well. Bass, detail, vocals all sound great. Money well spent.

May 1, 2007 at 9:49 PM Post #129 of 273
Quote:

Originally Posted by Turn&cough /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just spent a few hours listening to the MKIV on my speaker system.
I don't know if it's burn in or if I'm just in a more relaxed mood today but it all seems to be coming together really well. Bass, detail, vocals all sound great. Money well spent.

My MkIV was pretty rough at the first few hours. I've had it burned over night, and it opened up nicely, very smooth.

May 2, 2007 at 3:29 AM Post #130 of 273
Can anyone compare this to the EMU 0404 PCI?

May 2, 2007 at 6:08 AM Post #132 of 273
May 2, 2007 at 6:42 AM Post #133 of 273
I had MicroStack twice so I know it pretty well. The MicroDAC sounds congested, compressed, and 2D while MKIII has more air between notes, little laid back (natural sounding), and 3D sounding. I much prefer the (power cap modded) MKIII than MicroDAC.

Quote:

Originally Posted by needanamp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How does the MKIII compare with the Headroom Micro DAC?

May 2, 2007 at 6:46 AM Post #134 of 273
Quote:

Originally Posted by soloz2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wasn't impressed at all with my MKIII when I first got it... it took a few days to settle in

it has been mentioned many times before that the TC-7510 needs a burn in of at least a week.

May 2, 2007 at 11:48 AM Post #135 of 273
I have just purchased a Beresford Mk4, will post results when I get it (can only compare to EMU 0404).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back