REVIEW: Audiotailor “Jade” Vacuum Tube Headphone Amplifier
Apr 11, 2010 at 4:05 PM Post #842 of 977
Alps 27mm US$15 + Infinite cap (US$40) + neutrik Jack. - US$12 , Tube sockets US$10

Balance cable for Audiotailor Headphone amplifiers with 50% discount. US$60 x 0.5 = US$30

Apr 11, 2010 at 4:48 PM Post #843 of 977
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hz_joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Alps 27mm US$15 + Infinite cap (US$40) + neutrik Jack. - US$12 , Tube sockets US$10

Balance cable for Audiotailor Headphone amplifiers with 50% discount. US$60 x 0.5 = US$30

Ok Joe,
I buy the full upgraded version Audiotailor Jade + balanced cable for HD650.
Send me overall cost including shipping cost for Italy and Paypal charge, and your paypal address.
Thanks, Cosimo.

Apr 20, 2010 at 3:39 AM Post #844 of 977
@ Hz_joe,

Is it OK if I listen using both output at the same time ? I sometime listen to music with my brother and being able to use both simultaneously would be very practical. I would use it with a 32ohm headphone in one and 250ohm in the other. thanks

Apr 20, 2010 at 4:51 AM Post #845 of 977
Quote:

Originally Posted by LIos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@ Hz_joe,

Is it OK if I listen using both output at the same time ? I sometime listen to music with my brother and being able to use both simultaneously would be very practical. I would use it with a 32ohm headphone in one and 250ohm in the other. thanks

Yes ! Jade can use 2 Headphone at same time & not much difference in sound Level if sensitive of Headphone not much difference. (Even 1 low impedance & 1 high impedance.) Jade has lower gain in low impedance. Higher gain in high impedance.

Apr 20, 2010 at 9:06 PM Post #846 of 977
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hz_joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It will have 2 version. 1 is full headphone amplifier. 1 is with pre-amp out & 3 Input.

I would be very interested to see more details about this A3 amp; in particular the pre-amp version. Will it still support the balanced HD650 setup as well?

Thanks.

May 8, 2010 at 2:43 PM Post #847 of 977
Hi, I'm Cosimo, a new user of the beautiful Audiotailor Jade.
First sorry for my bad English.

I would replace the stock components with other better quality.

For resistors I thought PRP PR9372 metal films for 1/2watt and RIKEN Carbon Film for 2watt. Any suggestions for PSU resistors (R34 = 100R R35 = 220K), MILLS MRA-5 there is not value 220K?

For electrolytic caps which can i use better quality caps for PSU, headphone output caps (C7, C8 = 100uF 160V C18, C19 = 1000uf 35v), high voltage caps (C9, C11)?

Can I put to 12AX7 Cathode Bypass Cap (C1, C2) to Improve sound quality and what value?

Can parallel to the small value film cap with e-caps headphone output to Improve sound quality and what value?

Which is better value for output coupling caps (C5, C6) 0.1 uf or .22 uf.

Thank you.

May 24, 2010 at 11:32 PM Post #848 of 977
I forget, does that balanced cable work for the HD600, or just the HD650?

Also, I still can't quite comprehend how, if both jacks are different sounding when used with a single-ended connection - how is it that if you use both at once for a balanced connection that you don't end up with one side of your headphones sounding different than the other???

Oh, I guess it is also worth asking if the Jade amp is still for sale, and also has anyone heard any details yet for the A3 mentioned earlier this year?

- thanks.

May 25, 2010 at 12:20 AM Post #849 of 977

Yes the balance cable works for HD600 as well

Quote:
I forget, does that balanced cable work for the HD600, or just the HD650?

Also, I still can't quite comprehend how, if both jacks are different sounding when used with a single-ended connection - how is it that if you use both at once for a balanced connection that you don't end up with one side of your headphones sounding different than the other???

Oh, I guess it is also worth asking if the Jade amp is still for sale, and also has anyone heard any details yet for the A3 mentioned earlier this year?

- thanks.

May 26, 2010 at 12:48 AM Post #850 of 977
runswithaliens:
To add to pekingduck's response... the balanced cable does open the soundstage and adds separation of the instruments. In this respect you'll find that with a single ended cable the soundstage seems narrower than with the balanced cables. The sound also becomes less tube like. Though, not in a bad way. The sound is still decently smooth compared to the single. But balanced adds clarity to the full range (top to bottom). There are times when I switch back to listening with a single ended cable. Oddly those are the days when I just want to listen to a smoother/subdued sound, that the single ended cable provides.

At one point I had thought that the right channel was sounding a touch more sparkly than the left. But now it doesn't appear so. Sometimes I do find myself repositioning my headphones (HD650) because I'm sensing some imbalance. Not a great annoyance and may just be due to the increased soundstage. In the beginning I discovered that the balanced cables I'd ordered had been wired backwards on the left channel cable (reversed polarity). So when I plug the left channel into my headphones I have to make sure and orient the "L" on the headphone plug inwards, towards my noggin'. Unlike the right side, of which the "R" faces outward.

I've swapped out the Infinity caps upgrade for some Ampohm caps. I found the Infinity's were a smidgen too laid back at the high end. I perceived it like a high-end roll off (though I do listen with HD650's which some say, or have said were rolled off or dark sounding, personally I don't think so). I experimented with bypassing the Infinity's with some Russian teflons. Argh... big mistake. They certainly brought sparkle and bass bloom, but they really messed up the nice mid-range detail the Infinity's had. Bad caps... bad bypass caps. The Ampohms, on the other hand, turned out to be a real cure for the high end roll off. Wonderful, wonderful mid-range clarity and texture with a bit more high-end reach. When I first installed the Ampohms they were bright and brittle... let's say they had a transistor radio type high-end (well that may be a slight exaggeration). I thought "Oh crap, another stupid mistake". After about a half hour the brightness was gone and they've since mellowed a lot more and just work lovely in the Jade... at least I like 'em. I love their reproduction of the mid-range. Not as tubey as the Infinity's but more balance overall.

May 27, 2010 at 10:28 PM Post #852 of 977
been listening to mine for over 2 months now, from a audigy2 zs and with the stock tubes. Even with those less than ideal factor, I find it sounds absolutely awesome. I installed the cage at first, but i removed it after a few days. I find it looks better without it. The cage that came with mine is silver instead of black, it looks like it is not made to go with that amp. Like its a very different style. Similar to wearing bright yellow socks with a clean black tux and black shoes...yeah i'm not very good with analogies :/

May 28, 2010 at 1:23 AM Post #853 of 977

Quote:
runswithaliens:
To add to pekingduck's response... the balanced cable does open the soundstage and adds separation of the instruments. In this respect you'll find that with a single ended cable the soundstage seems narrower than with the balanced cables. The sound also becomes less tube like. Though, not in a bad way. The sound is still decently smooth compared to the single. But balanced adds clarity to the full range (top to bottom). There are times when I switch back to listening with a single ended cable. Oddly those are the days when I just want to listen to a smoother/subdued sound, that the single ended cable provides.

At one point I had thought that the right channel was sounding a touch more sparkly than the left. But now it doesn't appear so. Sometimes I do find myself repositioning my headphones (HD650) because I'm sensing some imbalance. Not a great annoyance and may just be due to the increased soundstage. In the beginning I discovered that the balanced cables I'd ordered had been wired backwards on the left channel cable (reversed polarity). So when I plug the left channel into my headphones I have to make sure and orient the "L" on the headphone plug inwards, towards my noggin'. Unlike the right side, of which the "R" faces outward.

I've swapped out the Infinity caps upgrade for some Ampohm caps. I found the Infinity's were a smidgen too laid back at the high end. I perceived it like a high-end roll off (though I do listen with HD650's which some say, or have said were rolled off or dark sounding, personally I don't think so). I experimented with bypassing the Infinity's with some Russian teflons. Argh... big mistake. They certainly brought sparkle and bass bloom, but they really messed up the nice mid-range detail the Infinity's had. Bad caps... bad bypass caps. The Ampohms, on the other hand, turned out to be a real cure for the high end roll off. Wonderful, wonderful mid-range clarity and texture with a bit more high-end reach. When I first installed the Ampohms they were bright and brittle... let's say they had a transistor radio type high-end (well that may be a slight exaggeration). I thought "Oh crap, another stupid mistake". After about a half hour the brightness was gone and they've since mellowed a lot more and just work lovely in the Jade... at least I like 'em. I love their reproduction of the mid-range. Not as tubey as the Infinity's but more balance overall.

Teflon caps take a long time to settle (regardless of manufacturer). How much burn in time did you give them ? The ones I've used took at least 700 hours or more before they started to sound right.

Peete.

May 31, 2010 at 9:58 AM Post #854 of 977
Hey Peete. I have to confess that I'm not a huge believer in letting caps burn in a long time. So I had about 80-90 hours on the Russian Teflons. I originally had them in my Little Dot MKIII, with which they worked very well. I just don't think they pair well with the Infinity caps. The teflons were of 0.1uf value. Perhaps a 0.01uf would pair better? I don't know. But I'm lovin' the Ampohms. Still a slight uneveness in the highs, otherwise they have really good, smooth definition throughout.

Ken

Jun 1, 2010 at 12:37 PM Post #855 of 977
I have had mine now for about 2-3 months and am very happy with it.  It is a perfect combination with my Beyerdynamic  DT-880. 

Have a question for other Jade owners:  I am looking for a closed design headphone so I can listen to the amp when my wife is watching TV - without having to hear what she is watching (American Idol/ Next Top Model/ etc..) Budget is under £200/ $300 for the moment.  I really need the view of a Jade owner as I want a set of headphones that matches the amp (and not the other way around!)

Any suggestions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back