REVIEW: Audiotailor “Jade” Vacuum Tube Headphone Amplifier
Feb 16, 2010 at 4:43 PM Post #826 of 977
After nearly a year of uses, my Jade got a problem recently.

The SS-like (ie. the left side) phone jacks got noise problem, it comes out noise when i rotate the plug of headphone. It seems being the contact problem. Can anyone give the clue to solve it??

As it is heavy, i dun want to send it to Joe, unless it is necessary.

Feb 17, 2010 at 12:10 PM Post #827 of 977
Yeah, sounds like the jack is maybe a little loose or dirty and is not making good contact with the plug. You could try cleaning the plug and the jack with a little rubbing alcohol on a cotton ball or q-tip for the inside of the jack. Other than that, might not be much you can do without replacing the jack - which is not terribly hard to do, but would require a little soldering.

Edit: if you can't do it yourself, you could maybe take it to some local electronics place, it should be an easy repair. Possibly faster that way than sending back to Joe...

Feb 17, 2010 at 1:38 PM Post #828 of 977
Quote:

Originally Posted by Didege /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A question about the Buggle boy : it's glowing really bright for less than a second when i turn the amp on and than reduce to "normal" (witch is not much), is that ok or shows a problem ?

Mine does the same for months now, so I assume its normal.
Must admit, the first time I thought it was going to pop
tongue_smile.gif

Feb 17, 2010 at 2:46 PM Post #829 of 977
Quote:

A question about the Buggle boy : it's glowing really bright for less than a second when i turn the amp on and than reduce to "normal" (witch is not much), is that ok or shows a problem ?

I have 50+ 12ax7 and 12at7 tubes (and variants) and have a handful that do this. I have only seen it in the European made tubes. I wouldn't worry about it.

Feb 17, 2010 at 3:04 PM Post #830 of 977
Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulyT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, sounds like the jack is maybe a little loose or dirty and is not making good contact with the plug. You could try cleaning the plug and the jack with a little rubbing alcohol on a cotton ball or q-tip for the inside of the jack. Other than that, might not be much you can do without replacing the jack - which is not terribly hard to do, but would require a little soldering.

Edit: if you can't do it yourself, you could maybe take it to some local electronics place, it should be an easy repair. Possibly faster that way than sending back to Joe...

Thanks Paul, I'll try to fix it then. If it is not ok, i think my last step is send back to Joe for a fix.

Feb 20, 2010 at 5:05 PM Post #831 of 977
Quote:

Originally Posted by ecclesand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have 50+ 12ax7 and 12at7 tubes (and variants) and have a handful that do this. I have only seen it in the European made tubes. I wouldn't worry about it.

I've asked my tube reseller and he said that it's indeed normal on tubes "with quick triggering" (à déclenchement rapide)

Mar 27, 2010 at 2:22 AM Post #832 of 977
Just received my Jade! I only have the stock tubes right now and as to be expected the first couple of hours the sounds wasn't great but then it already started opening up and the sound is quite impressive! Can't wait to properly burn it in and put some nice NOS tubes in. Alas I'll be away now until after Easter but will endeavour to put a more detailed review here and in the Jade tube rolling thread in case anyone is interested.

Mar 27, 2010 at 2:14 PM Post #833 of 977
Can't wait to receive mine :/
It has been stuck at the Canadian customs for like 4 days now. So sad when you think it took barely 24h to get from Hong Kong to 500Km away from my home.
I was considering the DT880/600 to go with it in a very near future. Will appreciate getting your opinion pytter on how they work together.

edit: I got it now, very happy about it
darthsmile.gif

Apr 3, 2010 at 3:24 PM Post #834 of 977
Anyone knows how to remove the rotary knob ? there is a little hole on it but i can't figure what I need to insert in it to remove. Not even sure that's the purpose of the little hole. Thanks.

Apr 3, 2010 at 8:57 PM Post #835 of 977
Quote:

Originally Posted by LIos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone knows how to remove the rotary knob ? there is a little hole on it but i can't figure what I need to insert in it to remove. Not even sure that's the purpose of the little hole. Thanks.

Funny yous ask now : i've tried this afternoon !!! But no way : tried with a small screwdriver, with a philips key : all to big.
I wanted to reach this sunshine glowing led to cut it but it's not possible unless dismounting the board ! So this ugly masking strap will remain on the led ...

Apr 4, 2010 at 3:09 AM Post #836 of 977
Quote:

Funny yous ask now : i've tried this afternoon !!! But no way : tried with a small screwdriver, with a philips key : all to big.
I wanted to reach this sunshine glowing led to cut it but it's not possible unless dismounting the board ! So this ugly masking strap will remain on the led ...

It is a 2.5mm Hex Screw.

Apr 5, 2010 at 12:37 PM Post #837 of 977
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hz_joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is a 2.5mm Hex Screw.

Thanks a lot, Joe. I'll try to get one !
I haven't found the R31 resistor, is it under the PCB ? In order to lower the LED, is it a good idea to replace R31 ? if yes witch value would you recommend ?

Apr 8, 2010 at 9:19 PM Post #838 of 977
Quote:

Originally Posted by jfourc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, it's not XLR outputs. You just use both the Yin/Yang output in a balanced 6.35 configuration. At least that's how I understand it.

I know this comment was relating to a HD650 balanced cable - but would a x-splitter have the same effect for my headphones which are not balanced? By x-splitter I mean the opposite of a y-splitter - ie a single (female ) input to two 1/4 inch jacks...

Not that anyone seems to sell these, but should be easy enough to make/ have made.....

Just wondering.......
confused.gif

Apr 9, 2010 at 7:44 AM Post #839 of 977
Quote:

Originally Posted by pytter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know this comment was relating to a HD650 balanced cable - but would a x-splitter have the same effect for my headphones which are not balanced? By x-splitter I mean the opposite of a y-splitter - ie a single (female ) input to two 1/4 inch jacks...

Not that anyone seems to sell these, but should be easy enough to make/ have made.....

Just wondering.......
confused.gif

Unfortunately no. The point of the HD650 cable Joe makes is to drive the left and right headphone driver individually from one jack each. You can think of it as speaker cables and each jack playing the role of a monoblock. There is thus four wires in total, i.e. a lead and return for each driver, while the standard HD650 cable only contains three wires (the left and right leads plus a common return). Unless you add that fourth wire, splitting will not help (Joe's cables also has a "floating" shield, i.e. the shielding is connected on the amp side only).

While I think it has been argued elsewhere that from a very technical view, this is not truly a balanced cable (from what I understand that would require three wires per channel -lead, return, ground, all connected at both ends), it certainly is great for the sound!

How much comes from improved cable quality and how much from connection design is less easy to pick apart though. If you're interested in a lengthy discussion on the merits of balancing, check out Meier Audio and Lavry Engineering for two very contrasting takes on this issue.

Apr 10, 2010 at 2:29 AM Post #840 of 977
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hz_joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is a 2.5mm Hex Screw.

It was 1,5mm on mine , thanks for pointing it was a hex screw though. I have all the sizes on hands.

Btw, not that i'm highly experimented with tube amps, but the Jade is without a doubt rendering the best music I ever heard. Except from a live band
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back