REVIEW: Audiotailor “Jade” Vacuum Tube Headphone Amplifier
Jan 8, 2010 at 9:40 PM Post #796 of 977
Aww man.... and I just spent a ton of $$ (a ton for me anyway) on an EF5/HE5 combo! (which just showed up at my house today!
biggrin.gif
)

In fact that's what I was going to post about, that it seems my Jade has a bit of a hard time driving the HE5 - which have definitely been described as current-hungry. I have to turn up the volume quite a bit more than with my other headphones, as their efficiency is lower even though the impedance isn't that far different from my Denons. And there's some distortion when things get loud and low (e.g. large orchestral works). Guess I could also try 5998+12AX7 instead of what I have now - 6AS7G+5751 - to see if that gives it a bit more oomph.

I've ordered Joe's high/low impedance transformer, hasn't shown up yet... will be interesting to see if it makes any difference.

Jan 9, 2010 at 2:13 AM Post #797 of 977
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hz_joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jade-A3 will be release soon. It is use 12AX7 x 2 as driver tube , 2A3 x 2 as output tube. We had test prototype and has a god result. 2A3 can replace by most of 2A3 , 300B & 45. It will have a switch to select filament voltage.

Awesome! Can the A3 work as a preamp?
bigsmile_face.gif

Jan 9, 2010 at 2:32 AM Post #798 of 977
Quote:

Originally Posted by Didege /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got mine since yesterday. After only 2 ours listening with stock tubes it's already far better than my Citation 25 output ! No hum at all with my MS-1.
As the signal strenghts of both ouputs are quite different, i'm still wondering wich one sounds more tubey
confused_face(1).gif

To be continued...
No problem with customs, no taxation ....
atsmile.gif

Thank you Joe

Glad you got it!
beerchug.gif

Jan 9, 2010 at 2:13 PM Post #799 of 977
Quote:

Originally Posted by pekingduck /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Awesome! Can the A3 work as a preamp?
bigsmile_face.gif

It will have 2 version. 1 is full headphone amplifier. 1 is with pre-amp out & 3 Input.

Jan 11, 2010 at 3:57 PM Post #801 of 977
I received my Jade today with balanced cable for HD 600/650.

I can hear the difference with stock cable using either left or right output. Can someone confirm to me which output (SS/tube) I get from using the balanced cable with both outputs?

Jan 13, 2010 at 6:50 PM Post #802 of 977
Has anyone tried a 5965 tube in the Jade? It has a higher heater current draw than the 12AX7 or 12AT7. I wonder if the Jade's trafo can handle the extra juice. I pm'd Joseph to see what he thinks. I have read that the 5965 has better sonics than the 12AX7 and 12AT7.

Jan 14, 2010 at 9:06 PM Post #803 of 977
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hz_joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jade-A3 will be release soon. It is use 12AX7 x 2 as driver tube , 2A3 x 2 as output tube. We had test prototype and has a god result. 2A3 can replace by most of 2A3 , 300B & 45. It will have a switch to select filament voltage.

Is the Jade A3 going to be a higher end version of the current Jade?

Jan 17, 2010 at 1:53 AM Post #804 of 977
Quote:

Originally Posted by joonas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I received my Jade today with balanced cable for HD 600/650.

I can hear the difference with stock cable using either left or right output. Can someone confirm to me which output (SS/tube) I get from using the balanced cable with both outputs?

I think it's the tube output.

Jan 17, 2010 at 2:38 AM Post #805 of 977
I've been listening to Jade + JVC DX1000 for the past 5 days and I am thoroughly impressed! With the tube output the imaging, soundstage and (deep) bass are nothing short of stunning.

The SS output sounds a little bit too polite.

Highly recommended!
icon10.gif
(both the phones and the amp
wink.gif
)

Jan 17, 2010 at 5:29 AM Post #806 of 977
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hygienist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is the Jade A3 going to be a higher end version of the current Jade?

Jade-A3 use same topology as Jade but use difference output tubes only. It is not upgrade but use difference tube to have difference sound signature only. Jade - 6AS7/6080 low impedance drive capacity is better than Jade-A3. Jade-A3 have magic of direct heat tube.

Jan 19, 2010 at 1:39 AM Post #807 of 977
I'm sure other folks have probably already done this, but today I replaced the stock film caps in my Jade with some Multicap RTX (polystyrene film/tin foil) and yowza! After about 6 hours of burn in I am hearing improved detail and a more 3D soundstage. Does anyone else have any impressions with different caps in the Jade?

Hmmm....I wonder if replacing the electrolytic caps would yield any improvements?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 19, 2010 at 2:37 AM Post #808 of 977
Quote:

Originally Posted by ecclesand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sure other folks have probably already done this, but today I replaced the stock film caps in my Jade with some Multicap RTX (polystyrene film/tin foil) and yowza! After about 6 hours of burn in I am hearing improved detail and a more 3D soundstage. Does anyone else have any impressions with different caps in the Jade?

Hmmm....I wonder if replacing the electrolytic caps would yield any improvements?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sure ! Replace better electrolytic caps can improve to much better. Jade still can dig deeper to have better sound. You can parallel a small value film cap with e-cap to improve sound quality.

Jan 19, 2010 at 2:51 AM Post #809 of 977
Quote:

Originally Posted by ecclesand /img/forum/go_quote.gif

very_evil_smiley.gif

Any tips for a noob interested in doing this?

Jan 19, 2010 at 11:09 PM Post #810 of 977
Quote:

Originally Posted by pekingduck /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been listening to Jade + JVC DX1000 for the past 5 days and I am thoroughly impressed! With the tube output the imaging, soundstage and (deep) bass are nothing short of stunning.

The SS output sounds a little bit too polite.

Highly recommended!
icon10.gif
(both the phones and the amp
wink.gif
)

Thanks a lot for the early impressions, please keep us updated!
My interest for the DX1000 has cooled off a bit but only because I blissfully enjoy my HD650 with the Jade (currently settled on pseudo-balanced with Chatham and Siemens ECC801S). DX1000 is likely my next purchase but there's no urgency anymore
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back