REVIEW: Audiotailor “Jade” Vacuum Tube Headphone Amplifier
Sep 27, 2009 at 3:32 PM Post #571 of 975
It has no trouble with my HD650's. Sounding very sweet.

Sep 27, 2009 at 8:20 PM Post #572 of 975
BigTony:

Looking forward to hearing your opinion on the balanced cable. Are you currently using the HD650 stock cable?

I was thinking about trying the balanced cable as well. Not sure if I should expect an improvement compared the Blue Dragon cable Im currently using.

Sep 27, 2009 at 10:07 PM Post #573 of 975
I don't know much about electronics so correct me if I'm wrong, but this is remarkably "clean" work, isn't it?

vMmZwMg

Although I could take some of the screws not overlapping each other.

I'm also amazed at the apparent simplicity of the design - simple is good!
biggrin.gif
The PCB even says "Jade" on it - you must have these custom made just for your amps - is that usual? Like I said, I don't know electronics, but it just seems to scream "quality."
smily_headphones1.gif

Btw, do those black covers in back come off? It would be kind of cool to be able to show the heatsinks (if that's in fact what's under there), like in the mini millet.

Mini_Millet_Glow.JPG

Sep 27, 2009 at 10:12 PM Post #574 of 975
The two black covers on the back have ugly transformers/chokes underneath - nothing pretty/sexy like that millet. Yeah, the build quality of these seems fine (I'm not an e.e. but I've done a number of projects using custom circuit boards, soldering on the components myself), obviously hand-soldered but that's probably better than machine anyway given the unreliability of machine solder joints. The inside of the Jade is pretty spacious, though, so that makes it easier to keep things tidy.

Sep 27, 2009 at 10:19 PM Post #575 of 975
Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulyT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The two black covers on the back have ugly transformers/chokes underneath - nothing pretty/sexy like that millet.

Oh, too bad - still, it looks pretty sexy, and even better with that bad@ss cage!
biggrin.gif

Sep 27, 2009 at 10:37 PM Post #577 of 975
Quote:

Originally Posted by driftingbunnies /img/forum/go_quote.gif
userlander- did you order any upgrades with your jade or did you just get the stock version?

Just stock. Upgradeable power cord comes standard now, right? And Neutrik jacks, or is that an upgrade? Is there a list of the current available upgrades anywhere?

Sep 28, 2009 at 1:16 AM Post #579 of 975
It's in here, you just gotta dig (ya, it's a long thread). See post #478.

Edit: If there's something you want not listed, Joe'll probably be able to do it for you on a one-by-one basis... seems that's kind of his niche, being able to tailor it to suit - hence the name.

Sep 28, 2009 at 1:23 AM Post #580 of 975
Quote:

It's in here, you just gotta dig (ya, it's a long thread). See post #478.

Edit: If there's something you want not listed, Joe'll probably be able to do it for you on a one-by-one basis... seems that's kind of his niche, being able to tailor it to suit - hence the name.

Alps volume control looks like a good option - those aren't the ones with "clicks" are they? I think I read some reports here of the stock volume pots being a little scratchy, but maybe that's been fixed since then.

Do all neutrik jacks have that annoying clip like on the Compass? Or can you specify one without that? If it's not too late, I might ask Joe for a couple of these upgrades.

Sep 28, 2009 at 1:31 AM Post #581 of 975
Mine is pure stock, I don't have any problem with the volume pot during regular use. Occasionally I hear a tiny bit of noise if I turn it way up (nothing playing) when the amp is first turned on, but I think that may have more to do with the tubes warming up - not microphonics exactly, but more sensitivity? Not sure. My Chatham tube is *very* microphonic for a couple minutes when it comes on, but this isn't affected by the volume pot - and is much louder than anything from the pot.

Sep 28, 2009 at 1:33 AM Post #582 of 975
So if I were to get all the upgrades it would be 395 after paypal. Do any of the upgrades greatly affect the sound? It seems to me that some of the stuff is just for bragging rights and doesn't really do anything except maybe making your life a little easier like the RCA inputs.

Sep 28, 2009 at 1:38 AM Post #583 of 975
I'm pretty much of the same opinion - that few of these would change anything. The coupling caps, maybe, since that's an important electronic component in the direct path of the signal before it's amplified. But I'm not a believer in fancy jacks, cables, etc. And who cares if the volume pot occasionally makes a tiny noise? Not like you're sitting there twirling it about while listening...

Sep 28, 2009 at 1:47 AM Post #584 of 975
Quote:

I'm pretty much of the same opinion - that few of these would change anything. The coupling caps, maybe, since that's an important electronic component in the direct path of the signal before it's amplified. But I'm not a believer in fancy jacks, cables, etc. And who cares if the volume pot occasionally makes a tiny noise? Not like you're sitting there twirling it about while listening...

Makes sense. I guess I'll stick with stock, too. Maybe too many "upgrades" would affect the Jade "magic" anyway. :p

Sep 28, 2009 at 2:04 AM Post #585 of 975
Upgrade parts :

neutrik black Jack. - US$12
Coupling Cap : Infinite US$40
Alps 27mm Volumn : US$15
Composite teflon sockets US$10 (Blue color)
RCA Input - 2 Set (no 3.5mm Input jack) - US$5
Balance cable for HD600 - US$30
Balance Cable for K702US$35

not sure if prices have changed though, this was in august

Users who are viewing this thread

Back