REVIEW: Audiotailor “Jade” Vacuum Tube Headphone Amplifier
Sep 26, 2009 at 12:49 PM Post #556 of 975
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigTony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First impression: much bigger than it looks in the pictures, bigger than my DV332 (and I thought that was a big amp) - and the 6AS7G is a monster - its a headphone amp not a nuclear power station!

What exactly are the dimensions of this amp? HxWxD isn't listed on the website. I recall a post somewhere mentioning it was around 10" high I think, but I can't find it now. Anyone care to do some quick measurements and post the dimensions?
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 26, 2009 at 12:53 PM Post #557 of 975
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mofferino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
userlander:

I'm sure they sound great with the Jade - IF - you already like the sound signature of those exact phones. Personally I hate the DT800 and swapped them with a pair of HD650 some time ago. The Jade is awesome and if you pair it with phones you already like, then I'm sure you're gonna be alright
smily_headphones1.gif

I see - thanks for clarifying. From the way it was worded, it seemed like you were saying all the other phones sounded great with it, but the 880/250s didn't for some reason. If it's just a personal preference thing, I shouldn't have a problem since I really like the 880/250s (and think I would probably like the 880/600s even more), and don't particularly like senns. :p

Sep 26, 2009 at 1:04 PM Post #558 of 975
Sure, with the tube cage on, it's about 8.5" high, 11" deep counting volume knob and rear jacks, 7.5" wide. And weighs roughly 10 lbs.

There is a Jade tube rolling thread... mostly my own experiences, but some others have chimed in. I would stick with 6AS7G/5998 and 12AX7/5751, but I'm not so familiar with other near variants of these to know if there are others that would work.

Sep 26, 2009 at 1:29 PM Post #559 of 975
Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulyT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sure, with the tube cage on, it's about 8.5" high, 11" deep counting volume knob and rear jacks, 7.5" wide. And weighs roughly 10 lbs.

omg - that's a monster.
eek.gif
I don't know if I would have room for it in my listening space.

If someone can assure me it would definitely sound leagues better than something like a LD Mk III/IV, Millet mini, DV336, etc. I might just try to accommodate it somehow, but otherwise I might have to go with one of these physically smaller amps.
frown.gif

Sep 26, 2009 at 1:32 PM Post #560 of 975
It's really only very marginally bigger than a DV 336SE, and definitely does sound better, and especially with lower impedance headphones.

Sep 26, 2009 at 1:49 PM Post #561 of 975
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's really only very marginally bigger than a DV 336SE, and definitely does sound better, and especially with lower impedance headphones.

Oh really - DV is fairly large also, huh? Just from the various web pics I was under the impression it was something more like around 4" wide (which believe it or not makes a big difference over 7.5"!) and just generally smaller. I probably would have chosen Jade over DV anyway just on price/performance reasons, but the LD and Millet mini are *definitely* more user friendly in this space, and very tempting because of that.

Joe, you've got to work on some smaller enclosures!
biggrin.gif

Sep 26, 2009 at 1:52 PM Post #562 of 975
Boy you'd be in trouble with most of the tube amps I use then
biggrin.gif
- I consider the 336 and Jade to be "mini-amps"!

Sep 26, 2009 at 2:38 PM Post #563 of 975
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Boy you'd be in trouble with most of the tube amps I use then
biggrin.gif
- I consider the 336 and Jade to be "mini-amps"!

heh heh.
wink.gif
I can probably make the Jade work, I was just a little caught off guard at first, not having expected it to be quite that size. It's going to be hard to pass up for $300 shipped, that's for sure.

Sep 26, 2009 at 4:55 PM Post #565 of 975
Quote:

Originally Posted by userlander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh really - DV is fairly large also, huh? Just from the various web pics I was under the impression it was something more like around 4" wide (which believe it or not makes a big difference over 7.5"!) and just generally smaller. I probably would have chosen Jade over DV anyway just on price/performance reasons, but the LD and Millet mini are *definitely* more user friendly in this space, and very tempting because of that.

Joe, you've got to work on some smaller enclosures!
biggrin.gif

It is hard to reduce size due to transformers & tube size. May be can build a new model with double desk !

Sep 27, 2009 at 7:29 AM Post #567 of 975
Just thought I'd add my random thoughts while I hunt down some NOS tubes (got my hands on some Sylvania 5751's and Chatham 6AS7G's and Mullard 12AX7's) - after leaving the amp on for 24 hours and dipping in/out for a few hours with my HD650's in SE mode.
Soundstage is still a little cramped, but the detail level is very high, I played the MFSL Equinox last night (one of my favourite critical listening CD's) and it was beginning to sound very nice, nice bass, not bloated. Only using the right-hand output (tubey) and I will go balanced mode today.
I'm hoping that some better tubes in there will open the soundstage up, and possible more time warming these tubes in too. Still, a very decent amp, enjoying mysef atm - which is what its all about.

Sep 27, 2009 at 1:05 PM Post #568 of 975
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigTony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just thought I'd add my random thoughts while I hunt down some NOS tubes (got my hands on some Sylvania 5751's and Chatham 6AS7G's and Mullard 12AX7's) - after leaving the amp on for 24 hours and dipping in/out for a few hours with my HD650's in SE mode.
Soundstage is still a little cramped, but the detail level is very high, I played the MFSL Equinox last night (one of my favourite critical listening CD's) and it was beginning to sound very nice, nice bass, not bloated. Only using the right-hand output (tubey) and I will go balanced mode today.
I'm hoping that some better tubes in there will open the soundstage up, and possible more time warming these tubes in too. Still, a very decent amp, enjoying mysef atm - which is what its all about.

Have people found that this amp requires a lot of "burn in?" It seems like it would need relatively little, compared to something like a Compass, for example.

Just ordered mine -- now off to find some tubes.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 27, 2009 at 3:25 PM Post #569 of 975
Sorry if this has already been answered in the thread, but i'm curious to know how effectively the jade can drive high impedance/low sensitivity cans (hd650/k701).i'm interested in the jade, but only if it has enough power push my hardest cans.

Sep 27, 2009 at 3:30 PM Post #570 of 975
Actually, the lower the impedance the more current the amp needs to generate... so generally high impedance are easier to drive, I think, at least for tube amps, not sure if the same applies to ss. And K701 @ 62ohm is not exactly high impedance, though higher than some.

Anyway I used K701s with the Jade for many months (until my recent switch to D5000), and it handled it great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back