REVIEW: Audiotailor “Jade” Vacuum Tube Headphone Amplifier
Sep 20, 2009 at 1:00 PM Post #542 of 975
Tubes in good shape should last thousands of hours. The cost is highly variable, anywhere from $20-$100, sometimes more for the really rare ones, and whether they're NOS (new old stock - unused) or used.

Sep 21, 2009 at 12:05 AM Post #543 of 975
HD650 is amazing with the Jade. Replaced my DT880 with them some time ago and haven't been able to turn off the Jade since
wink.gif
I can only imagine how great a pair of HD800 must sound.

Jade.love!

Sep 21, 2009 at 3:18 AM Post #544 of 975
Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulyT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, I've been listening to my Jade a lot the past few days with some Denon D5000s (markl-modded). I was initially a little worried about how these 'phones would do with this amp based on some of Skylab's comments in his initial review. Well, not trying to be contradictory by any means, but I don't think this is a problem. The Jade + D5000 combo is really really nice - in fact these will be replacing my beloved K701s, but that's another story...
wink.gif

Glad to hear this amp works so well with the MD5000s. I love my MarkL headphones and I am thinking of ordering this amp for them. Joe has quoted me a reasonable price ($27) for adding a remote control to the Jade, which actually requires a slightly larger chassis. It is hard to find a headphone amp with remote control especially in this price range. I listen from across the room and the music on my computer used as a server varies a lot in volume, so a remote is almost a necessity.

Sep 26, 2009 at 2:41 AM Post #546 of 975
I think I'm really interested in this amp - how do you order one? Just email sales@audiotailor.com? For $300 shipped it seems like a no-brainer compared to DV336.

One question - haven't read the whole thread yet - how does this amp do with low impedance cans like grado/alessandro?

Sep 26, 2009 at 3:16 AM Post #548 of 975
Quote:

Originally Posted by userlander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how does this amp do with low impedance cans like grado/alessandro?

Read post #531, a few pages back.
tongue.gif

Sep 26, 2009 at 3:18 AM Post #549 of 975
Quote:

Originally Posted by driftingbunnies /img/forum/go_quote.gif
from what I recall they do pretty well with low impedance.

Reading through more of the thread now... yes, supposedly they do okay with grados (and presumably alessandros).

I just emailed them though and it bounced with a fatal error from "mx1.vizztech.com." But I also got an auto message from audiotailor.com saying they would contact w/in 24-hrs. So did it go through, or not?
confused.gif

Sep 26, 2009 at 3:47 AM Post #551 of 975
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mofferino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thinking about celebrating Christmas early this year with a pair of either DT880/600, DT900/600 or HD650. All three apparently goes well with the Jade. God knows DT800/250 doesn't.

Okay, up to p.27 and I see this about the DT880/250, which is what I'm intending to buy the Jade for initially. It seems counterintuitive to me that the 250 ohm 880s would sound bad with this amp. Anyone care to comment? Is it true that there's just no synergy with those phones for some reason?

Sep 26, 2009 at 4:12 AM Post #552 of 975
userlander:

I'm sure they sound great with the Jade - IF - you already like the sound signature of those exact phones. Personally I hate the DT800 and swapped them with a pair of HD650 some time ago. The Jade is awesome and if you pair it with phones you already like, then I'm sure you're gonna be alright
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 26, 2009 at 7:09 AM Post #553 of 975
Well after first reading this thread I was intrigued, a '2-for-1' headamp sounded too good to be true. As the thread gathered pace there were a bunch of minor problems, and as I wasn't planning to replace my DV332 I kept a watching brief. I had set my heart of the DV337, but there was just going to be no way I could accomodate that amp in my setup - no room.

One thing that had always kept my interest was the 'you can run this amp in balanced mode' i.e. the ability to feed your cans from the cathode to the anode, rather than either or. Having the HD650, and the cable costing just $30 if bought with the Jade I was left wondering.

Fast forward to 'hummmmm' that was a big no-no for me, I get annoyed with the ticking of a clock, so humm-free was a dead cert. Then came news of a fix, an upgraded PCB, and a drop in price ($340 for Jade + HD650 cable, inc. shipping to the UK) and all of a sudden I was looking at my paypal account and I noticed that all the gear I'd been selling off had left me with a nice little balance that I could convert to a Jade.

So, I e-mailed Joe on Sunday, got a reply on Sunday, paid for the amp on Monday am, collected it yesterday (4 days HK-UK - a new record).

First impression: much bigger than it looks in the pictures, bigger than my DV332 (and I thought that was a big amp) - and the 6AS7G is a monster - its a headphone amp not a nuclear power station! Atm its playing away to my DT770 cans while I let it settle into its new home. Sonic wise, it seems a little drier than the DV332, less bass, maybe even more 'solid-state' but then its only been on for a few hours, and I've not really had a long listen.

Good points : NO HUMMMMM, no hiss, no crackles, nada.. totally silent - which is very nice, tubes can have a tendency to humm and the like, but this is silent. Its a very nice looking amp too, better looking than the DV. I also prefer the on/off at the back of the amp. The HD650 balanced cable looks tidy and well made, not had chance to plug it in yet, thought I'd let the amp warm-up first.

Bad points: The manual.. not terribly helpful.

So a few question to the early adopters:

Balanced mode - I assume I can run a regular extension cable on each of the leads? I sit about 3m away from my amp, and the cable is too short (if the balanced mode blows my socks off I'll get a cable made to length) so I need something short term (by short term I mean a month - thats usually how long it takes me to decide if I like something or not).

Tubes: What are good tube rolling options? If read that the GEC 6AS7G and Sylvania 5751 are a good start, but my current searches seem to bring up a mountain fo Svetlana 6AS7G tubes for Russia (being in europe these are cheap to pick-up), more esoteric are the JAN Raytheon 6080WB (and more expensive), as well as RCA and Rohre brands - as these tubes are quite large there not so easy to hide away, so my options are more limited on numbers. For 5751 i've only Phillips and GE, no Sylvania, but as the 12AX7 there are the usual suspects (I have some Electro Harmonix from my guitar amp!) as well as Sovteck, Tung-Sol (Gold pin). I also have some 5771 Electro Harmonix - Low Gain - are they suitable for this amp? And would I be correct in assuming that the 5751 is the low gain variant of the 12AX7 tube?

There are two sets of RCA's on the rear, and a switch. Does that mean 2 sets of inputs? or 1 input 1 pass through, or 1 input and 1 preamp out. The switch seltcts... ... like I said the manual is not quite up-to-date.

I realise that this post has evolved... but any help will be greatfully recieved.

And I'd like to add that Joe from Audiotailor has been very reponsive to my e-mails, been a great buying experience.

Tony

Sep 26, 2009 at 8:56 AM Post #554 of 975
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigTony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well after first reading this thread I was intrigued, a '2-for-1' headamp sounded too good to be true. As the thread gathered pace there were a bunch of minor problems, and as I wasn't planning to replace my DV332 I kept a watching brief. I had set my heart of the DV337, but there was just going to be no way I could accomodate that amp in my setup - no room.

One thing that had always kept my interest was the 'you can run this amp in balanced mode' i.e. the ability to feed your cans from the cathode to the anode, rather than either or. Having the HD650, and the cable costing just $30 if bought with the Jade I was left wondering.

Fast forward to 'hummmmm' that was a big no-no for me, I get annoyed with the ticking of a clock, so humm-free was a dead cert. Then came news of a fix, an upgraded PCB, and a drop in price ($340 for Jade + HD650 cable, inc. shipping to the UK) and all of a sudden I was looking at my paypal account and I noticed that all the gear I'd been selling off had left me with a nice little balance that I could convert to a Jade.

So, I e-mailed Joe on Sunday, got a reply on Sunday, paid for the amp on Monday am, collected it yesterday (4 days HK-UK - a new record).

First impression: much bigger than it looks in the pictures, bigger than my DV332 (and I thought that was a big amp) - and the 6AS7G is a monster - its a headphone amp not a nuclear power station! Atm its playing away to my DT770 cans while I let it settle into its new home. Sonic wise, it seems a little drier than the DV332, less bass, maybe even more 'solid-state' but then its only been on for a few hours, and I've not really had a long listen.

Good points : NO HUMMMMM, no hiss, no crackles, nada.. totally silent - which is very nice, tubes can have a tendency to humm and the like, but this is silent. Its a very nice looking amp too, better looking than the DV. I also prefer the on/off at the back of the amp. The HD650 balanced cable looks tidy and well made, not had chance to plug it in yet, thought I'd let the amp warm-up first.

Bad points: The manual.. not terribly helpful.

So a few question to the early adopters:

Balanced mode - I assume I can run a regular extension cable on each of the leads? I sit about 3m away from my amp, and the cable is too short (if the balanced mode blows my socks off I'll get a cable made to length) so I need something short term (by short term I mean a month - thats usually how long it takes me to decide if I like something or not).

Tubes: What are good tube rolling options? If read that the GEC 6AS7G and Sylvania 5751 are a good start, but my current searches seem to bring up a mountain fo Svetlana 6AS7G tubes for Russia (being in europe these are cheap to pick-up), more esoteric are the JAN Raytheon 6080WB (and more expensive), as well as RCA and Rohre brands - as these tubes are quite large there not so easy to hide away, so my options are more limited on numbers. For 5751 i've only Phillips and GE, no Sylvania, but as the 12AX7 there are the usual suspects (I have some Electro Harmonix from my guitar amp!) as well as Sovteck, Tung-Sol (Gold pin). I also have some 5771 Electro Harmonix - Low Gain - are they suitable for this amp? And would I be correct in assuming that the 5751 is the low gain variant of the 12AX7 tube?

There are two sets of RCA's on the rear, and a switch. Does that mean 2 sets of inputs? or 1 input 1 pass through, or 1 input and 1 preamp out. The switch seltcts... ... like I said the manual is not quite up-to-date.

I realise that this post has evolved... but any help will be greatfully recieved.

And I'd like to add that Joe from Audiotailor has been very reponsive to my e-mails, been a great buying experience.

Tony

2 Set of RCA in Parallel , Input Line signal from One set of RCA & out from other set of RCA outut to integrated amp or Pre-amp. Switch is select between RCA & 3.5mm Jack.

Sep 26, 2009 at 9:46 AM Post #555 of 975
Quote:

Originally Posted by userlander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Reading through more of the thread now... yes, supposedly they do okay with grados (and presumably alessandros).

I just emailed them though and it bounced with a fatal error from "mx1.vizztech.com." But I also got an auto message from audiotailor.com saying they would contact w/in 24-hrs. So did it go through, or not?
confused.gif

You also can contact me by :

13902625251@139.com

hzasl@21cn.net

Users who are viewing this thread

Back