REVIEW: Audiotailor “Jade” Vacuum Tube Headphone Amplifier
Dec 13, 2013 at 7:39 AM Post #916 of 1,002
New Headphone amp are under developt.  It is upgrade from Jade.
12AX7 x 1 , 6AS7 x 2 , 6AS7 Loading by CCS. Top model will use Reed relay base 42 steps, step attenuator. It is 2db/Steps. Very low pop noise. It may be will release around 2 ~ 3 weeks. Other hybird Jade also will comming soon.

Dec 13, 2013 at 5:09 PM Post #917 of 1,002
Let's hope the new one comes to stay. Reliability, good service and long term commitment are fundamentals to establish a brand.

In the meantime I'm quite happily enjoying my old Audiotailor Jade. First mod entering my mind is the output capacitors. What's the optimum choice, large electrolytic and quick polypropylene? Values?

This is what the board looks like:

Can't read the values of the output caps but the schematic says 100uF I believe. Also note all the squares provided for components not included. Simplification of circuit?

Dec 18, 2013 at 3:37 PM Post #918 of 1,002
Telefunken ECC81: should I break the cellophane seal of this original box and try it out as a driver tube in my Audiotailor Jade?

It may be the perfect combination with the GEC6AS7G.

Or the Tung Sol 5998, which I haven't really tested yet.

Jun 4, 2014 at 1:07 PM Post #920 of 1,002
Whatever happens in the future, I think the original Audiotailor Jade deserves to be called a classic. I've enjoyed it each day for five years, partly through AKG 701s and partly through Sony active speakers. Best audio investment I ever made. It made me rethink my main rig, and go for OTL there also. Joseph Lau should get a prize for this one.

Oct 1, 2014 at 6:44 PM Post #921 of 1,002
don't know if anyone is still following this thread ... posts are few & far between & Joe's new version is nowhere to be found?
however, the original is still very good ... but can be made great with a few easy mods (i've got the antique sound lab version of the jade complete with usb dac).

1) change the coupling caps ... i used multicap rtx & soon to be changed again to clarity mr.
2) change the 1st set of output caps ... i used elna silmic II for the 1000uf electrolytics.
3) change the 2nd set of output caps ... i used dayton film/foil instead of the 100uf electrolytics.

for tubes i am currently using 5751 windmill getter as driver and curved brown base osram 6as7g.
(first photo shows some caps under consideration at the time ...)

Oct 2, 2014 at 2:32 AM Post #922 of 1,002
  don't know if anyone is still following this thread ... posts are few & far between & Joe's new version is nowhere to be found?
however, the original is still very good ... but can be made great with a few easy mods (i've got the antique sound lab version of the jade complete with usb dac).

1) change the coupling caps ... i used multicap rtx & soon to be changed again to clarity mr.
2) change the 1st set of output caps ... i used elna silmic II for the 1000uf electrolytics.
3) change the 2nd set of output caps ... i used dayton film/foil instead of the 100uf electrolytics.

for tubes i am currently using 5751 windmill getter as driver and curved brown base osram 6as7g.
(first photo shows some caps under consideration at the time ...)

Hah! I like that case you've got! 

I occasionally check back on this thread in hopes Joe will have some update information as well.

Oct 5, 2014 at 3:50 PM Post #923 of 1,002
Second that, very cool case!

Currently running my Jade with Audyn Cap Plus as coupling capacitors and very happy with that. Lots of speed and dynamics to go around, especially when driving with Tungsol 7802 and Telefunken 12ax7, a combo that rocks, IMHO...

Also checking the thread from time to time; wondering if Joe's A3 will ever go live, or if he's too caught up in other things, or if that design went "commercial" (as in Antique Soundlab) right away.

Oct 6, 2014 at 3:53 PM Post #924 of 1,002
Some times, your aural impressions outshine previous experiences. That was the case with the Audiotailor Jade balanced output.

I've discovered new "realistic" spatial information in loads of 1960s and 1970s recordings, where ambience and "leaks" are adding to the musical enjoyment. What we call three dimensional reproduction.

Sergio Mendes, Dave Brubeck, Simon and Garfunkel, Bert Kaempfert, Burt Bacharach... they put time and effort in musical arrangements and production in those days - it was expensive to make a hit record!

Headphones like AKG K500 and Sennheiser HD565 that can be had for a bargain used rise to another level with the Audiotailor Jade.

Will send some pics shortly of my latest combinations.

Oct 27, 2014 at 7:09 PM Post #925 of 1,002
thnx elwappo, mla

sorry for the delay in responding ... for some obscure reason i don't get any email alerts from head-fi forums anymore.
some observations concerning my modded asl:  the multicap rtx are great ... best singular option improvement --- however, i seek more & will install clarity mr within the next day or two.   replacing 100uf electrolytic output caps with 100uf dayton film/foil brings unbelievable fullness to the bass and lower-mids ... but i think it is too slow.  i'll try exchanging these for similar solen.  by contrast, the 1000uf electrolytic silmic II will make you think it's solid-state in comparison to the dayton film.

while i'm tempted to replace some of the resistors with vishay bulk foil, i think $ are best spent on the coupling caps & both sets of output caps. i also have my eye on c9 - i'll try to squeeze another big solen film cap there in place of the 22uf electrolytic.

here's a few more pix with the first showing a dummy load which i use for in situ burning of fresh caps (i don't use those tubes for burn-in - i use the original chinese tubes for that task):

Oct 27, 2014 at 7:14 PM Post #926 of 1,002
  Some times, your aural impressions outshine previous experiences. That was the case with the Audiotailor Jade balanced output.

I've discovered new "realistic" spatial information in loads of 1960s and 1970s recordings, where ambience and "leaks" are adding to the musical enjoyment. What we call three dimensional reproduction.

Sergio Mendes, Dave Brubeck, Simon and Garfunkel, Bert Kaempfert, Burt Bacharach... they put time and effort in musical arrangements and production in those days - it was expensive to make a hit record!

Cheap vintage headphones like AKG K500 and Sennheiser HD565 rise to another level with the Audiotailor Jade.

Will send some pics shortly of my latest combinations.

i keep meaning to get on with balanced cabling for my q701, but that is a daunting task for me ... especially trying to punch out the 3-wire mini-jack & substituting a 4-wire job.
however, i'm grateful for your impressions of quasi-balanced - looking forward to trying it out myself ... one of these days.

May 29, 2015 at 4:31 PM Post #927 of 1,002
Tha Audiotailor Jade still gets plenty of head time despite some heavy competition. As is obvious from the last few pages it responds well to tube rolling.

Here's my latest set-up which seems to suit Sennheiser. Had a friend over, an avid AKG fan, but when he listened to the HD600 run balanced on the Audiotailor he  admitted: "This sounds bl***y good!"

A Ken-Rad 6C8G as driver (characteristics similar to 12AY7) and a Raytheon 6F8G as output tube (similar to 6SN7) with suitable adapters available from flea bay. Not as low output impedance as 6AS7G, but driving the Sennheiser very well. Lower amplification factor means volume must be increased, but it is still seldom over 11 o'clock when driven balanced.

Wonder if Joe ever will present the upgraded Jade (see post #916). Sure would be interesting to hear.

May 29, 2015 at 4:35 PM Post #928 of 1,002
  Tha Audiotailor Jade still gets plenty of head time despite some heavy competition. As is obvious from the last few pages it responds well to tube rolling.

Here's my latest set-up which seems to suit Sennheiser. Had a friend over, an avid AKG fan, but when he listened to the HD600 run balanced on the Audiotailor he  admitted: "This sounds bl***y good!"

A Ken-Rad 6C8G as driver (characteristics similar to 12AY7) and a Raytheon 6F8G as output tube (similar to 6SN7) with suitable adapters available from flea bay. Not as low output impedance as 6AS7G, but driving the Sennheiser very well. Lower amplification factor means volume must be increased, but it is still seldom over 11 o'clock when driven balanced.

Wonder if Joe ever will present the upgraded Jade (see post #916). Sure would be interesting to hear.

I was shocked to see this pop up my subcription. If I ever get a chance I would happily grab one of these again. I'm not sure what happened to Joe. That newer unit would have been very interesting.

Apr 9, 2016 at 11:25 AM Post #929 of 1,002
Hi there,

Does anyone have the "manual" for the Jade? I just sold mine but I can't find the the manual and I can't remember of the function of the rear panel switch where the inputs and the power connector is.

I would really appreciate any help!

It works for him now, so I said that don't touch the rear switch in case it would swap between 110V and 240V instead of being an input selector.

Cheers and have a great weekend!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back