Review: ATH-M50 vs. HFI-580 (vs. SR-80)
Feb 14, 2011 at 11:39 PM Post #76 of 151
Bought my sister a pair for her birthday with the ulterior motive of later A/B'ing them with my HFI's =]

Feb 14, 2011 at 11:42 PM Post #77 of 151
Bought my sister a pair for her birthday with the ulterior motive of later A/B'ing them with my HFI's =]

Feb 19, 2011 at 8:26 PM Post #79 of 151

You should get her a nice amp for 'her' Christmas gift. :wink:

Feb 23, 2011 at 4:15 AM Post #80 of 151

Quote:
Quote:

You should get her a nice amp for 'her' Christmas gift.
wink.gif

Haha, not until I've gotten a chance to dabble with mid-fi open phones =]

Feb 26, 2011 at 8:02 PM Post #81 of 151
First of all, thanks for the great review! I've been considering the M50's or the 580's to purchase as my first high-end headphones.

It sounds like I'll be getting a pair of the 580's (DJ1) since I listen to a lot of pop and would like more clarity in the mids and vocals.

Feb 26, 2011 at 10:46 PM Post #82 of 151
HFI-580 love!

Feb 26, 2011 at 11:50 PM Post #83 of 151

Quote:
First of all, thanks for the great review! I've been considering the M50's or the 580's to purchase as my first high-end headphones.

It sounds like I'll be getting a pair of the 580's (DJ1) since I listen to a lot of pop and would like more clarity in the mids and vocals.

I am sure you won't be disappointed with the 580. However, this is just the beginning of a life-long addiction so be prepared to pay
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 27, 2011 at 3:46 AM Post #84 of 151

Quote:
I am sure you won't be disappointed with the 580. However, this is just the beginning of a life-long addiction so be prepared to pay
very_evil_smiley.gif

Umm.. I have been addicted with my cheap $30 gaming headphones that aren't meant for music at all. Yea... addicted to crap sound. I wonder what would happen when I get my ATH-M50s? =]

Feb 28, 2011 at 10:11 AM Post #85 of 151
I got my HFI-580 now and so far I've listened to it several hours.

It sounds like you've described it, Dougeefresh.

Definitely worth the 139 EUR I've paid for it and a good complement to my other headphones.

As I am very sensitive with highs/sibilants, I can tell you that the HFI-580 has good non annoying highs that are more to enjoy than the highs from a Beyerdnamic DT990 Pro for example.

The amount of bass is just right as I will mainly use the HFI-580 for movies and games.
It's very fast and punchy and it does not interfere with the higher frequencies.

Classical music sounds quite nice with the HFI-580, but it's of cause miles and miles away from the quality that comes out of my HD800.

The S-Logic technology seems to be compatible to my ears, while others (in Germany) have reported the HFI-580 sounds like an old telephone compared to the ATH-M50.

Well, I've no M50 to compare the HFI-580 directly to, but the HFI-580 definitely does not have this mentioned telephone sound.

Maybe I'll report more later on.

Feb 28, 2011 at 10:26 AM Post #86 of 151

Quote:
I got my HFI-580 now and so far I've listened to it several hours.

It sounds like you've described it, Dougeefresh.

Definitely worth the 139 EUR I've paid for it and a good complement to my other headphones.

As I am very sensitive with highs/sibilants, I can tell you that the HFI-580 has good non annoying highs that are more to enjoy than the highs from a Beyerdnamic DT990 Pro for example.

The amount of bass is just right as I will mainly use the HFI-580 for movies and games.
It's very fast and punchy and it does not interfere with the higher frequencies.

Classical music sounds quite nice with the HFI-580, but it's of cause miles and miles away from the quality that comes out of my HD800.

The S-Logic technology seems to be compatible to my ears, while others (in Germany) have reported the HFI-580 sounds like an old telephone compared to the ATH-M50.

Well, I've no M50 to compare the HFI-580 directly to, but the HFI-580 definitely does not have this mentioned telephone sound.

Maybe I'll report more later on.

It's definitely not a classical music monster but it will do well all around and especially well with techno/trance/electric. And you don't need to wonder about M50 as they are similar in many ways and you will want one or the other, not both. You guys must have awesome telephones in Germany. If my telephone sounded this good I would talk on it all night long
wink.gif

Mar 3, 2011 at 7:35 PM Post #87 of 151
Another question:

Is the HFI-780 really more detailed than the HFI-580? I think for a closed can of this < 200 USD price range, HFI-580 has a good amount of details. Does the HFI-780 have even more?
Someone on the German Hifi-Forum wrote, that he hardly could tell the difference between the details in both HFI-580 and HFI-780, so he bought the cheaper HFI-580.

Can anyone comment on this?

Mar 3, 2011 at 7:57 PM Post #88 of 151
Well what I keep hearing is that HFI-780 is supposed to be even brighter (HFI-580's upperhighs are actually quite a bit rolled off) and more boosted treble often results in more revealed details but won't necessary sound better but depends on your taste, for me too much brightness and it starts sounding too analytical/unnatural/"thin" as the highs start dominating over mids especially. Why so many people like HFI-580 is probably for that uppermid - midhighs boost that makes it very energetic sounding that leaves a good vocal definition and most instruments but at same time it doesn't have much "hissing"-sounding highs that can be quite painful to listen to. I generally think a slight roll-off of the upper highs is very welcome and a good thing rather than keeping the frequency response curve flat all the way to 16kHz because those frequencies will stick out a bit easier anyway.

Take a look at headphone.com graph and compare to the pro 900 for example:

Mar 3, 2011 at 9:37 PM Post #89 of 151

Quote:
Another question:

Is the HFI-780 really more detailed than the HFI-580? I think for a closed can of this < 200 USD price range, HFI-580 has a good amount of details. Does the HFI-780 have even more?
Someone on the German Hifi-Forum wrote, that he hardly could tell the difference between the details in both HFI-580 and HFI-780, so he bought the cheaper HFI-580.

Can anyone comment on this?

it's the exact same driver BUT it has a micron thin layer of titanium sprayed onto it this gives them an unnatural level of "detail" meaning its not really detail but it's super reveling, I think this would be great for mastering something but not really for music.

Apr 2, 2011 at 6:57 PM Post #90 of 151
The cable on the HFI-580's is straight I believe correct?

Does anyone know how long it is? I know on some headphones it can stretch over 10 feet, and if it's that long I would need to do some soldering.  

I'd appreciate it if someone could tell me how long the cable is thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back