Review: ATH-M50 vs. HFI-580 (vs. SR-80)
Feb 4, 2011 at 10:11 AM Post #61 of 151
Yea sorry about that RPG, I completely forgot to ask you about them >_<

I'm getting bored with the XB500, so I'm looking for something to replace it already. I still haven't seen anything abot the ATH Pro500 or Pro700 yet...

Feb 4, 2011 at 10:44 AM Post #62 of 151
I think I'm going to go with the 580 (DJ1) over the M50 since the term muddy gets thrown around too much with the M50.  If the Ultrasone's have more impact I would imagine that you FEEL it more and would be much more ideal for hard rock and electronic music like house and dub.

Feb 4, 2011 at 11:58 AM Post #64 of 151
Well they don't tell the full story, Sennheiser HD 212 Pro doesn't look particularly bassheavy on it either but they sure are, a lot bassier than M50 for example and not that far away from Sony XB quantity.

Feb 4, 2011 at 12:21 PM Post #65 of 151
The amount of bass between M50 and 580 is similar. I had to listened to them one right after another to hear the difference. Bass quality is a bit more noticeable. It's very difficult to describe the difference using words because I said slightly muddy and people perceive it as being Walmart-quality headphone muddy so I am going to say something that may sound ridiculous although hopefully this will quantify my findings. My subjective difference would be that M50 has about 10% more amount of bass and about 10-15% muddier (depending on what freq it's playing) than 580.

Feb 4, 2011 at 1:39 PM Post #66 of 151

Quote:
The amount of bass between M50 and 580 is similar. I had to listened to them one right after another to hear the difference. Bass quality is a bit more noticeable. It's very difficult to describe the difference using words because I said slightly muddy and people perceive it as being Walmart-quality headphone muddy so I am going to say something that may sound ridiculous although hopefully this will quantify my findings. My subjective difference would be that M50 has about 10% more amount of bass and about 10-15% muddier (depending on what freq it's playing) than 580.

No I understand, I didn't mean muddy in terms of straight bad quality (I don't think others were either), but the M50's I think you're saying have more of that deep tone bass like you'd get from a bass guitar versus the 580's that have a punch like you get from a 4-4 techno beat.  As I said before, that makes the 580's much better for hard rock and electronica because it can keep up with the aggressive bass.  I really doubt either will disappoint anyone looking for a headphone in this price range and understanding that these aren't $300+ cans.

Feb 13, 2011 at 4:02 PM Post #68 of 151
Great review!

I've got a question to all who may know it:

For movies and games would you recommend the HFI580 over the M50 or vice versa?

And if you can/want please say, why you would recommend the one over the other.

A second question:

What about the peak between 3000 Hz and 4000 Hz on the HFI580? Does it matter?

Thank you very much for your answer!

Feb 13, 2011 at 5:06 PM Post #69 of 151

Great review!

I've got a question to all who may know it:

For movies and games would you recommend the HFI580 over the M50 or vice versa?

And if you can/want please say, why you would recommend the one over the other.

A second question:

What about the peak between 3000 Hz and 4000 Hz on the HFI580? Does it matter?

Thank you very much for your answer!

I would say 580 because of more forward mid on it. Most of frequencies you hear in movies (aside occasional explosions and such) fall in mid range and 580 will render them more clearly. 

Feb 13, 2011 at 5:20 PM Post #70 of 151
FWIW, my two best friends just bought headphones.  My roommate is a big fan of rock/metal/deathmetal etc. and so I suggested the M50's.  More 'natural' so I've heard and good instrumental separation, awesome for percussion and bass guitar and things like that.

My other friend is a huge fan of house/trance/triphop and so I recommended the DJ1.  Slightly more 'synthetic' but great for electronica and excellent bass and signature for that type of music.

They both love them.

Quote:
Quote:

No I understand, I didn't mean muddy in terms of straight bad quality (I don't think others were either), but the M50's I think you're saying have more of that deep tone bass like you'd get from a bass guitar versus the 580's that have a punch like you get from a 4-4 techno beat.  As I said before, that makes the 580's much better for hard rock and electronica because it can keep up with the aggressive bass.  I really doubt either will disappoint anyone looking for a headphone in this price range and understanding that these aren't $300+ cans.

Feb 13, 2011 at 9:11 PM Post #71 of 151

Well they don't tell the full story, Sennheiser HD 212 Pro doesn't look particularly bassheavy on it either but they sure are, a lot bassier than M50 for example and not that far away from Sony XB quantity.

Haha, hey wizard. You're everywhere i go. Correct me if I'm wrong but (on top of the fact that charts aren't everything) doesn't this chart/graph show the Senn's as weaker basswise than either the ATH or HFI?

Feb 14, 2011 at 5:07 AM Post #72 of 151
Well it's most important how much elevated lows are compared to the mids and highs, HD212 Pro's highs have quite a dip at 3kHz and 10kHz so that may make them seem bassier but it could be the M50 I had was a fake or damaged in some way (left driver crackled horribly if using a Creative Audigy 1 as source while it didn't if using Audigy 2 ZS, What?) as I bought it 2nd hand lightly used from a guy here in Finland on some forum and usually people don't get rid of this headphone unless there's a good reason. But that M50 in particular had much less bass output than the HD212 Pro at least.

Feb 14, 2011 at 6:46 AM Post #73 of 151

Quote:
.. it could be the M50 I had was a fake or damaged in some way.. I bought it 2nd hand lightly used from a guy here in Finland on some forum and usually people don't get rid of this headphone unless there's a good reason..

yeah... I don't think it's a fair comparison to run a used M50 with unknown origins in a comparison..

Feb 14, 2011 at 8:14 AM Post #74 of 151

Quote:
yeah... I don't think it's a fair comparison to run a used M50 with unknown origins in a comparison..

Yep you're probably right, it did look very genuine but it didn't sound like I expected with fairly little bass and quite a lot sibilance but otherwise it sounded fairly detailed and mids were pretty good and up-front. It was a bit brighter and mids were less recessed than expected and bass was much weaker than I had thought. Between the headphones in my signature it was by far the most basshy but all those are bassheavy headphones anyway, HD 212 Pro like I compared with is the bassiest Sennheiser headphone AFAIK.

Feb 14, 2011 at 10:46 PM Post #75 of 151
i'm an owner of the SR-80 and more recently ATH-M50s. bought the m50s to compliment the grado sound, i can't speak for the HFI-580s. as i'm sure you've read by now, the ATH-M50s are very warm, deliver in the bass department but have recessed mids. i love them because *everything* sounds good on them, maybe not as enhanced as on the grados, but dynamic, warm and responsive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back