Review: ATH-M50 vs. HFI-580 (vs. SR-80)
Apr 13, 2011 at 8:55 PM Post #123 of 151
The review says the M50 has more bass... is that the case with all of you who have tried both? The reason I ask is because I have heard from many that it is not true and the 580 actually has more (I'm looking into buying the DJ1 which is the same as the 580 just with a different look). Some even venture to say the DJ1(580) is a bit of a basshead can. I've tried the M50's but to me, the bass was definitely lacking with those.

Quote:

I would think so. Amazon is usually pretty good about selling legit stuff, especially when it's fulfilled by amazon like it is at this time. Sennheisers are a bit more shaky though. I've heard of many many instances of people getting ripped off on sennheisers even on amazon.

Apr 13, 2011 at 11:28 PM Post #124 of 151
If you thought M50's bass was lacking then 580's bass won't satisfy you either. They are very comparable in bass quantity with M50 being slightly boomier. The comparison was done using the same equipment and side by side at the same time. If you want more bass then move on up to PRO 900 which is like 580 but more quality bass that sounds very very nice.

Apr 13, 2011 at 11:39 PM Post #125 of 151

Quote:
If you thought M50's bass was lacking then 580's bass won't satisfy you either. They are very comparable in bass quantity with M50 being slightly boomier. The comparison was done using the same equipment and side by side at the same time. If you want more bass then move on up to PRO 900 which is like 580 but more quality bass that sounds very very nice.

A bit out of my price range at the moment
biggrin.gif
 so for the time being I'll just use my Crossfades with my ZO amp (increases the bass a TON without ruining the quality).

Apr 14, 2011 at 2:21 AM Post #126 of 151

Quote:
so you're sure the 580's are better?

My cousin said the 780's are better, but I've read that the 780's can sound harsh, I'd rather get the 780 because of the 1 meter cable haha but of course I'd rather get better sounding.

-"Out of the box and onto my head they sounded harsh. I immediately took them off, and let them run at a moderate level.

The next day, they still sounded harsh when I put them on for another 30 seconds.

After 96 hours of solid running without my head taking the abuse, I tried them again. Much better. Damn near perfect - for my taste. Harshness gone."

-"From those with the Fiio, I'd probably buy the HFI780."

So for sure the 580's are better?  Cuz I plan to buy them in a couple days

EDIT: I'm going to be using these mostly unamped, sometimes with a fiio e5 when I feel like carrying it around

yea brah, listned to some set's with about 200+hours of burn in, still harsh a all hell.

Apr 19, 2011 at 3:51 PM Post #128 of 151
... actually the hfi 580 has better bas then the m50's I have the m50's and I've heard the Hfi580's and they have more bass. If you have a decent amp I'm sure you can really bring out the M50's base by raising the frequencies around 100hz and you will hear the m50's potential. 

Apr 19, 2011 at 4:45 PM Post #129 of 151

Quote:
... actually the hfi 580 has better bas then the m50's I have the m50's and I've heard the Hfi580's and they have more bass. If you have a decent amp I'm sure you can really bring out the M50's base by raising the frequencies around 100hz and you will hear the m50's potential. 

More doesn't mean better. In my side-by-side comparison, 580's control of bass was tighter and packed more punch. M50's bass was a bit loose and boomier (not by a lot but still noticeable).

Apr 19, 2011 at 9:41 PM Post #131 of 151

Quote:
Wait are you saying tighter is better or loser? Oh and I meant the 580 had more bass :p sorry bout the misconception 

Tighter = better. 580 seemed to control frequencies better than M50 without bleeding over.

Apr 19, 2011 at 11:00 PM Post #132 of 151

Quote:
More doesn't mean better. In my side-by-side comparison, 580's control of bass was tighter and packed more punch. M50's bass was a bit loose and boomier (not by a lot but still noticeable).

IMO they were better in the bass end and the high end all around, pretty tight bass with some boomyness to it. The highs are more defined as well.

May 9, 2011 at 5:19 PM Post #133 of 151
I was wondering do you think that the 580's have very crisp mids? because I want cans that won't distort mids like lets say in rock music or even some techno. I have the m50's now and dubstep and most techno and hip hop sound AMAZING but I'm not impressed when i listen to rock music, it sounds like other 50 dollar headphones 

May 9, 2011 at 8:19 PM Post #134 of 151
I listen to mainly rock/metal and they sound fine to me in that genre.  Sound amazing in dubstep techno trance drum & bass too.  So I guess an all-around headphone? Sounds like that in my opinion

Aug 13, 2011 at 4:44 AM Post #135 of 151
Do either the 580 or m50 require amps? I'm trying to decide between these two, but would like to get a pair that those not need an amp. I will mostly play music from my macbook pro and iphone. 
I like to listen to hip-hop and rock, and also occasionally movies. Which has the better sound isolation and comfort? 

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back