REVIEW: Astell & Kern AK240
Jan 14, 2015 at 4:16 AM Post #107 of 109
  Best portable audio player i ever listen to, shocking price though. The sound quality is better than sony pcm-d50, at a cost 5 times more. Sony PCM-D50 is much better than AK100 and AK120. It is sad, that D50 not even a mp3 player, and sony made it in 2007 at $500. Why sony does not rule the portable MP3 player world, they show they can do it in D50. They let the korean and chinese rule the high end portable market. I love the bass, the resolution of Ak240, everything except the price. If you listen to $500 recorder sound next to $2500 AK240, you will shake your head too. Sony could rule it all, but wasted everything.

Sony has some hi-res audiophile DAPs... namely the ZX1 and newly announced ZX2.  I haven't given either a good audition so I can't say anything of value here... but others' impressions so far seem to suggest that the AK240 is still better sounding.

It's going to be interesting to see if the AK's balanced output will drive my headphones with enough control that SR71b can stay in the office.

FWIW, Currawong ran an HD 800 balanced from an AK240 and thought it was pretty good.

Mar 11, 2015 at 2:33 AM Post #108 of 109

Sony has some hi-res audiophile DAPs... namely the ZX1 and newly announced ZX2.  I haven't given either a good audition so I can't say anything of value here... but others' impressions so far seem to suggest that the AK240 is still better sounding.

That's not what I'm hearing, not hearing that at all.

Jul 1, 2015 at 10:44 AM Post #109 of 109

FWIW, Currawong ran an HD 800 balanced from an AK240 and thought it was pretty good.

After reading all the positive reviews of ZX2. I went to a shop for listening. I am confused. Totally confuse.
My ultrasone 8 on ZX2, it sound truly horrible. Extremely underpower, i need to go on max vol for most songs.
But my plugs i used on iPhone , ultimate ears superfi 5EB sound pretty good on ZX2. 
so i asked the shop,did you burn in the player for sony recommended time, they claim they did.
I DO NOT UNDERSTAND.
did ZX2 uses some DSP which make it sound great on some IEM? 
Back to my 2007 sony recorder PCM-D50 for music. I hear nothing good about ZX2.

I tested AK240 before, it is superior in every way on Ultrasone edition 8 when compare to ZX2. The korean beat Japan yet again. I am just waiting for Ak240 price to fall. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back