Review: Anedio D1 DAC - my new reference DAC
Nov 1, 2011 at 5:30 PM Post #796 of 951

Quote:
I posted the last bit of info I had a few weeks ago:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/528473/review-anedio-d1-dac-my-new-reference-dac/765#post_7824543

At this point it will likely be a waiting game for them to get the various certification testing done by independent labs. Can't legally sell a product like this without certification. There are some audio companies who skip this step, but it is an important one.

So short answer: no specific time frame is available at this time. 

Ah, yeah, I did see that.. but they should have an idea of how long the process will take and be able to make an estimate (2 months? 6 months? 12 months?) IMHO. Or at least, that's what I was hoping for :)

Nov 3, 2011 at 6:58 AM Post #798 of 951
they shipped to me without any hassles ( i am from India ) ( around 100 for shipping with insurance , USPS priority) 

if they have a Europe dealer his price will be the same ( numerical ) , just in euros. ( its common take westone for example)

do you really want a Europe dealer ?

Nov 3, 2011 at 2:18 PM Post #799 of 951
@singh: You probably forgot or didn't know about EU taxes.

Example. Take Burson products.
If I buy HA160D directly from them the price is 1,150 Euro (shipment included) + I have to pay taxes because it comes outside EU. 24% VAT applied to the invoice: 1150Euro + 276Euro VAT = 1426 EURO, there is another 2-3% tax for electronics here!

If I buy the same product from a EU dealer the price is 999 euro + shipment that is 30-40Euro => ~1040Euro and I get it faster and I don't have to deal with customs.
1426euro-1040euro=386euro (533 US Dollars) SAVE. 

So yes I really want a EU dealer. I don't say this applies to all products from outside EU with a EU dealer but in some cases as you can see you can save a lot of moneys IMO and you don't have to wait so much and most important you don't have to deal with customs.
Sorry for the off topic.

Nov 15, 2011 at 5:26 AM Post #800 of 951
Just a heads-up, here's some info about the D1 refresh (courtesy of Elisabeth in Customer Service):

"Thank you very much for your interest in our product.

We apologize for the delay in the D1 update.  We are doing our best to complete it as soon as possible, and we will be making a more concrete announcement about the release plan in about a month.

As for specific features, it will have a 192KHz, 24bit USB interface, balanced outputs, improved headphone amp, and various small improvements."

So less than a month, and a slew of requested upgrades.  Looking very forward to the formal announcement!

Nov 15, 2011 at 2:35 PM Post #801 of 951
Too late.  I'm planning to buy 3 DACs, one for me and two gifts, all by or for Christmas.  Thanks for posting the info.  I'll move on 3x something else.   Considering Benchmark, Musical Fidelity, and possibly Rega though Rega is looking less likely and longer in the tooth as the year goes by.

Nov 16, 2011 at 3:26 AM Post #802 of 951

Quote:
Just a heads-up, here's some info about the D1 refresh (courtesy of Elisabeth in Customer Service):

"Thank you very much for your interest in our product.

We apologize for the delay in the D1 update.  We are doing our best to complete it as soon as possible, and we will be making a more concrete announcement about the release plan in about a month.

As for specific features, it will have a 192KHz, 24bit USB interface, balanced outputs, improved headphone amp, and various small improvements."

So less than a month, and a slew of requested upgrades.  Looking very forward to the formal announcement!

Thanks for the update. 
normal_smile .gif

Not sure I read it quite as positively as you do. "About a month" could easily be 5-6 weeks. Plus that's just for a "more concrete announcement about the release plan" which doesn't sound like an actual product launch on that date. Still, hope I'm wrong.

Nov 17, 2011 at 12:46 AM Post #803 of 951

Quote:
Too late.  I'm planning to buy 3 DACs, one for me and two gifts, all by or for Christmas.  Thanks for posting the info.  I'll move on 3x something else.   Considering Benchmark, Musical Fidelity, and possibly Rega though Rega is looking less likely and longer in the tooth as the year goes by.

My advise (not that you asked....) if you can't wait for the new Anedio, is to check out the Violectric V800. It's roughly the same price, and sounds very close, to within a few inches of being on the same level. Stellar build quality, all of the usual options plus a well done digital volume control, and a unique small form factor. A real good buy in my opinion.

I got to check out the Rega the other day. My quick impression was that it had a pleasing tone but was a bit overpriced. I would be happy with it for maybe $500-650 or so. At $1k I can think of a dozen better DACs out there. But that was just a 30 minute impression so I could be way off.

Quote:

Thanks for the update. 
normal_smile%20.gif

Not sure I read it quite as positively as you do. "About a month" could easily be 5-6 weeks. Plus that's just for a "more concrete announcement about the release plan" which doesn't sound like an actual product launch on that date. Still, hope I'm wrong.

That's along the same lines as I was thinking. My theory is that they will hear back from the independant lab by then, so they'll know if they passed all the certifications required. If so then they will be able to give a solid release date. I'm pretty sure this will happen but there is always a small chance of a revision being needed.

James has always said that he didn't want it to be this way, but felt it was better than the alternative. As a small family company they likely just didn't have the cash reserves nor the time nor the manpower to order another big run of the original, assemble them, ship them, and work on the refreshed model, and finish the USB to SPDIF converter. Something had to give, and he chose the path of moving forward. Seems about right to me.

Nov 17, 2011 at 1:05 AM Post #804 of 951
I own both the Anedio and Rega, and from my perspective they are close to each other.

This is from many months of listening both on  my main rig with Thiel speakers, (both 3.5's and 3.6's) and my headphone rig with Liquid Fire+Audeze LCD2.2's.

The Anedio get a slight advantage in the subtle detail and HF extension, but in the wrong set up that can be a bit sibilant.  The Rega very and i mean very slightly warmer and ever so slightly forgiving of CD's badly recorded . 

The Rega uses a Wolfson 8742 DAC chip vs Anedio Sabre32.  The build quality is excellent on both, Rega has some nice "tweaks" usually left to  DIYers.   [size=x-small]All the capacitors associated with the analogue signal path are Nichicon FG bypassed with MMK polyester capacitors[/size][size=x-small], and low impedance conductive polymer capacitors are used for DAC decoupling. The power supply utilizes a toroidal transformer, fast rectifier diodes and again Nichicon FG capacitors. There is a power supply for the control microcontroller, separate from the digital & analogue audio stages. Special attention being paid to the inter IC control signals ensuring the control data noise is kept to a minimum.[/size]

I could live with either as my only DAC in either rig.

I am right now listening to the Rega in  my main Thiel 3.6 rig, because this week I converted the Thiels to dual inputs separating the woofer and LF crossover from the rest of the speaker electronically. I use a VTL St85 for the mid and HF, and  carver TFM-35 for the LF.  Sounds incredible.  The new Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon Live concert CD from their 1974 Wembley Stadium concert is as close to live as i have heard.  after I finish evaluating the Rega with my "new style" Thiels, I am going to put the Anedio back in to see how it sounds.

Nov 17, 2011 at 2:08 AM Post #805 of 951

Quote:
I own both the Anedio and Rega, and from my perspective they are close to each other.

This is from many months of listening both on  my main rig with Thiel speakers, (both 3.5's and 3.6's) and my headphone rig with Liquid Fire+Audeze LCD2.2's.

The Anedio get a slight advantage in the subtle detail and HF extension, but in the wrong set up that can be a bit sibilant.  The Rega very and i mean very slightly warmer and ever so slightly forgiving of CD's badly recorded . 

The Rega uses a Wolfson 8742 DAC chip vs Anedio Sabre32.  The build quality is excellent on both, Rega has some nice "tweaks" usually left to  DIYers.   [size=x-small]All the capacitors associated with the analogue signal path are Nichicon FG bypassed with MMK polyester capacitors[/size][size=x-small], and low impedance conductive polymer capacitors are used for DAC decoupling. The power supply utilizes a toroidal transformer, fast rectifier diodes and again Nichicon FG capacitors. There is a power supply for the control microcontroller, separate from the digital & analogue audio stages. Special attention being paid to the inter IC control signals ensuring the control data noise is kept to a minimum.[/size]

I could live with either as my only DAC in either rig.

I am right now listening to the Rega in  my main Thiel 3.6 rig, because this week I converted the Thiels to dual inputs separating the woofer and LF crossover from the rest of the speaker electronically. I use a VTL St85 for the mid and HF, and  carver TFM-35 for the LF.  Sounds incredible.  The new Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon Live concert CD from their 1974 Wembley Stadium concert is as close to live as i have heard.  after I finish evaluating the Rega with my "new style" Thiels, I am going to put the Anedio back in to see how it sounds.

Nice setup(s) you have there.

Maybe I totally misjudged the Rega. Certainly possible. I do remember thinking that it was nice and warm, with a smooth and forgiving sound. Which is nice I suppose. I also remember thinking it sounded very similar but slightly inferior to another DAC I had on hand to compare, which used a pair of the Wolfson WM8741 chips (higher in the line than 8742, I'm not sure what Wolfson was thinking with their naming schemes). The other unit was $1100 but had a lot more features as well. Both had the 5 different filter choices which I think is a very nice option to have.

Based on these two, I'd think that Wolfson=warm and musical, but that wasn't always the case (WM8740 such as DacMagic being somewhat cold). Still, it's an enjoyable sound, and some certainly prefer it to the more neutral or detailed alternative.

Nov 17, 2011 at 9:51 AM Post #806 of 951

Quote:
Originally Posted by project86 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My advise (not that you asked....) if you can't wait for the new Anedio, is to check out the Violectric V800. It's roughly the same price, and sounds very close, to within a few inches of being on the same level. Stellar build quality, all of the usual options plus a well done digital volume control, and a unique small form factor. A real good buy in my opinion.

I got to check out the Rega the other day. My quick impression was that it had a pleasing tone but was a bit overpriced. I would be happy with it for maybe $500-650 or so. At $1k I can think of a dozen better DACs out there. But that was just a 30 minute impression so I could be way off.

Thanks!  :)  I'll check out the Violectric.  I just found out one of my associates received a DAC for his birthday this week.  So that leaves only two for me to purchase.  I'll probably get something a bit more extravagant for myself and something in the $600 - $750 range for the other Christmas present.  Your suggestion is very helpful and I appreciate it much.  In re-reading my original post, I realize my frustration shows through.  I was holding out for the Anedio with the Audiolab as a possible "plan B."  As it turns out, neither will be available in the US before the end of the year.  That is the origin of my frustration.  However, on a good note, it has made me re-examine with more of a focus on system matching.  I'm strongly considering the Benchmark HDR now too.

Quote:

The Rega uses a Wolfson 8742 DAC chip vs Anedio Sabre32.  The build quality is excellent on both, Rega has some nice "tweaks" usually left to  DIYers.   [size=x-small]All the capacitors associated with the analogue signal path are Nichicon FG bypassed with MMK polyester capacitors[/size][size=x-small], and low impedance conductive polymer capacitors are used for DAC decoupling. The power supply utilizes a toroidal transformer, fast rectifier diodes and again Nichicon FG capacitors. There is a power supply for the control microcontroller, separate from the digital & analogue audio stages. Special attention being paid to the inter IC control signals ensuring the control data noise is kept to a minimum.[/size]

Thanks for the info.  You guys are both very nice and helpful.  Honestly, I was all set to buy the Rega a month ago and almost pulled the trigger.  Then I entered analysis paralysis and spent too much time checking out comparable products.  I wish the Rega had better USB specs, but I'll likely be using it spdif from a SBT 75% of the time.  I like Rega and actually have been using a pair of RS1 speakers in my home office listening room.  I didn't like them at first but after breaking in, they are really amazing and the paper cones I think have a lot to do with that.  However, in trying to system match, I have to consider my amp is a Leben CS300XS and the speakers being the Rega RS1 in combination are already pretty warm.  In fact, I would think a more neutral to detailed DAC would be a good match.  The Benchmark HDR keeps coming up as a good possibility.  I'm also looking at the Rega, Musical Fidelity's new version M1, and now will check out the Violectric too.  Any thoughts on this given my particular system?  It sounds great as-is, but the weak link is the SBT's internal DAC which I don't feel is revealing enough and maybe gets a little sloppy in more complex musical passages.

Nov 17, 2011 at 12:55 PM Post #807 of 951

Quote:

...I would think a more neutral to detailed DAC would be a good match... Any thoughts on this given my particular system?  

You might want to look at the Wyred 4 Sound Dac1/Dac2. I've no experience of either, but having done lots of reading whilst trying my best to hang on for the Anedio Mark 2 it would seem a reasonable possibility.

Nov 17, 2011 at 1:10 PM Post #808 of 951

@project86

Hi there. I would probably be able to wait more calmly for the updated Anedio D1 had I not finally made the decision to buy one on the very day that it sold out.
mad.gif

As irony would have it, I had been putting off the purchase for some time - as it wasn't urgent and, I thought I was being responsible. My frustration is further compounded by the fact that I have no need for 192k usb or balanced. I just hope they don't beef-up the headout too much on the new version (for ortho users), as I want to use it primarily for my Miracles. 

Nov 17, 2011 at 4:24 PM Post #809 of 951
They appear FS used from time-to-time. Ditto on the no use for usb or balanced, and the HPA doesn't need improvement for anything short of ortho usage. I'm thinking if they did a higher production run at lower prices of the original they'd sell a fair amount!

Nov 17, 2011 at 4:29 PM Post #810 of 951

Quote:

Without a doubt, personal experience trumps everything - but I just was recently going thru John Darko's site and saw that he loves the Anedio and is pretty ho-hum about he V800.  Any comments on that?  

The reviews in question:

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net.au/index.php/audio-reviews/digital-source-reviews/item/249-anedio-d1-dac-ess-sabre-9018
http://www.digitalaudioreview.net.au/index.php/audio-reviews/digital-source-reviews/item/173-lake-people-violectric-v800-dac

Users who are viewing this thread

Back