Review: Anedio D1 DAC - my new reference DAC
Oct 3, 2011 at 9:22 AM Post #766 of 951

Quote:
After I read the whole thread I must say this looks like an amazing product.
What I like most is that Anedio takes all the time needed to develop the new version even that means they lose money, this tells a lot about Anedio.

At first I was sure this is all in one product I was looking for, but then I read that the amp section is not that good with Sennheiser HD650 and other more power demanding headphones.
I wish Anedio had in mind hd650 and others when designed the amp section because they are very popular headphones and at this price I believe it should be able to deliver enough power to drive most of headphones.

Maybe Anedio should also improve the amp section with the new version but probably is too much work.

@project86 Can't wait your V800 review. As many said you make wonderful reviews. Digitalaudioreview gave it 3/5 stars. (V200 is in my mind for a while but I still search for a cheaper all in one solution.)

We'll see what happens. I know it is something they would like to work on but who knows what the result will be. I personally think the D1 sounds very nice with the HD650 and most other cans..... the only limitation is orthos and in some situations 600 ohm cans. But we all hear differently.

I am aware of the piece Digital Audio Review did on the V800. I like the author, and think he is a superb writer, but I have to disagree with his conclusions. 

Oct 3, 2011 at 1:20 PM Post #767 of 951
I see the HPA out from the D1 more as a added convenience feature for easy to drive HP. Personally I think Anedio D1 did the right thing. After all the focus should be more on the DAC section for what the purpose of the D1 is. In that regard Anedio did great.

Hard to drive headphones would need a more potent amp section. But that would counterattack the design and cost efficient vision of Anedio. Although I can understand some of you are looking for a one box complete solution.

wink.gif

Oct 3, 2011 at 10:13 PM Post #770 of 951

Quote:
I see the HPA out from the D1 more as a added convenience feature for easy to drive HP. Personally I think Anedio D1 did the right thing. After all the focus should be more on the DAC section for what the purpose of the D1 is. In that regard Anedio did great.

Hard to drive headphones would need a more potent amp section. But that would counterattack the design and cost efficient vision of Anedio. Although I can understand some of you are looking for a one box complete solution.

wink.gif

Agree. 

My experience with the HD600, saw the D1 amplification section coming up short mainly with highly demanding passages. I would tend to guess most listeners would not even notice.The D1 amp remains for the most part a great addition for the dac.

I won't be wringing my hands, If use of my GS1 were lost, but just the same it would be sad if Anedio didn't take this opportunity to improve the amp within budget.

Oct 4, 2011 at 5:13 PM Post #771 of 951
I think the best move for them at this point would be to improve the amp, mostly by increasing the power levels. Later on down the road, they could offer another variation with no amp section (for a lower price of course). 

I suspect that is something that they would love to offer right now, but just don't want to complicate things at the moment. Kind of like the way Schiit is using the same chassis across their whole lineup. 

Oct 5, 2011 at 3:13 AM Post #772 of 951
The funny is that the headphone amp in the Anedio D1 looks like the most easiest possible from photos, op and hybrid bug about a few components, it looks for a LM..Also volume control in digital, useable is 10-15db and then it is degrade sound it is like volume control in computer :D
Also pretty nice write web about jitter but nothing new ESS Sabre = ASRC. Though new version seems very promising. 

Oct 15, 2011 at 12:47 PM Post #774 of 951
OK, I heard from James at Anedio, so I'm adding a status update.

He tells me that the USB to SPDIF converter is "essentially done". I get the impression that the design and build is all complete, but there are just a few minor odds and ends to take care of. Maybe something like the manual, or final touches on the enclosure, or something like that. With the main focus being on the updated DAC, this product has probably been low priority, but I imagine they will be available for purchase soon enough.

He also tells me that the D1 update is moving along well. PCB will be sent out for fabrication soon, and unless there are unanticipated issues, the project will move forward. Next step after that would be EMI conformance and safety testing by an outside lab. To paraphrase James, who described the updates in his typically humble way:

He made far more changes than originally anticipated, although all are still minor/incremental. Changes to power supplies are sprinkled throughout the DAC. Special attention was paid to the DAC analog power supply. He voiced his displeasure with the way it was handled in the ESS demo board, but lacking detailed information on the internals of the ES9018 chip (apparently ESS was not very communicative with him on the subject), he was limited as to the improvements he could reliably make while designing the original D1. With knowledge gained from the initial D1 build, and lots more time spent on it since then, he believes he has improved it. Jitter will be even lower, and the headphone amp will be better as well (no specific details given to me at this point regarding amp upgrades). 

That's all I have at the moment. Still no specific time frame information. Barring any complications, it seems that it will mostly come down to the time it takes for certification by the independent lab. 

Oct 16, 2011 at 8:15 AM Post #775 of 951
At least tube manufacturers gave the designer pretty good info as to the internals in their products. That is just a commentary on how cut-throat the chip business has become. Patents provide no protection so its all proprietary. Pleased by James' progress, I have been holding off touting his product until the new unit is available. He is brilliant designer who also listens criticallly. He deserves every success. Regards

Oct 16, 2011 at 10:02 PM Post #776 of 951

Quote:
The funny is that the headphone amp in the Anedio D1 looks like the most easiest possible from photos, op and hybrid bug about a few components, it looks for a LM..Also volume control in digital, useable is 10-15db and then it is degrade sound it is like volume control in computer :D
Also pretty nice write web about jitter but nothing new ESS Sabre = ASRC. Though new version seems very promising. 

@not_sure, I have read your post 3 times, and I still cant make any sense of it. I'm plugged it into Google Translate and it came back with 'All your base are ours', so I've forwarded it to Homeland Security.

Oct 16, 2011 at 11:17 PM Post #777 of 951

Quote:
@not_sure, I have read your post 3 times, and I still cant make any sense of it. I'm plugged it into Google Translate and it came back with 'All your base are ours', so I've forwarded it to Homeland Security.

I don't care who ya are...That's funny right there!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back