Review: Anedio D1 DAC - my new reference DAC
Oct 24, 2011 at 3:46 PM Post #781 of 951
I've never read a review that's so powerfully persuasive that I feel compelled to purchase the product being reviewed, until now. Can't wait until an updated version of the D1 is released. And thanks project86 for a fantastic write up

Oct 24, 2011 at 5:55 PM Post #782 of 951

Quote:
I've never read a review that's so powerfully persuasive that I feel compelled to purchase the product being reviewed, until now. Can't wait until an updated version of the D1 is released. And thanks project86 for a fantastic write up

Well thanks! It certainly wasn't my intent to push people into buying.... that's never how I approach my reviews. I basically just try to document my experiences as best I can. But I guess sometimes it does have that result, because I'm just so impressed with the product. 

Oct 24, 2011 at 10:02 PM Post #783 of 951
project86, somewhat OT, but I have to ask anyway -

I'm sure you have seen the asking prices of the seriously high end (I'm thinking dCS, but you may know of other kit) and it came down to upgrading your car to something really nice or buying one of those DACs. Most here would nominate a stack of kit/headphones that they could buy for, lets say 30K, but for our purposes lets assume those where your choices.

Would you splash out on a DAC costing that kind of money ?

http://www.dcsltd.co.uk/

Oct 24, 2011 at 11:23 PM Post #784 of 951

Quote:

Would you splash out on a DAC costing that kind of money ?

http://www.dcsltd.co.uk/

Going even further OT, but noticed a comparison of this DAC vs. the Metrum Octave in that thread (I'm a former Anedio owner now using one):

"it is clearly the best DAC I've heard, save the dCS Debussy (which costs around $20,000 alone, I believe). After enough burn-in I brought my U3/Octave to a friend who owns the Debussy. Overall, I'd say the Debussy is slightly superior to the Octave in terms of clarity and soundstage, but this gap was mitigated by adding the U3 (which also makes it computer USB compatible). IMO the U3/Octave delivers about 95% of Debussy's performance"

Oct 25, 2011 at 3:30 PM Post #785 of 951
estreeter: To answer your question simply.... no. I would not spend that much (assuming I could afford it, which I certainly can't!). Not when gear that comes so close in sound costs so little in comparison. 

If I was an oil baron, Saudi prince, or some James Bond villain type of rich guy, then maybe I would. But first I'd have to have a specially designed listening room with brilliant acoustics. Anything short of that just doesn't make sense to me. What sort of speakers are you possibly going to run that would make your excellent DAC the bottleneck? I'm thinking of the Anedio, Violectric, Weiss, Antelope, Resonessence, and those type of ultra-high performers that still go for under $5k. In my mind any improvement would only be in your mind, chiefly caused by the need to justify your purchase. But many folks out there would disagree with me.

As bobeau as an example of - not every DAC is a good match for every set of ears, no matter how good it might be. But the great part is that there are so many options with prices in the low 4 digit range. 

Oct 25, 2011 at 5:27 PM Post #787 of 951

Quote:
Thought some folks might be interested in this:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/577161/anedio-d1-dac

Good find, I imagine that should sell fairly quickly. I wonder what he upgraded to? I know he had been considering the Resonessence Invicta at one point. 

EDIT: btw bobeau I just saw your office rig picture in that other thread - looks great! It appears that the Metrum is a pretty good aesthetic match with your Woo amp. And those Edition 8s..... beautiful. When do you think you'll get your Thunderpants in? I'm curious how they compare to the Edition 8.

Oct 25, 2011 at 6:16 PM Post #788 of 951

Quote:
Good find, I imagine that should sell fairly quickly. I wonder what he upgraded to? I know he had been considering the Resonessence Invicta at one point. 

EDIT: btw bobeau I just saw your office rig picture in that other thread - looks great! It appears that the Metrum is a pretty good aesthetic match with your Woo amp. And those Edition 8s..... beautiful. When do you think you'll get your Thunderpants in? I'm curious how they compare to the Edition 8.

To dispel any further curiosity, I did indeed just acquire the Resonessence Invicta -- and I have to admit in large part due to project86's review.  However I still completely agree with him that the Anedio D1 is a very fine DAC.  I do not regret getting the Anedio earlier but for me the Invicta does much more for me than the Anedio could, but understandably at a price.   Eventually I plan to write a bit more on my impressions of the Invicta but would like it to break in a little more.... but what I'm hearing so far is "mind-blowing" (in a very positive sense).   

Oct 25, 2011 at 6:29 PM Post #789 of 951

Quote:
To dispel any further curiosity, I did indeed just acquire the Resonessence Invicta -- and I have to admit in large part due to project86's review.  However I still completely agree with him that the Anedio D1 is a very fine DAC.  I do not regret getting the Anedio earlier but for me the Invicta does much more for me than the Anedio could, but understandably at a price.   Eventually I plan to write a bit more on my impressions of the Invicta but would like it to break in a little more.... but what I'm hearing so far is "mind-blowing" (in a very positive sense).   

Cool - I think you are the first person around here to actual own the Invicta (unlike me, I was just pretending). It certainly is a fine piece of equipment, and to this day I still wonder if I should scrape together some dough and get one for myself. I think if I had less stuff going on in my life, and therefore more time to listen, I just might do it. 

Thanks for the update though. 

EDIT: did you see their setup at RMAF? No lower priced "trickle down" DAC from them yet, just an amp (which I don't know much about yet).

Oct 26, 2011 at 5:06 PM Post #790 of 951

Quote:
Eventually I plan to write a bit more on my impressions of the Invicta but would like it to break in a little more.... but what I'm hearing so far is "mind-blowing" (in a very positive sense).   

Awesome. It makes sense to stay in the ESS family of DACs, although I'll probably be waiting for a 2nd hand purchase. 

Oct 26, 2011 at 5:47 PM Post #791 of 951
Quote:

Thanks!  I'm in the group buy so have no idea.  Hopefully by the end of the year, Smeggy is pretty overloaded.  Zircote w/ brown stax pads it will be.  The loser will be sold (have a sick dog that just set me back $4300 since Friday, may be north of $6k when its all said and done so toys not regularly used must go)

Oct 26, 2011 at 6:13 PM Post #792 of 951

Quote:
Thanks!  I'm in the group buy so have no idea.  Hopefully by the end of the year, Smeggy is pretty overloaded.  Zircote w/ brown stax pads it will be.  The loser will be sold (have a sick dog that just set me back $4300 since Friday, may be north of $6k when its all said and done so toys not regularly used must go)

Wow is your dog named R10? Seriously though, priorities.... sometimes selling expensive toys is worth it.

Nov 1, 2011 at 4:44 PM Post #794 of 951
Has anyone heard about a release date for the updated version of the D1? I've tried contacting
them about it but haven't received a reply yet... they might not know themselves when they
will be ready, but in that case they could just say that it won't be available this year, that much
they should know... then I can look elsewhere instead. So if anyone has any information, please
tell me, I need to decide soon :)

Nov 1, 2011 at 5:03 PM Post #795 of 951
I posted the last bit of info I had a few weeks ago:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/528473/review-anedio-d1-dac-my-new-reference-dac/765#post_7824543

At this point it will likely be a waiting game for them to get the various certification testing done by independent labs. Can't legally sell a product like this without certification. There are some audio companies who skip this step, but it is an important one.

So short answer: no specific time frame is available at this time. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back