Review: Anedio D1 DAC - my new reference DAC
Sep 26, 2011 at 5:47 PM Post #751 of 951

Quote:
Does anybody have any info/thoughts on when the revised D1 might become available?

Just my luck, the day I finally made up my mind to go for the Anedio was the day they suspended sales of the original version. And then I failed to notice the recent sale of the refurbished models. 
angry_face.gif

It's really hard waiting with so much other good stuff around. Currently, I am sorely tempted by both the W4S DAC2 and the new Plus version of the EE Minimax.  

Sorry, nothing concrete yet. I've speculated that it should be ready by the end of the year, but that's really just a guess on my part. James has given me a few updates and progress is definitely being made, but they did lose some time due to family emergencies as well as the crazy weather in that region lately. 

All I can say is that it is probably worth the wait, but there certainly are also good choices out there if you lose patience. I'll update if I ever get a concrete timeframe. 

Sep 26, 2011 at 7:36 PM Post #752 of 951

Quote:
Sorry, nothing concrete yet... 

...All I can say is that it is probably worth the wait...

Hi, thanks for the response. I thought that would probably be about the state of the play. I really should try and hang on. That way, I'd get the extra benefit a head-amp section as well, something which neither the W4S or Minimax can offer. Waiting can just be so difficult though.

Incidentally, I am a great fan of your reviews here on head-fi. They are always highly informative and a great read. (Naturally, my wallet is rather less taken with your work. 
biggrin.gif
)    

Sep 27, 2011 at 2:38 PM Post #753 of 951

Quote:
Hi, thanks for the response. I thought that would probably be about the state of the play. I really should try and hang on. That way, I'd get the extra benefit a head-amp section as well, something which neither the W4S or Minimax can offer. Waiting can just be so difficult though.

Incidentally, I am a great fan of your reviews here on head-fi. They are always highly informative and a great read. (Naturally, my wallet is rather less taken with your work. 
biggrin.gif
)    

The WFS DAC2 can be a headamp....sort of. It is a DAC with built in preamp and balanced outputs. You can connect any headphone with balanced XLRs directly into it.

PA

Sep 28, 2011 at 4:27 AM Post #754 of 951

Quote:

The WFS DAC2 can be a headamp....sort of. It is a DAC with built in preamp and balanced outputs. You can connect any headphone with balanced XLRs directly into it.

PA

Thanks for that info. It certainly adds a potential new angle into the mix. At the moment though, I am still trying really hard to hang on for the D1 ver.2 - especially as I so narrowly missed out on it the first time round.. 

Sep 28, 2011 at 8:09 PM Post #757 of 951
project86, like many I have followed this thread with intense interest. Like many, I have watched your kit evolve over time, and I remain wary of the 'next big thing' to land on your desk : is there anything else out there within cooee of the D1's price which comes close ? 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooee

An expression "within cooee of" has developed. It means "not far from", and seems to be confined to New Zealand and Australian English, and is often used in the negative sense (ie "not within cooee of" meaning not close to).

Sep 30, 2011 at 12:49 AM Post #758 of 951
project86, out of curiosity, have you ever owned or auditioned the Havana dac? It seems to be largely popular here and within the same price range of the D1. If you have, I'd love to know what you thought of it. Despite it's popularity, comparisons of it to other dacs are a bit scarce.

Sep 30, 2011 at 11:42 AM Post #759 of 951

Quote:
project86, like many I have followed this thread with intense interest. Like many, I have watched your kit evolve over time, and I remain wary of the 'next big thing' to land on your desk : is there anything else out there within cooee of the D1's price which comes close ? 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooee

An expression "within cooee of" has developed. It means "not far from", and seems to be confined to New Zealand and Australian English, and is often used in the negative sense (ie "not within cooee of" meaning not close to).

Actually yes, there sort of is....

I'm working on the review now and should have it up next week or so. The Violectric V800 DAC is very similar to the D1 in terms of overall sonic performance. It goes for $1300 so the price is the same. It has similar features like pre-amp capability with well done digital volume control. It does not have a built in headphone amp, but does have balanced capability. At the end of the day I find the Anedio to be ever so slightly superior, but it's the sort of difference that required a week of back to back comparisons with very high end equipment in order to notice. So for someone who is unable to wait for the refreshed D1, the V800 is a very good choice.

Quote:
project86, out of curiosity, have you ever owned or auditioned the Havana dac? It seems to be largely popular here and within the same price range of the D1. If you have, I'd love to know what you thought of it. Despite it's popularity, comparisons of it to other dacs are a bit scarce.

Nope, sorry. I tend to not be a huge fan of NOS designs, both in theory as well as practical experience. But on occasion I've dealt with models that go against that trend, including the Sigtone Shek DAC on the low end and the Marantz SA-1 on the high end.

Sep 30, 2011 at 12:46 PM Post #760 of 951
After spending some more time with the D1, I realize how nice a remote is. Initially, I scoffed at the notion of ever needing a remote because I mostly sit at my desk; but it's nice to be able to control volume when in bed :D

Sep 30, 2011 at 1:03 PM Post #761 of 951

Quote:
After spending some more time with the D1, I realize how nice a remote is. Initially, I scoffed at the notion of ever needing a remote because I mostly sit at my desk; but it's nice to be able to control volume when in bed :D

Yup. After the D1 a high quality digital vol control and remote becomes a necessary feature. All the more so if my next amp uses a stepped attenuator. 

Sep 30, 2011 at 9:02 PM Post #762 of 951
Actually yes, there sort of is....

I'm working on the review now and should have it up next week or so. The Violectric V800 DAC is very similar to the D1 in terms of overall sonic performance. It goes for $1300 so the price is the same. It has similar features like pre-amp capability with well done digital volume control. It does not have a built in headphone amp, but does have balanced capability. At the end of the day I find the Anedio to be ever so slightly superior, but it's the sort of difference that required a week of back to back comparisons with very high end equipment in order to notice. So for someone who is unable to wait for the refreshed D1, the V800 is a very good choice.

Quote:
Nope, sorry. I tend to not be a huge fan of NOS designs, both in theory as well as practical experience. But on occasion I've dealt with models that go against that trend, including the Sigtone Shek DAC on the low end and the Marantz SA-1 on the high end.

Thanks for the feedback - Violectric appear to have quite a following on Head-Fi.

Oct 2, 2011 at 9:22 PM Post #763 of 951
After I read the whole thread I must say this looks like an amazing product.
What I like most is that Anedio takes all the time needed to develop the new version even that means they lose money, this tells a lot about Anedio.

At first I was sure this is all in one product I was looking for, but then I read that the amp section is not that good with Sennheiser HD650 and other more power demanding headphones.
I wish Anedio had in mind hd650 and others when designed the amp section because they are very popular headphones and at this price I believe it should be able to deliver enough power to drive most of headphones.

Maybe Anedio should also improve the amp section with the new version but probably is too much work.

@project86 Can't wait your V800 review. As many said you make wonderful reviews. Digitalaudioreview gave it 3/5 stars. (V200 is in my mind for a while but I still search for a cheaper all in one solution.)

Oct 2, 2011 at 9:52 PM Post #764 of 951
After I read the whole thread I must say this looks like an amazing product.
What I like most is that Anedio takes all the time needed to develop the new version even that means they lose money, this tells a lot about Anedio.

At first I was sure this is all in one product I was looking for, but then I read that the amp section is not that good with Sennheiser HD650 and other more power demanding headphones.
I wish Anedio had in mind hd650 and others when designed the amp section because they are very popular headphones and at this price I believe it should be able to deliver enough power to drive most of headphones.

Maybe Anedio should also improve the amp section with the new version but probably is too much work.

@project86 Can't wait your V800 review. As many said you make wonderful reviews. Digitalaudioreview gave it 3/5 stars. (V200 is in my mind for a while but I still search for a cheaper all in one solution.)

I'm not sure that's true. IIRC in this thread it states that the Anedio designer uses the AKG K70x's. Also, as I stated, I run AKG Q701's and DT880-600ohm and neither pair gets any louder out of the Meier Concerto I have than the Anedio D1 HPA. Both of those 'phones are harder to drive than Senn's AFAIK. If I didn't have a bedroom setup in the works, I'd sell the Concerto because I don't use it - I just use the D1 HPA for all my needs.

Oct 3, 2011 at 3:46 AM Post #765 of 951
Plus... if Anedio were to significantly up the power output so that the HPA section could handle really difficult to drive cans, this could well be to the detriment of other users who want run IEM's out of the HPA. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back