Review: Anedio D1 DAC - my new reference DAC
Sep 11, 2011 at 12:56 PM Post #736 of 951
Indeed it does.

Quote:
Yeah I'm flexible, as The Apex Peak and Arete (with Volcano PS) are also on the short list, and those are SE. Based on its synergy with the GS-1, I'd be willing to guess that the D-1 should also do well with the Apex amps.

Sep 11, 2011 at 1:23 PM Post #737 of 951
I'll have to agree, I'm a bit disappointed to see the direction the D1 is taking. Why not make it a D2? I just want a great sounding DAC, I don't want to pay for things I don't even need, like balanced, or a built in amp. 

Quote:
In my opinion a fully balanced option is coming in contradiction with Anedio's moto that sounds like "Affordable High-End for everybody" ...

If only there were a chance to lower down the costs by reducing some of anedio's theatures like Amp section or less sparky design...

Sep 11, 2011 at 2:17 PM Post #738 of 951

Quote:
Having had both an Anedio and an EE, I felt the EE certainly had a higher degree of fit and finish.  I really saw no flaws w/ the EE.  While distinct, the casework of the Anedio had a rough finish, some minor tooling marks, the cut of the area behind the faceplate was uneven, the entire case itself was bowed a bit down the middle.  When picking up both the EE just felt more solid.  While none of this was to any great degree and while I thought the Anedio's design was quite cool, IMO on close inspection it had a bit of a DIY vibe, like a cheap hammond enclosure.  

I think that's part of the problem - the design portion of the D1 is great but the actual execution was not always up to the level that Anedio wanted. After working with various manufacturers, they apparently were unable to find one who could consistently deliver the high quality that they expected or were promised.

The new model will likely be more like the EE product - sacrificing some aesthetic appeal for more of that "solid" felling like you mentioned, while also reducing the cost. Or at least that's the idea anyway. 

Quote:
I'll have to agree, I'm a bit disappointed to see the direction the D1 is taking. Why not make it a D2? I just want a great sounding DAC, I don't want to pay for things I don't even need, like balanced, or a built in amp. 

I imagine that down the road they would like to be able to offer a wider range of models. Maybe a basic version with the core functionality but no extras, then a fully loaded model with everything, and perhaps a model or two in between.

All of that takes extra work though, and at the moment they just don't have the resources for it.  It's kind of like Schiit using the same basic enclosure for their gear - eventually they will probably have different colors or styles, but not yet. 

Sep 12, 2011 at 6:49 AM Post #739 of 951
I do not see what all the carping is about. The D1 is reliable, built well enough for anyone who is not terminally anal retentive and sounds absolutely fabulous.  What is not to like-and ballanced in a home system is HIGHLY overrated and usually sounds worse than SE. Sure if you have an AM xmitter out in the yard, you may need to run at +8dbm balanced to defeat interference, but in a home system. PLEASE! Regards

Sep 12, 2011 at 10:05 AM Post #741 of 951

Quote:

Seriously?  When I had one of these in my hands and thought of their motto "high-performance audio made accessible", the fit and finish is without a doubt where the "made accessible" comes into play.  Otherwise for the chip/technical execution, lack of need for a good DI, and solid headphone amp, this thing stands alone at the price.

But if moving forward the casework design is pointed out as a source of cost overrun its shoddy execution equally deserves to be pointed out.

Sep 12, 2011 at 11:11 AM Post #742 of 951

Quote:
What?  If casework design is a reason for cost overrun yet its shoddy it deserves to be pointed out.

I have never seen terminally as a prefix to anal retentive - I was laughing at the verbiage.

Sep 12, 2011 at 7:50 PM Post #744 of 951
beerchug.gif
I make beeg joke!

Sep 12, 2011 at 7:53 PM Post #745 of 951
You should see Transcriptors turntables! Talk about took marks. Seriously, though I prefer to pay for design excellence and build quality (inside) rather than exterior fit and finish although I will have to admit there is an awful lot of VERY expensive gear that appears to be DIY. Regards

Sep 16, 2011 at 7:00 PM Post #749 of 951

Quote:

You've mentioned in the past about the D1 having a digital sound, and I believe I now understand your meaning.

I've been listening to the Modwright Oppo BDP83 with tube mod and external PS, and while it did not sync well with the Sonett, it has good synergy with the Headamp GS1.

A few impressions:
- the modwright has a slightly richer tone while maintaining good detail resolution---it was after switching back to the D1, that I found the MW to come 2nd in terms of the latter. The D1 bests it in terms of detail, and that is something I am loath to give up.

- the D1 has a more precise attack, that gives a great sense of immediacy. Otoh the MW is more refined on the trailing edge---its sense of decay gives a smoother flow to the music, and is much more satisfying. The MW also has a deeper image than the D1, which seems to free up the sound a bit. It seems less crowded.

Sep 26, 2011 at 12:44 PM Post #750 of 951
Does anybody have any info/thoughts on when the revised D1 might become available?

Just my luck, the day I finally made up my mind to go for the Anedio was the day they suspended sales of the original version. And then I failed to notice the recent sale of the refurbished models. 
angry_face.gif

It's really hard waiting with so much other good stuff around. Currently, I am sorely tempted by both the W4S DAC2 and the new Plus version of the EE Minimax.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back