Review: Anedio D1 DAC - my new reference DAC
Aug 16, 2011 at 3:46 PM Post #691 of 951
It shouldn't really matter.  The D1 already has some pretty effective jitter reduction built in.

Aug 16, 2011 at 5:04 PM Post #692 of 951
I agree that in this application it probably won't be audible. They wanted to enable hi-res capabilities, so there is no reason not to go async, but it isn't really required with the D1. One good thing though is that the USB-SPDIF adapter probably will have an impact when used with other DACs that are less immune to jitter. 

I should hopefully have some updates from James soon. There was a bit of a family emergency and he had to take care of that, but should be back on track shortly. 

Aug 17, 2011 at 12:35 AM Post #693 of 951
My refurb was shipped promptly. Too bad I'm still in China and won't be able to listen for another couple of weeks 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Will be going SPDIF out from ESI Juli@, so not concerned about USB implementation 
k701smile.gif

Also, hoping to pick up an amp since it seems the HPA won't be sufficient for Beyer 880/600's.

Aug 17, 2011 at 12:51 AM Post #694 of 951
It seems that Chinese made DACs and Amps are very popular these days. In fact much more so than any other equipments. Why do you think this is? Is it product features and the high quality of components? The quality of sound? The affordable price? the support and warranty? Perceived value? Most pages of this forum are filled with subjects relating to Chinese made equipment and I am curious why it is so popular to audiophile enthusiasts? It makes me wonder why there has been such a paradigm shift away from Japanese, US, and European components to Chinese sourced products? Is it because China is an emerging economy leading the way while the rest of the world is declining? 

Aug 17, 2011 at 1:56 AM Post #695 of 951

Quote:
It seems that Chinese made DACs and Amps are very popular these days. In fact much more so than any other equipments. Why do you think this is? Is it product features and the high quality of components? The quality of sound? The affordable price? the support and warranty? Perceived value? Most pages of this forum are filled with subjects relating to Chinese made equipment and I am curious why it is so popular to audiophile enthusiasts? It makes me wonder why there has been such a paradigm shift away from Japanese, US, and European components to Chinese sourced products? Is it because China is an emerging economy leading the way while the rest of the world is declining? 

Because they make some great products. Easily, HIFIMAN orthodynamics come to mind. =)

Aug 19, 2011 at 10:09 AM Post #697 of 951

Quote:
My refurb was shipped promptly. Too bad I'm still in China and won't be able to listen for another couple of weeks 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Will be going SPDIF out from ESI Juli@, so not concerned about USB implementation 
k701smile.gif

Also, hoping to pick up an amp since it seems the HPA won't be sufficient for Beyer 880/600's.

You might like it well enough for your Beyers.... I guess it depends on what sort of levels you listen at. 

Quote:

I wouldn't say that Chinese DACs and amps are specifically sought after compared to offerings from other countries.... It's just that many Chinese products offer good value for the money. Plus it seems that China has an upswing with regards to interest in Hi-Fi gear. With that interest comes more companies designing and selling good stuff at low prices. A lot of that trickles over to us. 

There's a lot of good gear coming out of Korea as well. The difference is that they seem to focus more inwardly, while China seems to love selling in foreign markets, just generally speaking. 

Quote:
How does the Anedio compare to the Matrix Quattro?

The Anedio is on another level. It requires high end gear to figure that out though - if I connect my Musical Fidelity X-Can V8 and some HD650s, I can't really tell them apart. Switch to the Violectric V200 and HD800s and the differences are more easily discerned. It just goes farther in creating an utterly realistic experience, specifically with regards to soundstage, imaging, and inner detail. 

The Quattro is nothing to sneeze at though - tons of features, great sound, low price. 

Aug 19, 2011 at 11:02 AM Post #698 of 951

Quote:
There's a lot of good gear coming out of Korea as well. The difference is that they seem to focus more inwardly, while China seems to love selling in foreign markets, just generally speaking.

Now there's an irony. You would think that China would be more inner focused given its massive domestic market.

Quote:
The Anedio is on another level. It requires high end gear to figure that out though - if I connect my Musical Fidelity X-Can V8 and some HD650s, I can't really tell them apart. Switch to the Violectric V200 and HD800s and the differences are more easily discerned. It just goes farther in creating an utterly realistic experience, specifically with regards to soundstage, imaging, and inner detail. 

The Quattro is nothing to sneeze at though - tons of features, great sound, low price.

Given that the D1 is single ended and the Quattro is balanced , that says a whole lot about the D1. Very impressive.

PA

Aug 19, 2011 at 11:47 AM Post #699 of 951
I think from my limited listening time with the Quattro DAC what has really impressed me is how it sounds coupled to the Quattro amp in balanced mode...this at a cost just below $1000 for the combination...

This would still come in below the price of the Anedio so I wonder how the Quattro duo would fare against the Anedio DAC with its built in amp...

Aug 19, 2011 at 1:24 PM Post #700 of 951
Question for project86 (or other D1 owners who use an external headamp) -- how should the D1's volume control be optimally set to output the highest quality signal to a headphone amp with it's own volume control.   Should the D1 volume be set to 99 which would output it's full voltage to the amp or does it really make a difference?   I'm currently feeding my D1 into a Headamp GS-X, which I have found is a better match for HD800s than using the D1's amp.   The sound with this combo is pretty amazing but I "think" I hear very subtle differences depending on whether I set the D1 to 99 and then use low gain on the GS-X, vs dropping the D1's volume to 90 or less, and switching to higher gain on the GS-X.   I think the former sounds slightly better, but since two variables are involved (amp gain, D1 output), it's hard for me to know which would be considered best practice.   

Aug 20, 2011 at 12:35 AM Post #701 of 951

Quote:
Question for project86 (or other D1 owners who use an external headamp) -- how should the D1's volume control be optimally set to output the highest quality signal to a headphone amp with it's own volume control.   Should the D1 volume be set to 99 which would output it's full voltage to the amp or does it really make a difference?   I'm currently feeding my D1 into a Headamp GS-X, which I have found is a better match for HD800s than using the D1's amp.   The sound with this combo is pretty amazing but I "think" I hear very subtle differences depending on whether I set the D1 to 99 and then use low gain on the GS-X, vs dropping the D1's volume to 90 or less, and switching to higher gain on the GS-X.   I think the former sounds slightly better, but since two variables are involved (amp gain, D1 output), it's hard for me to know which would be considered best practice.   

Check out this post
ph34r.gif

Aug 20, 2011 at 5:47 AM Post #702 of 951
Here's an email reply from James at Anedio to a similar question back in May:

"The optimum volume settings on the D1 DAC and the SR-71A would depend on the overall gain.  I could not find the specifications for the SR-71A on their website, so I'm speaking in general. I would avoid the situation where either one of them is operating at a very low volume.  I would probably set the volume of the D1 DAC to "81", utilizing its full-scale digital range, and then use the SR-71A to control the volume.  But I would not hesitate to use the D1 volume control as it's extremely linear.  So please feel free to experiment both ways."

I've done it both ways and have not been able to tell the difference. I no longer use a SR-71B, I have the Peak/Volcano which is so resolving that I'm pretty sure would have noticed if there was degradation using the d1 at lower volumes. I have my rig in a corner spot that serves two locations, couch and workstation. From one I can reach the Peak volume control, and from the other I use the remote into the d1. I vary the d1 volume anywhere from the low 40's to 81. The Peak varies between 9-11'oclock.

Quote:

Aug 20, 2011 at 10:01 AM Post #703 of 951

I agree with what has already been posted - my D1 is usually set somewhere between 81 and 99, and I can't really tell a difference between settings in that range. I use it for very fine volume control when pairing it with a less precise external amp. 

Quote:
I think from my limited listening time with the Quattro DAC what has really impressed me is how it sounds coupled to the Quattro amp in balanced mode...this at a cost just below $1000 for the combination...

This would still come in below the price of the Anedio so I wonder how the Quattro duo would fare against the Anedio DAC with its built in amp...

I find the Quattro combo to be better for driving planar headphones as well as 600 ohm models. The Anedio is better as a DAC but the Quattro amp is a more extensive and powerful design compared to the integrated amp in the D1. I guess it depends on what you are using - With IEMs, I chose the Anedio, then the Quattro DAC, then the Quattro amp last. With the LCD-2, DT990/600, or balanced HD600 I like the Quattro amp most. 

Aug 20, 2011 at 11:25 AM Post #704 of 951

Quote:
Plus it seems that China has an upswing with regards to interest in Hi-Fi gear. With that interest comes more companies designing and selling good stuff at low prices. A lot of that trickles over to us. 

Also to be said about China is that from a professional perspective they are an engineering-centric culture.  Check out the top echelon of their government - http://singularityhub.com/2011/05/17/eight-out-of-chinas-top-nine-government-officials-are-scientists/

I have a feeling we are going to be seeing quite a few more Kingwas coming forward in the next few years.  

I do think the same can be said for Head-fi in general, unlike the rest of the audiophile world we are attracted to these types... people who have some serious domain knowledge in their chosen field vs. alot of smoke and mirrors.  James @ Anedio is certainly of that mold.  That you get several pages of plots of your own device from the bench is a much oohing and awwing experience (it was for me at least, personally 
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Aug 21, 2011 at 8:08 PM Post #705 of 951

Quote:
I'm currently feeding my D1 into a Headamp GS-X, which I have found is a better match for HD800s than using the D1's amp.   The sound with this combo is pretty amazing...

How would you describe the improvement of the GS-X over the D-1's built-in HPA?

One thing I'm noticing in the D-1 (HPA) > HD600, is the Senn tends to choke a little on highly dynamic passages resulting in loss of imaging and smearing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back