or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Review: Anedio D1 DAC - my new reference DAC
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Review: Anedio D1 DAC - my new reference DAC - Page 31

post #451 of 951
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZorgDK View Post

....Other than the size I like the design, it looks very good in person. It's nice to have a remote control too.

 


 

There is a relay that clicks in around 81 on the volume knob (switching between 81 and 82) that allows the anedio to continue to operating in its highest quality mode.  Just an FYI so that if you are using the remote to change volume you will hear the effect of the relay switching in, and at lower volume levels you will hear it externally to the headphones as well.  If you set your Lyr so that you are operting the anedio above or below that setting it will be seamless. 

post #452 of 951

@ZorgDK

That's really fortunate to have Anedio D1 DAC arrive in just a week. I almost had to wait 2 weeks and I blame customs in The Netherlands for that. Slow. Even though we both are in Europe wink.gif

 

post #453 of 951

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZorgDK View Post

The D1 pairs beautiful with the Schiit Lyr and HE-6. The Lyr compliments the D1 with its full tube sound and the HE-6 is displaying all the details from the D1. I've noticed that it's easier for me now to hear the differences between the different tubes I have for the Lyr because the D1 is so clear and neutral.


 

Billede0509.jpg

 

Looks like a great setup! And when evening comes you'll have a blue glowing Anedio and two red glowing tubes... cosy... cool.gif

 

post #454 of 951
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthling View Post



There is a relay that clicks in around 81 on the volume knob (switching between 81 and 82) that allows the anedio to continue to operating in its highest quality mode.  Just an FYI so that if you are using the remote to change volume you will hear the effect of the relay switching in, and at lower volume levels you will hear it externally to the headphones as well.  If you set your Lyr so that you are operting the anedio above or below that setting it will be seamless. 


You are correct, matter of fact I even emailed Anedio about this around a week ago and just like you say there is a relay switching between 81 & 82. This is how it works:

 

99: Circuits operating at their max level
98-82: Digital volume control
81: No digital volume control but -9dB relay activated
80-0: Digital volume control and - 9dB relay activated

 

So for this reason I currently have my Anedio set to 81 and do the rest of the volume control on the amplifier. Sure - I can't notice any problems at all when using the digital volume control....  but I have two volume controls and so I leave the Anedio at 81 since I believe that it *theoretically* should be a little better. Feel free to question my *theoretical conclusion* and experiment.... smily_headphones1.gif


Edited by TwoEars - 6/1/11 at 1:04pm
post #455 of 951

Why 81 and not just 99? what does the -9db relay do? lower gain?

post #456 of 951
The -9 db is perhaps done through discreet means and the rest is done digitally.
post #457 of 951


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinWolff View Post

The lights are fine, I just prefer it dark, eye issues. Also, I'm more of a "hide how much you've spent" type of audiophile, where most audiophiles want to show off their stuff and would argue that's part of the fun in this hobby, and the lights are good for that. 

 

I'm also considering the Lyr with the 6N23p tube roll. I want the liquid fire that everyone is talking about or something of that level of quality, but I just bought the d1 and the lcd-2's and need to keep perspective. The lyr is a lot of power for a little money. I found the valhalla boring and that's affecting my decision, even though the lyr is clearly a different amp. Schiit's 15-day / 5% restock makes it easier to demo at least. I have to research more and see which amps pair the best with the lcd-2's and the d1.

 

Have fun with your new D1 and keep us posted on your impressions.

 

6 business days to denmark. I'm only  an hour away from the company. Could my getting it this week be too much to hope for? (4 days) Probably but it's too late. My hopes are up high.

 



It took 3-4 business days from order submittal to get up here to Massachusetts.  Not all that bad - in fact it came before the weekend instead of after, which was great.  Of course, I wasn't fussy about the lights.  tongue_smile.gif

 

- Ed

post #458 of 951

I didn't get the D1 but I also just moved up from the MS2+ so I'm curious about your comments.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinWolff View Post

I'm coming from the Hrt music streamer II+ so I have high hopes for the d1. I'm using an RSA SR-71A amp. Has anyone tried the d1 with this amp?  Headphones are hd650 with blue dragon recable. Thinking about the LCD-2 but not sure if the SR-71a handles these well and can't afford a new 1-2k amp right now.



 

post #459 of 951

Since Permagrin already mentioned it I thought I'd share a pic of our recent DAC battle.  We didn't really get nearly enough time for a real comparison and I somehow forgot my music (that I'm used to listening too) but I enjoyed both DACs.  I actually recently took mine apart because it sounds close enough to my OPPO with the saber32 that I had to make sure they sent me the right model. 

 

Since its also come up, what I really want to try is the Audio-GD ref 7.1 because it has the 24bit PCM1704 R2R DAC that has to be a dream but it's entirely too big (and expensive) - I'm not sure it would even fit most audio cabinets.  But while the saber lends itself to very simple circuity the 1704 requires very complex circuitry which is more of an Audio-GD specialty...  My AGD DAC weights more than all three of my head amps put together.  So yea, its the one with 100 watts worth of power transformers and 25,000uf of capacitance, fully balanced, fully class-a - so yes fully overkill.

 

IMG_0643.JPG

post #460 of 951
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoEars View Post




You are correct, matter of fact I even emailed Anedio about this around a week ago and just like you say there is a relay switching between 81 & 82. This is how it works:

 

99: Circuits operating at their max level
98-82: Digital volume control
81: No digital volume control but -9dB relay activated
80-0: Digital volume control and - 9dB relay activated

 

So for this reason I currently have my Anedio set to 81 and do the rest of the volume control on the amplifier. Sure - I can't notice any problems at all when using the digital volume control....  but I have two volume controls and so I leave the Anedio at 81 since I believe that it *theoretically* should be a little better. Feel free to question my *theoretical conclusion* and experiment.... smily_headphones1.gif



Just a note, and a testiment to Anedio customer service, when I mentioned the relay to them, they offered to move the set point for me.

 

The set point allows them to control the crossover between the analog attenuator and the digital one in the DAC.  My guess is that the digital one would cause them to lose resolution although with 32 bits available it won't have any audible effect.

 

 

 

post #461 of 951
Quote:
Originally Posted by tme110 View Post

I didn't get the D1 but I also just moved up from the MS2+ so I'm curious about your comments.
 

I'll definitely post my ipressions. I was hoping for it to arrive this week, but after reading about every else's delivery times, I probably should gear up mentally for one last weekend with the msII+


 

 



 

post #462 of 951


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinWolff View Post

Why 81 and not just 99? what does the -9db relay do? lower gain?



I've tried both and to me I think it sounds slightly better at 81 with a higher volume on the amp than 99 and lower volume on the amp. At 99 the output stage is operating at its limit and sometimes I think I can desern very slight clipping issues if there is a passage with very heavy drumming or bass. I feel that with 81 and higher volume on the amp the presentation gets a little bit tighter and more relaxed, like if there was more headroom.

 

But we're really getting into details here and I certainly don't make a big deal out of it: 70, 80, 90.... it all sounds the same and fine to me really, no problems what so ever and I would not hesitate to use the digital volume control if I needed. But maybe, maybe, maybe that when you get into the 99 range the output stage gets a little bit stressed. But it could just be the synergy in my system as well.


Edited by TwoEars - 6/2/11 at 5:52am
post #463 of 951


Thanks for the info about how the volume knob work. I think controlling the volume on the D1 works great.

 

Today I revisited the D1 amp with the HE-6 and some different music and I have to say I like it more now. It actually can drive the HE-6 it just don't sound as good as with the Lyr. It lacks the punch of the Lyr and it doesn't go as high or low but it sounds smooth and pleasant. I went oldschool and mainly listened to Alan Parsons Project's Pyramid from 1978. I probably won't be using the D1 amp much but I like it's there for me to play with and so I can hear how it sounds without tube coloration. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinWolff View Post

The lights are fine, I just prefer it dark, eye issues. Also, I'm more of a "hide how much you've spent" type of audiophile, where most audiophiles want to show off their stuff and would argue that's part of the fun in this hobby, and the lights are good for that. 

 

I'm also considering the Lyr with the 6N23p tube roll. I want the liquid fire that everyone is talking about or something of that level of quality, but I just bought the d1 and the lcd-2's and need to keep perspective. The lyr is a lot of power for a little money. I found the valhalla boring and that's affecting my decision, even though the lyr is clearly a different amp. Schiit's 15-day / 5% restock makes it easier to demo at least. I have to research more and see which amps pair the best with the lcd-2's and the d1.

 

Have fun with your new D1 and keep us posted on your impressions.

 

6 business days to denmark. I'm only  an hour away from the company. Could my getting it this week be too much to hope for? (4 days) Probably but it's too late. My hopes are up high.

 


I know from the Lyr tube rolling thread that there are some that like the Lyr + LCD-2 combo. Since the Lyr is a hybrid I imagine it's less boring than the Valhalla. There's a lot of impact in the bass with the Lyr and I think the sound is crisp and sharp while being full. Good luck finding the right amp. 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoEars View Post

Quote:

 

Looks like a great setup! And when evening comes you'll have a blue glowing Anedio and two red glowing tubes... cosy... cool.gif

 

 

Cosy is right. :)
 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cky8 View Post

@ZorgDK

That's really fortunate to have Anedio D1 DAC arrive in just a week. I almost had to wait 2 weeks and I blame customs in The Netherlands for that. Slow. Even though we both are in Europe wink.gif

 


I know, when I ordered my Lyr it took 2-3 weeks also due to customs. Gotta hate those buggers that obstruct trade and take our money!

 


Edited by ZorgDK - 6/2/11 at 3:10pm
post #464 of 951

Do they let you know when it ships and provide tracking info or does it just show up? Same question for LCD-2. Audeze said it ships in a couple of days when i emailed them. But they don't even bother with order confirmation it seems.

post #465 of 951
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinWolff View Post

Do they let you know when it ships and provide tracking info or does it just show up? Same question for LCD-2. Audeze said it ships in a couple of days when i emailed them. But they don't even bother with order confirmation it seems.


I received notification with a tracking number when it shipped out. Don't know about Audeze.

 

 

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › Review: Anedio D1 DAC - my new reference DAC