Review: Anedio D1 DAC - my new reference DAC
Feb 27, 2011 at 10:40 AM Post #106 of 951

Quote:
Actually I sold the Woo Audio 6SE. I find it more that powerful enough for my Audio Technica W11R which is low impedance. Great all in one package for low impedance headphones at least. The WA 6SE didn't offer much more honestly. Just tube rolling options. I had the Beyerdynamic T1 but stupid me forgot to try it out of the Anedio =/  Maybe someone else will be able to chip in more impressions of high impedance headphones through it.

Also, I sold almost all my dynamic gear except for my ATH W11R and my Anedio. I'm going the Stax route with a Stax Omega 2 MK1 after having heard it at a meet.

Thanks for the comments. It is interesting to hear you say that a respected $1k amp doesn't offer much improvement over the built in amp. That mirrors my findings as well. Unless you really need the power for a planar type headphone, or a high impedance headphone, the built in amp is a very compelling option.

You should really enjoy that Stax setup. I do miss my O2 MKII, and even my 4070 at times (although those were about as flawed as they were brilliant so I couldn't justify keeping them). I might revisit some Stax one of these days.

Feb 27, 2011 at 12:44 PM Post #107 of 951

Quote:
So James has been great to allow me to demo the A1 amplifier.  Unfortunately, these OpusII-3's are CURRENT hogs, and the entire time of demo'ing the A1 amp it sounded strained, which made the speakers sound harsh and fatiguing.  At low listening volumes I could hear some subtle micro details that the XPA-1's missed, so yes these amps are incredibly detailed in bi-amp mode.  So if you have speakers that work well with tubes, then please give this amp a demo, you will be impressed - esp. with a pair in bi-amp mode. 

It's well documented that Wharfedale + tube amps are a no no due to lack of current.  The A1 are 10amps peak output current for those who are wondering.  So, I will be sending the A1's back to James, but be sure to reach out to him if you are interested in getting your hands on a pair for demo. 

Thanks for the impressions; very fair and balanced. If I ever get the chance for a permanent setup using monitor speakers, the A1 is now on my short list of amps to consider. Paired with maybe the new Green Mountain Audio Rio, or perhaps the Salk Veracity HT1, that could be a super detailed and clean setup.

Feb 27, 2011 at 4:18 PM Post #108 of 951
thank all of you guys for "updating" or may I have said : could you please keep your impression comming 
smile.gif

I'm currently searching for a good dac/headphone amp/ pre for almost a good year. I'm a new dad and my daughter makes it harder to save money...but gives more time to look for reviews :wink: and keeping in mind the idear of betin one that could extract the best out of the audeze LCD2.

lots of "good units" are poping up , the burson HA-160D, the centrance Dacmini, the forthcoming Mdac from audiolab, the NBF-10 from Audio-GD. I guess any unit could do the trick, but so far the Anedio seems to be a real challenger.

burson ha-160D and Dacmini both seems to have a great amp section, but with a good but not top noch dac. NBF-10 is a truly balance dac+amp unit, but it kind of seems that the ESS one is more cerebral than the more gutsy/fleshy wolfson. The Mdac is also a ESS based dac/headamp, and from the designer, will have the best headamp section of all their new products....but won't be available until at least 6 month.

And we have finaly the new peachtree inova wich seems a really interesting "all in one" but from my memories, on there previous products (idecco, nova) the headamp section was fine but not one of the best out there. But it seems that the inova is a phenomenal unit...

To sum up :
-it seems to me that people are selling gears after getting the Anedio D1... like a side effect to the fact that the anedio really is a keeper.
-I'm concerned about the impressive revolving power of the ess chip and affraid to be "lost in detail" more the engaged, emotionaly connected to the music"...but from your feedbacks, it seems that the anedio D1 is especialy involing, engaging! Am I still correct?
-then about the audeze LCD-2 bass quality, quantity, slam and PRaT are some of the requiered ability to drive them to there best. ...It seems that the D1 includes all that, and that's what make me keep on the D1 option. It seems to be a great "all arounder" and not a "very good at that kind of music, but less on this... kind of gear". Plus seems to have lots of stamina for low impedance headphones, so the LCD-2 should be fine!

Could you guys either agree or correct me if I'm making any mistakes.
I'm waiting for the stereomojo review as they seems familiar with some other ESS based dac.
But man...almost a year.... I'm really winting to pull the trigger soon on something I won't want to change some times latter.
best regards.
Q

Feb 28, 2011 at 12:28 PM Post #109 of 951
No, you can never be sure with the orthios, sure the LCD 2 are effitient, but you can never be sure.

on the other hand D1 has a great DAC that will pair nicely with any Amp . so its a god investement , overall .
I am almost set on buying these. :) 

Feb 28, 2011 at 7:54 PM Post #110 of 951
Hopefully more people take the jump on this, I'm very curious.  A buddy of mine has the Peachtree Audio iDecco, and ever since I heard it I've been looking for a similar DAC in that price range.  Up until now I haven't heard anything about Anedio.

Mar 5, 2011 at 8:21 AM Post #114 of 951
I'm really looking forward to read both singh impression on the anedio D1 and soulrider4ever impressions comparing the D1 with the burson HA-160D
Thanks for everyone, his thread is a real delight :)
Q

Mar 5, 2011 at 10:30 AM Post #115 of 951
I will audition the Anedio D1 today.
Will try with my Nelson Pass B1 buffer preamp and with direct connexion to my amp to see if digital volume is bad or not.

Will try AUdiophileo2 usb2spdif with the Anedio too.

More to follow tonight,

Mar 6, 2011 at 1:07 AM Post #116 of 951
Finally, it's a good dac.
Very nice details, deep soundstage with many layers.
React well with better power cords.

With Audiophileo usb2spdif, it's a good improvement over stock USB.

I prefer it without any preamp ... details are crazy, more laidback this manner.

Highly recommanded IMO.

Mar 6, 2011 at 7:03 AM Post #117 of 951

Quote:

I prefer it without any preamp ... details are crazy, more laidback this manner.

Highly recommanded IMO.

Thank you for sharing your opinion with us but I can't help being perplexed hearing a general statement like "With Audiophileo usb2spdif, it's a good improvement over stock USB", because this dac is using the wolfson reclocker on the usb path too and according to the manufacturer there is no difference. Of course the spdif inputs are being dejittered in 3 different ways too so you could have used almost any spdif source without differences.

Thank you

Mar 6, 2011 at 9:05 AM Post #118 of 951

Quote:
I too ordered the Anedio D1 :)

will post my impressions soon with K702 and Miracle ( miracle are out for refitting though ) 

After all that discussion I think you made the right choice. Sure, there are other DACs that cost less that will give you very good performance, and you could have gone with any one of them to save a little cash. But for all out sound quality, the Anedio was a smart move, especially when considering the quality of the built in amplifier. Let us know what you think when it arrives!

Quote:

Highly recommanded IMO.

Thanks for posting your impressions. I agree with your sentiments in general, although I too am puzzled by the Audiophileo addition causing an improvement. I personally can't tell the difference between the various inputs when using 16/44.1 material. Soulrider4ever tried a Halide Design Bridge USB to SPDIF converter and he couldn't tell a difference either. But to each their own.

I too prefer to use it alone rather than pair it with a preamp (when using it in a speaker system), unless I'm after some tube coloration or something. 

Mar 6, 2011 at 6:08 PM Post #119 of 951
Hi, I'm the original owner of the D1 briefly review by pompon. from what I've heard so far I'm very please with my purchase but keep in mind that theses are first impressions gathered  in only one day of critical listening. Those tests have been done with speakers not with headphones using the internal Amp. The internal usb spdif section was briefly tested against the audiophileo 2 interface  ( >suppose< to be better than the Halide Design Bridge) the general comments were that the vocals are more defined, sweet and liquid when using the audiophileo 2. It's very difficult to quantify the level of improvement, is it major? some people would say yes others no your choice. By the way  the same comment apply to the Xonar essence ST PCI  and this sound card is also a excellent transport with a very low jitter measured level!  It's also worth to mention that we were using a newly unboxed Big Twist silver wire RCA interconnect for this listening session Although not on cheap side this cable combined with the Anedio DI directly plugged into the power amplifier really makes the music shine with details and give a liquid and spacious aspect the overall presentation!

The bottom line is that this DAC is a great value  for it price. In the following weeks I will test the internal headphones amp section...

Mar 6, 2011 at 7:01 PM Post #120 of 951
I bought D1 , specifically for its DAC.
When i got my hands on the miracle i really enjoyed them , the soundstage and imaging are really good and it improved with every source i fed them with  ( used them with sanasa fuze, Sflo2 and Hm602 )
thats when i decided to get a top of the line ( of course my max budget was 1000 ) DAC.

D1 exceeded the budget , but, it gives me what i want - Neutral and transparent sound, Good soundstage and imaging.

I also considered the Audio GD DAC the Ref-5 and the Burson HA160 D, But finally decided to buy the D1 for its superior DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back