Review: Anedio D1 DAC - my new reference DAC
Jan 29, 2011 at 4:59 PM Post #77 of 951

Quote:
I just purchased a Halide Bridge USB to S/PDIF converter from agon, I will give a update on how it sounds with the Anedio

Awesome, I can't wait to hear your impressions (both of the Bridge and more of your Anedio impressions in general). I stumbled upon your comparison of the Matrix Mini-i and the Emotiva XDA-1 over at the Emo forums, and it was very well done. I'd love to read about your further experiences with the D1.

Feb 1, 2011 at 10:55 AM Post #78 of 951
Ok, so hooking up the Halide Bridge really did nothing for the D1.

I had both J. River and Foobar open playing the same files using either WASAPI or KS - same volume, I just switched between channel 1 (USB) and channel 2 (BNC).  I went through 96/24 files (downsampled to 48 on USB) and 48hz, as well as 44.1 - Norah Jones, FourPlay, Johnny Cash material - couldn't hear any difference.  Not even a hint of change.   I was hoping it would do at least something, but so far as my ears (and my wifes - who has better ears than I do lol) can tell, I heard 0 change.

I think that speaks well to how the D1 is implemented via USB and how well it is able to take care of the jitter on it's own.  So I sold the bridge this AM.  Either way, it was worth a shot!

As far as impressions for the D1, well I don't know that I can really add too much from your review, I back it 100% - it's the kind of DAC that puts you at peace about needing to try and find something else.

I went to a friends house who has a Denon SACD player, which has been put up against at least 15 other dacs and all of them were beaten by the Denon.  This was the first DAC he ever heard in his system that sounded better. (Including one he had built himself) It was more refined & relaxed while being just as detailed and spacious in sound.

We did also compare the Anedio to his $5k LP setup, and while the LP was better sounding than his Denon, the Anedio was in no way embarrased either.  Just a wonderful dac.

Feb 1, 2011 at 11:07 AM Post #79 of 951

Quote:
Quote:
I really want this, unfortunately it's only available in USA. Sucks, why did I have to see this review?

You could work something out with someone in the US, myself included.

I'd be very interested in working out an arrangement to have this shipped from the States. If there was any kind soul willing to do this I'd be very appreciative :0).

Feb 1, 2011 at 12:26 PM Post #80 of 951

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I really want this, unfortunately it's only available in USA. Sucks, why did I have to see this review?

You could work something out with someone in the US, myself included.

I'd be very interested in working out an arrangement to have this shipped from the States. If there was any kind soul willing to do this I'd be very appreciative :0).

As long as I check it and get a listen, and everything is insured, We could definitely work something out. The Anedio is currently beyond my reach, but i would be happy to help another head-fier get it. I checked a meet impressions thread over there, and it looks vibrant. Shoot me a PM.

Feb 1, 2011 at 2:33 PM Post #82 of 951

Quote:
Ok, so hooking up the Halide Bridge really did nothing for the D1.

I had both J. River and Foobar open playing the same files using either WASAPI or KS - same volume, I just switched between channel 1 (USB) and channel 2 (BNC).  I went through 96/24 files (downsampled to 48 on USB) and 48hz, as well as 44.1 - Norah Jones, FourPlay, Johnny Cash material - couldn't hear any difference.  Not even a hint of change.   I was hoping it would do at least something, but so far as my ears (and my wifes - who has better ears than I do lol) can tell, I heard 0 change.

I think that speaks well to how the D1 is implemented via USB and how well it is able to take care of the jitter on it's own.  So I sold the bridge this AM.  Either way, it was worth a shot!

As far as impressions for the D1, well I don't know that I can really add too much from your review, I back it 100% - it's the kind of DAC that puts you at peace about needing to try and find something else.

I went to a friends house who has a Denon SACD player, which has been put up against at least 15 other dacs and all of them were beaten by the Denon.  This was the first DAC he ever heard in his system that sounded better. (Including one he had built himself) It was more refined & relaxed while being just as detailed and spacious in sound.

We did also compare the Anedio to his $5k LP setup, and while the LP was better sounding than his Denon, the Anedio was in no way embarrased either.  Just a wonderful dac.

Interesting, thanks very much for the info. I suspected the USB situation might be that way. Thanks for trying it out.

Feb 1, 2011 at 3:33 PM Post #84 of 951
Yeah possibly, though I imagine one would get stung with customs either way and I doubt shipping costs would be that much cheaper done through Anedio.
For me it just comes down to whether there'd be any problems plugging it into the wall or if it needs a convertor.

Feb 8, 2011 at 10:21 PM Post #87 of 951
HOLY MOLY I just got my Anedio for 30 minutes and from my previous Ibasso D10, I knew there would be a improvement, but I didn't think there would be THIS MUCH improvement. My W11R already had really great soundstage, but now they literally sound like open headphones.

One thing that I was worried about with increased soundstage was losing impact in rock songs. My worries were put to rest with the first rock song I put on. The impact was all there, but now everything is just more enjoyable. Cymbals have MUCH more accurate timbre. Guitars and bass hit just as hard.

I'll need more time, but if it doesn't give me any problems, I know I'm not sending this back.

Feb 10, 2011 at 8:40 PM Post #88 of 951
Hmm now i am a bit confused . ! :frowning2:

What about AKG K702 ? its rated 62ohms but is one of the most ineffetiend HPs you come accross. will the Anedio be able to drive hem properly  ? 

Feb 10, 2011 at 9:35 PM Post #89 of 951
I don't think the Anedio will cure the problem with bass impact that members complain about in the AKG K701. The Anedio's headphone out sound very clean with my low impedance headphones. AKG K701s tend to get recommended upfront or bassy colored amplifiers. The Anedio headphone out doesn't do any of that. There is, however, immense clarity, extension of low and high ranges, and soundstage. Some sounds will sound a bit more distant.

The other day I was thinking that I probably should have gotten the Anedio D1 first for my low impedance cans, rather than my Woo Audio tube first. The Woo gave more warmth and much better synergy with my headphones, but I don't think they offered too much more in terms of amplification. Bass impact on either amps is rather similar, but the edge goes to the Woo. I think the Anedio is an excellent all-in-one compact choice for low impedance headphones until you can afford a better amplifier.

Quote:
Hmm now i am a bit confused . ! :frowning2:

What about AKG K702 ? its rated 62ohms but is one of the most ineffetiend HPs you come accross. will the Anedio be able to drive hem properly  ? 

Feb 11, 2011 at 12:44 AM Post #90 of 951
I dont have a problem with K702's bass. rather i want a clean and neutral source+AMp to drive them .

I just wanted to know weather the D1 's amp will have enough power for the K702.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back