Review: Anedio D1 DAC - my new reference DAC
Dec 31, 2010 at 6:22 PM Post #48 of 951
I hadn't even thought of that but I suppose a deal could be worked out with someone in the USA to buy the unit for you and have it shipped. Obviously you would have to be extremely careful about who you chose to do this; you would want a well established trader with extensive and impeccable feedback. It would be inherently risky, and would add extra cost to the transaction, but might be worth it in the end.

Dec 31, 2010 at 11:18 PM Post #49 of 951
Is there no kind of courier service that offers something to accommodate a situation such as this? 

Just a thought.

Best of luck!

Jan 1, 2011 at 6:32 PM Post #51 of 951

Quote:
Anedio dac and amp are reviewed by Positive Feedback.

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue53/anedio.htm

Thanks for the link, interesting reading. It seemed that they really liked the D1 DAC although that reviewer is clearly not much of a headphone guy. They also seemed to like the A1 amp well enough, but liked it a whole lot more in a dual bi-amp configuration.

StereoMojo has an upcoming review for the D1 as well. They list it as a "World's First Review" though which is obviously not the case by now.... Still, Anedio deserves every bit of positive publicity they can get.

Jan 1, 2011 at 7:02 PM Post #52 of 951

Quote:
They list it as a "World's First Review"

I did laugh when I saw that.
smile.gif

Jan 3, 2011 at 8:22 PM Post #55 of 951

Quote:
Hi Project86 Sir:

Please advice that what is your opinion regarding Anedio D-1 and EE Minimax DAC, which one sounds better? Thanks!

Sorry, I have yet to encounter the EE Minimax. I have read this review though:

http://www.stereomojo.com/Eastern%20Electric%20MiniMax%20DAC%20Review/EasternElectricMiniMaxDACReview.htm

Although I don't particularly agree with some of their comments about cables and such, much of what they are describing also applies to the Anedio D1. My favorite part is when the third reviewer says:

At this point, you may be asking, "So James, are you saying you like the $750 EE MiniMax DAC better than the PS Audio $3,000 Perfect Wave?"

But then never really answers the question. Presumably the answer is yes but he doesn't want to admit it.

Jan 5, 2011 at 10:50 AM Post #56 of 951

Quote:
Moving on to usage: one nice feature of the D1 is that the volume control applies to both the headphone amp section and the RCA outputs. So this DAC can be connected directly to a power amp, negating the need for a separate preamp. Anedio feels that eliminating a separate preamp in the signal chain can be a very significant method for improving transparency in a playback system. It can also save money for someone assembling a system from scratch. This option is similarly offered on the Wyred 4 Sound DAC2 but not the cheaper DAC1.

Why not?. In the front there is an up and down buttons.   Don't they control volume out?.

Jan 5, 2011 at 12:45 PM Post #57 of 951

Quote:
Quote:
Hi Project86 Sir:

Please advice that what is your opinion regarding Anedio D-1 and EE Minimax DAC, which one sounds better? Thanks!

http://www.stereomojo.com/Eastern%20Electric%20MiniMax%20DAC%20Review/EasternElectricMiniMaxDACReview.htm

Although I don't particularly agree with some of their comments about cables and such, much of what they are describing also applies to the Anedio D1. My favorite part is when the third reviewer says:

At this point, you may be asking, "So James, are you saying you like the $750 EE MiniMax DAC better than the PS Audio $3,000 Perfect Wave?"

But then never really answers the question. Presumably the answer is yes but he doesn't want to admit it.

Project86, if you test the EE Minimax please compare it to the Yulong D100 :) i'm very curious about the result.

Jan 6, 2011 at 1:44 PM Post #58 of 951

Quote:

Quote:
Moving on to usage: one nice feature of the D1 is that the volume control applies to both the headphone amp section and the RCA outputs. So this DAC can be connected directly to a power amp, negating the need for a separate preamp. Anedio feels that eliminating a separate preamp in the signal chain can be a very significant method for improving transparency in a playback system. It can also save money for someone assembling a system from scratch. This option is similarly offered on the Wyred 4 Sound DAC2 but not the cheaper DAC1.

Why not?. In the front there is an up and down buttons.   Don't they control volume out?.

Nope, they are only for selecting your input as far as I know. Here's a blurb from a 6Moons review: http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/wyred4/dac.html

"Only the DAC2 gets the 32-bit on-chip digital volume control enabled and a remote wand. It also upgrades the LCD to a VDE readout. That displays not just input and sampling options like the DAC1 but the bypassable variable output level."

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hi Project86 Sir:

Project86, if you test the EE Minimax please compare it to the Yulong D100 :) i'm very curious about the result.

If I ever get a chance to have the Minimax for testing I'll certainly post about it.

Jan 6, 2011 at 3:08 PM Post #59 of 951
Just a quick update: Anedio advises me that they are working on being able to sell to other countries besides the USA. They are working with an independant test lab to achieve the proper certifications required for other countries, and hope to be finished within a few months. This is a very costly process for a small company, but it is certainly the right thing to do. So anyone reading this but feeling left out because you don't live in the US: be patient.

Jan 7, 2011 at 2:23 PM Post #60 of 951

Quote:
Just a quick update: Anedio advises me that they are working on being able to sell to other countries besides the USA. They are working with an independant test lab to achieve the proper certifications required for other countries, and hope to be finished within a few months. This is a very costly process for a small company, but it is certainly the right thing to do. So anyone reading this but feeling left out because you don't live in the US: be patient.

Thanks for the update. That is some GREAT news :)  Can't wait .....

OH, btw ...  thanks for the great review project86. Reading this review might end up at over $3000 (if I go bi-amp)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back