Review and discussions - Audioengine D1 24/96 USB and Optical DAC/amp for laptops and computers
Oct 25, 2012 at 3:58 AM Post #286 of 398
Quote:
do you guys pair yours with an amp?

I mostly use the D1 RCA output to power my Audioengine A2 powered speakers in my Macbook Pro rig, which conveniently shuts off the speakers when I plug in a portable headphone or earphone for a quick listen.  So, I mainly use the D1 built-in amp when I'm using portable headphones with shorter cables, since it's often more convenient to listen to those with the headphone jack right next to my Macbook.  

It's not very convenient in my setup to run a set of 7-8 foot RCA cables into a full size amp in my rack behind me, so I pretty much don't feed the D1 into another amp these days.  However, if it was convenient I'd have no issue feeding a nicer desktop amp with the D1, since it's RCA output sounds a bit more transparent and spacious than the built-in headphone amp.

Nov 2, 2012 at 12:21 PM Post #287 of 398
Has anyone compared the D1 to the FiiO E09k+E17 combo?  I use the D1 for portable, but was looking to get a nice inexpensive setup to leave on my Mac Pro...

Nov 2, 2012 at 3:42 PM Post #290 of 398
then you need something much better, the D1 is good, happy with mine, but it is an entry level product

using HD600 you'll just expose the weaknesses of the D1

Nov 2, 2012 at 4:21 PM Post #291 of 398
I've used the HD650 with D1 (and Moon Audio Silver Dragon cables).  Sounds a little syrupy to my ears.  Very forgiving and enjoyable...but not the last word in microdynamics and resolution.

Nov 6, 2012 at 1:37 AM Post #293 of 398
Quote:
Hi,

I'm about to purchase a pair of Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro. However, which Ohm-version will be the best fit for the D1? 80 or 250?

My understanding is that Beyers that come in a variety of impedances can sound very different from each other, and so wont always sound best with the same amp.  So, someone who owns a DT770 and D1 will have to answer that one.

Nov 6, 2012 at 5:30 AM Post #294 of 398
Quote:

My understanding is that Beyers that come in a variety of impedances can sound very different from each other, and so wont always sound best with the same amp.  So, someone who owns a DT770 and D1 will have to answer that one.

Well, I like the 250 Ohm version better, but havn't (and can't) try it on a D1. I'm just wondering if the D1 will have a hard time to deliver to a 250Ohm or that the 80Ohm fits better.

Dec 4, 2012 at 3:39 PM Post #295 of 398
I am thinking about getting this dac. I'm running Linux and wonder if anyone could confirm/deny the following.

When using the line out/RCA, can one control the sound volume (i.e. the main volume control) using the keyboard? Or does one have to use the volume knob on the D1 or the volume sliders in the player/software (e.g. Deadbeef). I read that the main volume control is disabled in OSX and I'm wondering if the D1 behaves in the same way while using Linux. (I'm running Linux Mint Debian). I'd like to be able to use my keyboard buttons to control the (main) volume when I'm listening through my amp/loudspeakers. Headphone use will amount to just about less than 50% of all listening. If this also is default in Linux, I hope one has the chance to reroute what volume control is controlling (I'm quite a newbie in every respect, hence my question)...

Dec 10, 2012 at 1:36 AM Post #296 of 398
I am thinking about getting this dac. I'm running Linux and wonder if anyone could confirm/deny the following.

When using the line out/RCA, can one control the sound volume (i.e. the main volume control) using the keyboard? Or does one have to use the volume knob on the D1 or the volume sliders in the player/software (e.g. Deadbeef). I read that the main volume control is disabled in OSX and I'm wondering if the D1 behaves in the same way while using Linux. (I'm running Linux Mint Debian). I'd like to be able to use my keyboard buttons to control the (main) volume when I'm listening through my amp/loudspeakers. Headphone use will amount to just about less than 50% of all listening. If this also is default in Linux, I hope one has the chance to reroute what volume control is controlling (I'm quite a newbie in every respect, hence my question)...

Because Mac OSX is based on Linux, and some DACs support system volume control with it and some don't, I'm thinking the lack of system volume control is due to the DAC receiver chip and not due to the OS. I can still control the volume from within the app that I am using, like iTunes or in Safari with many videos.

Dec 15, 2012 at 6:17 AM Post #297 of 398
I'm interested in buying this little device as my first DAC/AMP combo.

I have a couple of doubts though:

1. Will I be able to use it as a sort of Amp only (through the Optical-in)?
I'm planning to buy a Xonar/X-Fi sound card as well and I'd like to be able to feed the D1 an already processed sound (when playing games for instance), thus "bypassing" the DAC.
I know that the Optical-in is still digital (so the need of a DAC), but, I wouldn't want the D1 to act as a soundcard. I guess it's about the same as connecting the D1 via Optical to any other non-computer source.

2. Can anyone comment on how the D1 would drive a pair of Beyer DT990 Pro (250 ohms)?

Dec 23, 2012 at 11:35 PM Post #298 of 398
I got mine yesterday and every time I turn it on I hear a little "click" inside the actual device, if I turn it on with headphones inside the jack, a tiny "pop" is also audible in the left speaker

any feedback?

thanks

Dec 24, 2012 at 4:10 AM Post #299 of 398
Quote:
I'm interested in buying this little device as my first DAC/AMP combo.

I have a couple of doubts though:

1. Will I be able to use it as a sort of Amp only (through the Optical-in)?
I'm planning to buy a Xonar/X-Fi sound card as well and I'd like to be able to feed the D1 an already processed sound (when playing games for instance), thus "bypassing" the DAC.
I know that the Optical-in is still digital (so the need of a DAC), but, I wouldn't want the D1 to act as a soundcard. I guess it's about the same as connecting the D1 via Optical to any other non-computer source.

2. Can anyone comment on how the D1 would drive a pair of Beyer DT990 Pro (250 ohms)?

Since the only inputs of the D1 are digital, USB or Optical, it will always go through the D1's AKM4396 DAC for decoding into analog.  There is no analog input for "amp only" operation.  You can still use your Xonar/X-Fi to process the sound and connect the optical out of the Xonar into the D1.  All the D1 needs is 5V USB power to run.

If it can drive my HD600 then it should be able to drive the Beyer 250ohm.  I have not tried the Beyer though.

Dec 24, 2012 at 11:35 AM Post #300 of 398
I was also noticing popping on the headphones,and it was driving me crazy, but I switched to the other USB pot and that fixed the problem, could it be that it wasn't getting enough power from the other port? also you can't really listen at low volumes because it cracks like crazy, you have to turn it up to a moderate level to eliminate the problem. BTW all of my testings have been with the V Moda M-80, I think they pair up nicely, it's a fairly laid back and lush signature, with the Philips Uptown I only heard one sone, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band by The Beatles, and I was really impressed. I didn't really like it with the SRH440 as I thought it brought out the boring sound signature and gave it some sibilance. Overall I haven't noticed a HUGE improvement over the built in sound card of my MB, but everything sounds smoother, and instruments more separated, but it didn't made the headphones sound like a new pair of headphones, which is good I guess, If their is not a huge improvement from this until we get talking $1000's of dollars, I think I'll stick to this DAC and concentrate on the phones and amps, I have some DT880s coming in the mail, I wonder how they perform with this, since they are the 60ohm, but most likely I'll need to get new amp

Users who are viewing this thread

Back