Review and discussions - Audioengine D1 24/96 USB and Optical DAC/amp for laptops and computers
Apr 7, 2012 at 6:20 AM Post #136 of 398
wondering if a DAC like this would be a step up from the DAC in an audio interface like my Edirol FA-101 firewire? thinking to run a pair of beyer t70s (apparently quite easy to drive). they both have built in headphone amp too, is the one in this OK? the OP seems to say it is

Apr 10, 2012 at 11:39 PM Post #137 of 398
Just compared the Audioengine D1 and NFB-12 DACs. To my ears the D1 gives more clarity and bigger soundstage with the Matrix M-Stage/AKG q701. Both the USB and Optical inputs have exactly the same advantage. I am selling the NFB-12, thought it might be better or at least different but it's just not as good as a DAC. The only thing I will miss about it is the ability to switch for USB and Optical. 

Apr 11, 2012 at 5:41 PM Post #138 of 398

Quote:

I currently use both the D1 and the DACport, though with low-impedance phones (Denon D2000, D5000, Grado HF2) and IEMs (Ety HF5). So while I can't comment on their performance with the hd600s and other high impedance phones, I do find that in my setup the DACport sounds audibly purer, more delicate, and a little more detailed than the D1. It images a little better, too, and does a noticeably better job of making instruments sound distinct from each other. In comparison, various instruments heard through the D1 sounds a little grayish and undifferentiated in timbre, as though made from the same material. And that's comparing the D1 heard through a good (glass) TOSlink cable—I find the USB input on the D1 pretty unremarkable, while the DACport's USB implementation seems far more thorough—the DACport's sonic background are also noticeably quieter than the D1s over either input, even at maximum gain. The DACport has pretty good impact, too, and hits hard when it needs to. The only areas where I prefer the D1 are bass—the DACport sounds tight but a little light—and drive: the D1 just has more, and sounds more authoritative when pushed. Most of the time, lately, I find myself plugging in the DACport, and the D1 isn't getting much use.

Hope this helps.

I would disagree. I listened to a dacport and a d1 when making my decision and the d1 seems to sound equal to if not better than the dacport, at least for instrumental music. The dacport did make the bass better for low volumes though( Still not $250 better)

Apr 12, 2012 at 5:47 PM Post #139 of 398
I can't decide between D1 and HRT HeadStreamer to use with my Denon D2000 from a laptop. As I understand D1 is warmer but has impedance of 10 ohm where the Denon likes amp with low imp (< 1 ohm). HS has low imp but it is brighter and I am not sure how this will work with denon hot treble.

Which one you think will pair better with Denon D2000?

Apr 12, 2012 at 6:02 PM Post #140 of 398
Buy one through Amazon and if it doesn't work out , return it (very easy to do with them) and try the other. Amazon has a super easy return process and won't give you any crap about it.

Apr 15, 2012 at 8:57 AM Post #142 of 398
Can anyone compare the D1 to the Fiio E10 and E17. I know that E17 is better than E10 in every way sound wise, so wondering where the D1 is on that spectrum given its price of $169 whereas the two Fiio products are $80 and $140. Any insight on this would be helpful.

Apr 16, 2012 at 3:34 AM Post #143 of 398

Quote:
Can anyone compare the D1 to the Fiio E10 and E17. I know that E17 is better than E10 in every way sound wise, so wondering where the D1 is on that spectrum given its price of $169 whereas the two Fiio products are $80 and $140. Any insight on this would be helpful.

I have a similar decision to make. D1 or E17. I want optical input and will mostly use the DAC with my desktop computer.The location of the optical input on E17 is kind of a drawback for me because it's on the same side the headphone output located. 

Can anyone tell me base on the spec on both devices, which one has better DAC chip and AMP chip? Thanks.

Apr 17, 2012 at 12:34 AM Post #145 of 398
Most likely the back, because the optical output is on the back of the desktop. So I guess the D1 is a better choice?

p.s. I am receiving both of them tomorrow. Can't wait to try them out. I hope I can decide which to keep soon.
biggrin.gif

Apr 17, 2012 at 1:09 PM Post #146 of 398

Quote:
I have a similar decision to make. D1 or E17. I want optical input and will mostly use the DAC with my desktop computer.The location of the optical input on E17 is kind of a drawback for me because it's on the same side the headphone output located. 

Can anyone tell me base on the spec on both devices, which one has better DAC chip and AMP chip? Thanks.

Having just bought the D1 I can say without hesitation that if you don't need the very portable nature of the Fiio E17 with battery power than it might be better to go with the D1. I'm simply loving the sound this little DAC can produce. Very good instrument separation , very full sound. I believe in terms of DAC specs the D1 has a slightly superior DAC overall to the Fiio E17. But really when the difference is "slight" its really so small that the likely possibility you would notice would be unlikely.

Apr 18, 2012 at 2:21 AM Post #147 of 398
Well so far I'm still having no problems with it. Foobar required me to lower the buffer to 50ms to prevent the dreaded "popping". But after that pretty much all good. 

I do notice that when you are using the RCA output the volume knob controls the level of output which is a bit of a let down since I was expecting the RCA outputs to bypass that part of the DAC. 

Apr 18, 2012 at 5:54 PM Post #149 of 398
It can drive my HD600s AD-H2000 and AKG 270P with no problems. With Foobar volume on 100%, the D1 rarely goes above a third of the way.

Apr 19, 2012 at 2:39 AM Post #150 of 398

Quote:
could this sufficiently or atleast decently power the beyerdynamic t1's?

Timbre and tone-wise it should match the sound of the T1 fairly well; however, 600ohm headphones like a lot of voltage swing and the D1 is only running off of a 5v power supply.  So my guess would be that it won't be optimal.  The DACmini running on a 15v PSU was the minimum I thought was optimal with the T1, and the Schitt Valahalla was even better with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back