Review and discussions - Audioengine D1 24/96 USB and Optical DAC/amp for laptops and computers
Feb 22, 2012 at 12:58 AM Post #91 of 398

Quote:
So I'm new here, and new to DACs.  I bought the Audioengine D1 and after tinkering w/ settings (to 24/96), I find it sounds no better than the headphone out in my HP DV7 laptop when hooked up to my home system (NAD T763 running KEF reference series speakers).  My old Sony CD changer sounds much brighter and fuller.  I did, however, notice that my Audio Technica ES-W9 cans sound better when running the D1. 

So can anyone recommend anything I can do to get the D1 sound better thru my home system or should I simply send the D1 back and replace it with an HRT Music Streamer II?  Please help!

If you are using a PC you'll need to install software/drivers to bypass the windows mixer, maybe ASIO4ALL or ASAPI or something.  I'm a Mac user, so I can't advise more detailed than that.

Feb 22, 2012 at 7:53 AM Post #92 of 398
I got mine a couple of weeks ago, out of my Vaio 2010 Win7 via USB it certainly sounds much much better than using the Sonys headphone output.

BUT - and this a big BUT, why on earth is the line level going via the volume pot?
IT IS NOT a line out, it's a preamp out.

they really missed a trick there.

Feb 22, 2012 at 11:48 AM Post #93 of 398
Thanks guys.  Not sure I want to mess w/ the drivers to bypass Windows Mixer, or really if I need to.  I thought the outboard D1 DAC was supposed to inherently bypass any sound drivers upon plug-in, and I am using Foobar2000 which I understand is also able to bypass Windows Mixer but I haven't messed w/ the software settings yet (I'll try that next). 

KT66, did you get a D1 or an HRT II?  fwiw, I have the volume settings on the PC and on the D1 to 100%.  Is there some other combination I can try to get the D1 to brighten up?  I find it to be diminished in the higher end, but stronger in bass and mid than my old CD player. 

Feb 23, 2012 at 8:33 PM Post #94 of 398
I ordered the D1 today.  Looking forward to hearing how it will perform on my PC/J River 17/Denon AH-D5000 combo and how it will compare to my old E-MU 0202 box.

Feb 23, 2012 at 11:07 PM Post #95 of 398

Quote:
I ordered the D1 today.  Looking forward to hearing how it will perform on my PC/J River 17/Denon AH-D5000 combo and how it will compare to my old E-MU 0202 box.

It's a good combo with my LA7000 (modded D7000) and Macbook, so hopefully you'll like it too.

Feb 24, 2012 at 2:19 AM Post #96 of 398
For anyone that wants to use D1 with Linux.

I have tested this DAC through USB with Ubuntu Studio and it syncs very well. The studio distro is using a low-latency kernel so you know it's got to be good for your audiophile needs. The bit-perfect streaming is FLAWLESS ... no popping like I used to get in foobar or JR on Win7  No matter what FLACs you throw at it, it runs fine. I tried DeadBeef and Audacious and both of these players are good. If anyone has questions please let me know. There is quite a bit on HF about linux and dacs but I thought I should let everyone know that D1 works good with the penguin.

Cheers and Hail Linux !!!!

Questions?PM.

Feb 24, 2012 at 2:25 PM Post #97 of 398

Quote:
If you are using a PC you'll need to install software/drivers to bypass the windows mixer, maybe ASIO4ALL or ASAPI or something.  I'm a Mac user, so I can't advise more detailed than that.

I believe that only applies to PCs running XP and earlier. If you have Vista or 7, then the much superior WASAPI replaces the windows Kmixer driver. Moreover, some player software (J River MC, for example) features WASAPI Event Style. It let's the audio subsystem pull data (when events are set) instead of pushing data to the system. This allows lower latency buffer sizes, and removes an unreliable Microsoft layer (according to The Computer Audiophile).

I'm excited to get my Audioengine D1 in a few days!

Feb 24, 2012 at 2:49 PM Post #98 of 398
So I am now using JRiver 17, and in addition to what I still find to be diminished sound on the higher end from the D1, I'm now experiencing popping/clicking sounds during playback (sounds like dirty vinyl).  I'm gonna throw in the towel and return it.  Moving on to an HRT II+ that I bought used from a fellow Head-Fier.  Hope the upgrade is worth it.

Feb 24, 2012 at 3:02 PM Post #99 of 398

Quote:
So I am now using JRiver 17, and in addition to what I still find to be diminished sound on the higher end from the D1, I'm now experiencing popping/clicking sounds during playback (sounds like dirty vinyl).  I'm gonna throw in the towel and return it.  Moving on to an HRT II+ that I bought used from a fellow Head-Fier.  Hope the upgrade is worth it.

Hi Skawt01,

It's unfortunate that you're experiencing these issues with your D1 and JRiver 17.  Hopefully, before you return it you'll have tried tinkering around with the various J River settings under Tools/Options/Audio/Audio Output and Audio Output Settings.

I've experienced similar problems in the past (pops, clicks, poor playback) with other DACs, but have resolved them quickly by adjusting Sample Rate, Bit Depth and (most importantly) buffer size settings.  Please give these all a try.

Good luck!

Feb 24, 2012 at 4:44 PM Post #100 of 398

Quote:

I got my JR 17 setup to have no popping at all with WASAPI. Foobar and WINAMP I could not fix the and just gave up. I would give it a try and fix the damn thing.
biggrin.gif

Feb 24, 2012 at 5:04 PM Post #101 of 398
Soundlikes,  Did you choose Wasapi or Wasapi Event?  I am using Wasapi (non event), and changed the output settings in Windows for the D1 to 24/96. 

Kenammo, can you please tell me how to change the buffer settings?  Not sure what to do w/ that info exactly.

Thanks guys.  I really appreciate your assistance!

Feb 24, 2012 at 7:37 PM Post #102 of 398
Hi Skawt01.

There's two areas under TOOLS/OPTIONS/AUDIO in which to adjust buffer sizes.  Here's the screenshots:

Also, you should visit the J River Support Forum here http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/ for tons of FAQs, solutions and personal help.

Best of luck!!

Feb 27, 2012 at 6:24 PM Post #104 of 398

Quote:
It's a good combo with my LA7000 (modded D7000) and Macbook, so hopefully you'll like it too.

Mine arrived today and I'm checking it out right now.  My criteria for purchasing this was (hopefully) an improvement over my current USB DAC, the E-MU 0202.  Thus far, it has exceeded my expectations in sound quality and power for driving my Denon D5000's. Installation and setup with my PC and my J River 17 player was a snap too. No pops, no distortion. No errors.

I'm very impressed with this little and inexpensive DAC.

Feb 27, 2012 at 7:08 PM Post #105 of 398
Kenammo,  Glad you like your D1.  And thank you for posting your JRiver settings.  I tweaked them on my own but I didn't know what I was doing and I'm still getting the popping/clicking. 

However, today I received a used HRT II+, so I'll have a chance to compare the D1 (that I plan to send back) to it after I plug in your settings.  I have great hopes for the HRT but it may very well pop like the D1 does w/ my current settings.  I'll report back and let you know if your settings worked for me. 

Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back